“Tasty upscale Italian food”
Review of Portalli's

Portalli's
Ranked #54 of 170 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: This is a new Italian restaurant that opened in the former Jordan's Steakhouse. I believe it's been open since December or so. I dined there last night and it was wonderful. This is a fine-dining restaurant.
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Having never eaten at Portalli's we were enticed to go with a Groupon. We were not disappointed. The food was very tasty, the atmosphere comfortable and the wait staff knowledgeable and friendly. This is not a good place for little children, which I greatly appreciated. If you are looking for a nice place with good food and no loud kids, this is a good spot!

Reviewed November 7, 2011

My husband and I went to Portalli's for our wedding anniversary. We were given complimentary prosecco to toast our special day. We had told the manager as he seated us about our anniversary and the server(waitress) greeted us as soon as we were seated and wished us a Happy Anniversary. The mussels were excellent. Cooked just right and the sauce was so good that we dipped our bread into it. We ordered our entrees(didn't get the special of the evening but sounded wonderful) and were not rushed at all but checked on frequently. Wonderful server who was very attentative. Manager walked by asked how everything was. Can't complain at all. Very nice evening.

1  Thank SANWAY03
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We've eaten here a few times and have never been disappointed. The menu offers an excellent and eclectic variety and there's a good choice of wines to compliment the meal. Though the atmosphere is a bit dark for my tastes the food and the service more than make up for that. Prices are fair and a good deal with the coupons that are offered from time to time. If you want good food with good service and a definite cut above the typical Italian themed restaurant you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Portalli's had mixed reviews for and against, but we decided to give it a try and be objective. My Portalli House Salad was awful - not much in it but some type of very dark lettuce which did not have a good flavor - or perhaps it was the dressing that detracted from it, or both. I ordered lasagna, which is hard to mess up, but it was AWFUL. It was actually uneatable. I had 2 other people in our party taste it to make sure it wasn't just me, and they both said that it did not even taste like lasagna, to not eat it, that there was something very wrong with it, and to send it back. The waiter was very nice throughout and did not charge us for the lasagna. We don't know if something was wrong with the meat, or if there was too much of some undefinable spice. Everyone else seemed to be okay with their meals, and the deserts were good. But an experience like that makes the restaurant undesirable to go back to for my family. I will add that the prices were reasonable.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Went here on 10/2 party of 7 for our daughters birthday. I had contacted the management in advance about the service since my neighbors had been the previous fri nite and didn't experience good service.
The portions are small, I had pasta with surf and turf.. which my neighbor recommended but
I wasn't impressed. My neighbor had lots of beef and shrimp, mine had 2 shrimp and maybe 6 beef tips, none being over the size of a quarter. 2 people in our party had filet mignon and seemed pleased. My husband had fish and wasn't impressed.. My son made the best and cheapest choice being Lasagne Bolognese, it was very good...
The restaurant itself is well decorated. Our server, I forget his name, sorry...but he was wonderful! Very attentive and suggested a few beers to try. I was very impressed with this server as was everyone else.
I'll probably go back but maybe just my husband and I to eat at the bar, which people seem to enjoy doing the evening we were there. To take a large party our and have
the opinions split down the middle.. it can't get a strong recommendation from me. Perhaps we hit it on an off nite?