“Not a classic B&B - the highlight of breakfast was the waffle maker and fake maple syrup”

Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Elkton B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Welcome to bizarro world of B&B's. Maybe this is the best you can get within 10 miles of I-95 - maybe that was our problem to begin with. The inn is on a semi-heavily trafficked road (if you go to the hot tub, you'll be able to see/hear the cars driving by) and the grounds aren't that well-groomed. We had to move the dead leaves off the hammock and the putting greens (looked like they had been there for at least a week - mind you - the leaves were still on the trees).

The decor is chatchkee heaven. If that's what you're into - you'll LOVE it. I, unfortunately, did not. The room (Wilmington) was cute - so we didn't really leave it all that much. Oh - and we killed a bug that was in the room - probably a spider?

I had a massage - and the spa room wasn't where it was depicted on the website. It was a large room (the conference room?) with wall dividers separating the massage table. They told me they were in the process of moving the spa. The 80 minute massage was only 65 minutes of hands on massage, but the massage itself was fine. It wasn't a spa experience, but I needed some relaxing time - so I went with it.

The breakfast was what you'd find at a Holiday INN or HOJO. Make-it-yourself waffles with fake maple syrup, fruit, yogurt, bagels/bread. This was the hugest disappointment of the trip. I guess I'll no longer assume that B&B means a cooked breakfast.

Anyway - it was an experience, and it's a story. But I'll never go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank love2travel015

Reviewed September 4, 2009

our visit at elk forg b&b was quite fine. the best was the recommandation for fine dining. I never ate so good in the us.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2009

After a day of sightseeing in Kennett Square, PA, we spent the night at the Elk Forge Bed and Breakfast. I searched in line for local accommodations. This Inn was offering a special weekend rate that was too hard to resist -- a 50%-off 2-day special. This place has a good location to offer the traveler an alternative to accommodations in downtown Philadelphia.

The inn has reasonably provisioned rooms with rustic furniture. Our room was clean, quiet and cozy and came with a small private bath. There was a small whirlpool tub in the room, but I didn't see the value of the private tub in such as small space.

The building is well lit by natural light. Most of the spaces have hand-painted murals and the common areas have a Victorian ambience. The Inn offers spa services, but I don’t know if the spa has standard operating hours. It seemed as if it opened only on request by a guest.

My expectation for a B&B stay is an offering of a prepared breakfast. This Inn offers a modest continental breakfast. However, the coffee that they serve is excellent.

The best part of our trip was meeting the Innkeeper, Seth. When I called to make reservations, I spoke to this easygoing young man who was happy to book a room for us. Opon our arrival, Seth was hard at work mopping floors and making preparations for the week. He was not too busy to take time to get us an extra blanket for our bed and to adjust the thermostat for our unit. It is very apparent that Seth takes a great deal of pride in his family’s business and wants to see it suceed.

We probably won’t have an occasion to come back, but I hope that Seth is able to grow his business. This place has most of what it needs to be a faboulous place that I would want to come back to again and again. I would recommend this place for anyone who wants a quiet night’s sleep in the country.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank MariMckenna
Reviewed July 27, 2008

This place is marvelous... we loved our room and had fun strolling the nature trails and putting on the green. The owners were especially friendly yet did not hover like some B&B owners do! We loved our breakfast in the conservatory.. we will be back!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hlender
Reviewed February 16, 2008

Upon arrival there is no one to greet you. They call this self check in, but I call it cutting cornors. Part of the experience of staying at a bed and breakfast is interacting with the inn keeper. No one was anywhere in sight! We had made dinner reservations ahead of time so we didn't need advice on a nice place to go, and we were only staying for one night. But, if I had been staying longer I would have wanted to speak to the inn keeper about dining and touring suggestions.
They advertise fireplaces in every room. They are are a poor excuse for a fireplace. I believe that when you turned it on you were only seeing a picture of flames. The room was fine, but small. The bathroom was extremly small. You could see that it had been added oto the cornor of the room.
The breakfast offerings were quite sad. Yogurt, cereal and toast. You could also make your own waffel, but the tray of offered toppings was far from appealing.
At breakfast we did finally see the inn keeper. Nice enough man, but thinks he's funny, sad to say he's not.
Had a very cold experience from this inn. Wouldn't return.

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank intothewoods
Reviewed January 27, 2008

I stayed at the Elk Forge B&B while on a business trip this past summer, and I must say, I was impressed. I prefer to stay at B&B's rather than hotels due to there more personal and unique nature, and, since my wife was able to come with me on this trip, I was especially looking forward to a unique experience. We were not disappointed. The house and grounds were incredible--it was like stepping back into Victorian times--and we both found the staff friendly and knowledgeable of the rich history of the property and surrounding area. While we were disappointed to find that there was no restaurant on site, it turned out for the better, because we were able to drive through the lovely countryside while finding equally unique dining experiences at some of the quaint local restaurants--just ask the staff and they'll recommend some great places to eat and visit. I'm just glad that it looks like business may take me this way a few more times in the coming years--I already have my next trip booked--
although my wife is jealous that she can't make it this next time around!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank dw013
Reviewed January 23, 2008

I love the Elk Forge Inn. It is my favorite B & B! The staff is superb, I loved the casual breakfast. The library had all my favorite books. I LOVED my room. It was so relaxing, and peaceful. My room was impeccable. Harry and LeeAnn went out of their way to be accomodating and welcoming. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank Celeste1966
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkton
Sutton Inn
Hampton Inn Elkton
#1 of 8 in Elkton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elkton - Newark S. - UD Area
Days Inn Elkton Newark Area

Been to Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa? Share your experiences!