“Good eats casual atmosphere”
Review of The Diamondback Tavern - CLOSED

The Diamondback Tavern
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stopped in here on a whim and a groupon find with the husband. We enjoyed the atmosphere and food. It is a pub, nothing fancy but sure was tasty. We shared the best crab dip we had in a long time. It was perfectly seasoned, plenty of crab meat and a good balance of cheese. Seems like it wouldn't be a bad place to enjoy the game.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stopped by for a late lunch/early dinner on a sat. They had half price appetizers which were great. Now here comes the bad part, our service was not so good. The waitress in the bar area seemed overwhelmed with a small amount of tables. The service was very slow but maybe she was new. We'll give it one more try.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was here for dinner on a groupon- loved this place. The food , atmosphere and service was great. I 'll definately return. Ellicott City is a hidden tresaure, nice break from the big city atmosphere. Diamondback Tavern is the place to go there as well.

Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

This is one of our " go to " spots . The bar food is always outstanding and the staff is friendly and always seems to be having a good time . The menu is not the same old burgers and wings but includes unique items - like a great rockfish wrap .
Good selection of beers is a plus also.

1  Thank Jay M
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I live in Ellicott City and are still looking for that “go to” neighbor pub with good food and reliable service. Unfortunately, the Diamondback Tavern isn’t it. It’s not a bad bar and restaurant, it just doesn’t do anything to establish itself as anything above average.

We recently ate dinner there on a Wednesday night. The small bar offered no empty tables or two together at the bar so we went into the restaurant foyer to get a table. There was no one there and after a few minutes of waiting for a hostess I walked toward the kitchen. The waitress at the wait station around the corner told us to sit wherever we liked. The split level dining room was about half full and we sat at a table on the window facing the street. It was immediately obvious that the restaurant was understaffed, as all of the diners around us seemed to be either waiting for menus or waiting to order. We waited for 5 to 10 minutes for the same waitress to bring us menus and take our drink order. She came back 10 minutes later without our drinks and apologized explaining that the bar was busy and our drinks would be along after we ordered. I ordered a NY strip steak and my wife ordered a crab cake sandwich. After waiting another 10 minutes for our drinks my wife wondered if our drinks would come before our entrees. That ended up not being a concern as our drinks came a few minutes later, but our entrees took at least another half hour.

The menu is pretty basic bar food, with a Maryland twist. My wife and I have eaten at at the Diamondback 3 or 4 times and everything from the rockfish wrap to the Maryland fried chicken is nothing more than mediocre. Her crab cake was pretty standard and my steak was decent. Frankly I can barbeque a better steak myself. (They advertise that their meat is from the same local E.C. butcher where we shop).

On this visit the waitress continued to be difficult to find and I ended up taking my payment to the front of the restaurant to have her close out our tab. She was very polite and friendly, just not very attentive. That probably wasn’t her fault as she obviously had a lot of ground to cover.
Average food and average service leads to a run-of-the-mill experience. We won’t be rushing back and we’re still looking for that “go to” neighbor tavern in Ellicott City.