“Horriable..”

Portalli's
Ranked #54 of 168 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: This is a new Italian restaurant that opened in the former Jordan's Steakhouse. I believe it's been open since December or so. I dined there last night and it was wonderful. This is a fine-dining restaurant.
Ellicott City, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horriable..”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I was thre last sunday with some friends from CT. The callimari was soggy. The eggplant was soggy. I had the spaggit squash and it was tastless along with the mushrroms that were dired out and old....I could say more but you get the idea..........and I still have not received a call from the manager that I left last week.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank ellicottmrt

Ellicott City
“Depends on what you order”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The restaurant is kind of cold and dark upstairs, the downstairs is a little better. We have eaten there a number of times and the kitchen can be spotty with the quality of the food served. There have been times we have been very pleased and times when the meal is just so so.

• Visited December 2013
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Nothing to remember”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Decided to give Portalli's a try on a very cold Saturday night . The restaurant's valet parking in Old Towne Ellicott City is a great plus. The attendants were very attentive and polite .
I have to agree that the first thing that struck me was that the restaurant needs some TLC , maybe a fresh coat of paint and new carpet .
We were seated promptly upstairs ( fairly busy ). Our waiter was friendly but neglected to ask for our drink order without being prompted . Ordered 2 appetizers - Calamari ( small portion , fresh but lacking in flavor ) and Bruschetta ( again very small portion but very good ).
The main courses were a little slow in arriving and again were very small in scale . Both the meals that included shellfish ( mussels and clams ) included 4-5 each and very small portions of pasta.
My rockfish was over cooked and had the general texture that it had been under a warming lamp a too long.
We were never served bread with our meal until we asked ?
Long , long , long wait to pay bill .
Overall the meal was just OK . Nothing to make you take notice and plan a return visit .

Visited January 2014
Catonsville, Maryland
“Mediocre food/bad valet service”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I visited Portalli's last night. We stopped outside the restaurant at the valet sign. No one was there. We waited a few minutes on a busy street, got honked at, left and came back, still no one there. I had to call the restaurant and ask where the valet was. The person who answered the phone seemed surprised that I would ask where the valet was because he was around here somewhere. He came out after that.

We were seated upstairs. The ambience is not great, it appeared much better downstairs.

After being seated at our table, it took about 20 minutes to get a glass of wine. We ordered the arancini appetizer. Do not order this dish. It was bland and not well executed. We had the Portalli salad, which was good and the kitchen split it for us, which was nice. I ordered the manicotti. I would not recommend this dish. Not a lot of flavor and gloppy. My husband had the cioppino, which was slightly better. He asked for it to be spicy, but it was not that spicy and was nothing special.

This place is not anything special and I wouldn't go out of my way to go there. You can get much better Italian food at a number of places in the area.

• Visited December 2013
Pikesville, Maryland
“Delicious Italian Food”
Reviewed December 19, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A nice venue in old Ellicott City featuring very good Italian food at a reasonable price. The spaghetti and meatballs are outstanding as is their chicken and mushroom dish. Service is good but not overly attentive. A very nice place for couples.

Visited December 2013