“Great place for ribs AND crab cakes”

Bare Bones Grill and Brewery
Ranked #8 of 174 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Bare Bones is not only a gret place for ribs and burgers, it is also a place to get great Maryland crab cakes! This was a very pleasant surprise. They were the best ever-very little filler and lots of lump crabmeat. Could not believe the size of them. The caeser salad was crisp and served with lots of cheese. The baked potatoe could have been a little larger but it was deliciious, The sides of veggies were done correclty and were served with butter on the side, We ordered a take out meal and it too was great. Would definitely go back. Friendly atmosphere with sports access to watch a game.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Bare Bones is a reasonably priced restaurant with an ‘American fare’ menu. It also has its own brewery with a nice range of 8 beers from an American light to a heavy Porter style beer. From Monday to Thursday they have daily ‘specials’ for both the appetizers and the entrées. They also sometimes have a beer special.

The restaurant is situated just off Route 40 in the St. John’s Plaza west of St. John’s Lane. There is reasonable parking and it’s normally possible to park within about 30 yards of the restaurant. Friday and Saturday evenings can get quite busy, especially around 6 pm, with waiting times for a table of 20 – 30 minutes. At other times of the week, seating is generally available with little or no wait.

The restaurant is quite near where I live, and my wife and I go there quite often. It’s our place of choice if we get home late or don’t feel like cooking. We have always found the staff pleasant and accommodating. Food is served in both a dining room and the bar. The bar also has live music during Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. If, like my wife and me you prefer a quiet atmosphere, you should eat in the dining room, where even the live music does not penetrate.

Altogether, Bare Bones Grill & Brewery offers good dining at a reasonable price.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I visit Bare Bones several times a year when I'm in the area. They can be counted on for decent ribs (if you like them sweet) and steak. The restaurant always clean and comfortable. The staff is very attentive and nice. Plenty of seating in the dining area, or at the bar. The bar is nice if you also want to watch the game of the day while eating.

They have a good kids menu as well. The menu seems to have something for everyone.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Bare Bones offers Maryland-style crab cakes made with lump crab meat that are second to none. The ribs are awesome also. I first experienced Bare Bones around 2003 or so, and dined there occasionally while I lived and worked in Maryland. Now retired, I hadn't been there for about seven years. We were coming back from a trip to Virginia and stopped in. The place hasn't missed a step. My wife had a huge salad, and my nephew had crab cakes, which I recommended. He said they were some of the best he's ever had. I checked out the prime rib, which was cooked to perfection. Very good, but the herb crust was a bit salty. Service was excellent, and the place is well kept. The lobster bisque and gumbo were spot on!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I love the Bare Bones Special salad. It has a variety of veggies, taco strips and chicken and it comes with a, but excellent honey mustard sauce on the side. It is filling, but not fattening. I also like the ribs and sandwiches. AND the micro brews are outstanding.