“Don't go hungry”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Baltimore Nat'l Pike
Description: 410-465-9660; formerly called The Crab Shanty
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Okay food. Good presentation. VERY SMALL portions, so make sure and eat before you go or order an extra appetizer (or two).

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was my fourth visit to Shanty Grille, and each visit is getting progressively worse, so it's safe to say that this was my last visit. Previous visits have been dine-in experiences, with the first one actually being a positive experience, but this one was take-out, and it was poor by any standards. The bartender took my order, and was fairly friendly and helpful over the phone, which is probably why I gave an overall rating of 2 stars instead of 1 star. I picked up the meal at the bar (presumably with the same bartender), and in person he wasn't as friendly. I even tipped over 20% (giving him the benefit of the doubt), which I would think would be very generous for take-out, since NO tip is probably customary. I clearly left the tip for him to see and said thanks, as he was picking up his tip money, but he didn't even acknowledge the tip. Obviously, by the time I reached my car, I was tweaked at myself for leaving a $12 tip for someone who didn't particularly deserve it and certainly didn't appreciate it. Both of our meals were hugely disappointing. My trout was mostly bones with a hint of trout. The rest of the meal was also very disappointing. I ended up not eating 70% of the whole meal. And my wife's meal was also hugely disappointing. The lone bright spot was the chocolate cake, which was better than most restaurant desserts. It ended up being the only item we actually finished. Let me tell you, it has to be pretty bad for me to NOT finish a meal!

2  Thank David H
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We went here upon word of mouth recommendation. We were very disappointed in the food and service. The server was somewhat condescending, but efficient and food was hot. The atmosphere was fairly upscale for a crab house. The crab cakes were flavorful, but small for the prices charged. Unfortunately, the crab cakes were the best part of the meal. The sides were not good, nor were the desserts. We would not go back again..

2  Thank TennesseeEd
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The reincarnation of the old Crab Shanty is mostly cosmetic with tweaks to the menu that barely bring it up to date. The lunch menu is the same as the dinner menu so the only way to get an appropriate-for-lunch sized meal is to order appetizers and/ or soup. The "firecracker shrimp" was okay but not great. Maryland Crab soup was only okay as well. We went at lunch time on a rainy day so it was near empty. It smelled strange when we entered as well. Service was good at least.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Went there for dinner with my co-workers. We ordered a variety of appetizers (wings, calamari, jalapenos, etc). They were all just average. For dinner I ordered medium done steak. The steak was a little bit more than medium. It tasted like nothing and was a little bit tough. The food was not worth another trip.