“Just what I needed” 4 of 5 bubbles

Honey Pig
Ranked #22 of 165 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Cuisines: Barbecue, Asian, Korean
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rockville, Maryland, United States
“Just what I needed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Just what I needed after a long day in the rain. Came in around 10pm and the place was packed but still seated pretty quickly. The service was great. The waiter bought over hot tea and got the grilled fired up. I ordered the Spicy pork belly and boy was that good. I think what makes me coming back to honey pig this their sauces. This hot sauces they make is the bomb. I would dip that with anything.

• Visited September 2013

Baltimore, Maryland
“Interesting Dining Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

First time eating here and first time (other than trying Kimchi) that I have had the opportunity to experience a Korean meal. I do love all kinds of ethnic and spicy foods so the spices and sauces didn't frighten me at all. The experience at this "restaurant" was very unique. Although the Bulgogi and Pan Fried Dumplings were delicious, the food prices did not match the experience and service.

Sit down dinner prices for a "Ghostbusters, whattaya want!?" rushed through meal. The experience would have been great if the servers actually told you what you were eating and explained what mystery sauces and condiments were floating all over your table. **And if you didn't have to walk through an open kitchen/prep station to get to the bathrooms lol..like I said..very interesting and a strong street market vibe.

Even with a Groupon, the meal (lunchtime) still ran $50+ for two people. I'd go again but not without a Groupon lol.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Inexpensive, Fun and Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have eaten here dozens of times and always am happy going in and coming out. Open late, cooked at the table, interesting selection, different tastes and textures. Go on......try something really different. I love the place.

• Visited September 2012
Aberdeen, Maryland
“I pigged out at Honey Pig”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had been thinking about Korean food for ages and watching programs that focused on restaurants and groceries in the Baltimore area for a while, and finally got to Honey Pig Korean BBQ Restaurant. Good thing we were using GPS--I don't know for sure we would have found the place by simply driving down the Baltimore National Pike and swiveling our heads. Someone described the decor as "industrial chic" but I think "industrial efficient" might be more accurate. The steel tables and warehouse architecture probably makes the place easy to keep clean.

We knew we wanted Bulgogi but beyond that followed the advice of contributor isismoon69 and allowed the waitress to guide us. First we ordered a couple of small OB Korean lagers--nice, almost fruity--and a soju (Korean "vodka" to share, although most of it came home with us). Bowls of salad with a wonderful sweet-sour dressing and pickled onions came out immediately along with little dishes of kimchee, something the waitress said was "fish cakes," a sweet pickled daikon, and spicy green things that resembled green beans but had a texture more like stems. Delicious! Not only that, but these starters don't ruin your appetite.

We got our Bulgogi and also a dish of pork. As it was cooking, we were delivered soups and rice--and more of the side dishes. My husband's soup was essentially scrambled egg in broth but what scrambled egg! It was light and airy and foamy and completely amazing. My soup was tofu, onions and hot peppers in a broth loaded with gochujang, the ubiquitous red pepper paste. Spicy and fantastic.

At some point another server came along and loaded our grill with bean sprouts and kimchee to cook. The perfect accompaniment to the the meats and their sweet sesame-oil dipping sauce.

My husband's appetite gave out, but I managed to finish things off for the two of us. Normally overeating like that would leave me ill--but apart from feeling very full, I felt great.

Next visit we are going to go for lunch and concentrate on noodles.

• Visited August 2013
Baltimore
“Great Korean bbq”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I'm a relatively frequent patron of the Honey Pig at Ellicott City. The setting is pretty authentic, ie. this would be how a typical Korean bbq place would look like in South Korea.

Pros:
* There's also a wide variety of meats.
* The samgyapsul (pork bacon) is amazing.
* Service is extremely attentive.
* Waits without a reservation are usually quick.
* Price is great.
* There have been a recent surge in Groupon and Living Social deals for this place.

Cons:
* As compared with other Korean bbq places, Honey Pig serves minimal varieties of panchan (side dishes).

Visited January 2013