“Anniversary weekend”

Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Elkton B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We just retuned from our weekend at Elk Forge. We were married in Elkton 44yrs ago, but didn't honeymoom there, wish we had. We stayed in the Coach Carriage house.Though needing some additional decorating, the queen size bed was so comfy. It had an efficientcy kitchen and dining area plus a large LV. There is an extra bedroom for noisy snorers! The breakfasts both AM's were delicious and in amazing surroundings, followed by an extra cup of coffee in the sitting room. Would definitely return or suggest to anyone needing time away.

Room Tip: Didn't see the main house but the pix on the web site look great.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SARGEBROOMALL
There are newer reviews for Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa

Reviewed January 5, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent two nights in December. It was quiet, room was clean and comfortable. We enjoyed the breakfast, nothing fancy but a good variety to choose from. There are little trails to walk for some fresh air and I'm sure the stay would be nicer in the warmer months. Overall, I was more than satisfied and would definitely stay there again but my girlfriend likes trying out new things. The spa was pretty good too.

1  Thank D_FRED_11
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My parents stayed here for their anniversary for 2 nights. My sister & I arranged for them to stay there. They originally were in the Baltimore Room, but were upgraded to a suite at no extra cost to them. My mom said it was larger than her 2 bedroom condo in Florida. They enjoyed their time away & would recommend it to others.

1  Thank BethAnnP
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to Elk Forge B&B for three nights in late December, and we had a wonderful time. The rooms were great, and the whole Bed and Breakfast was charming, unique, and very nice. The food was good, and there were plenty of resources to help us plan our days. The staff was very helpful at helping us find places to eat and make us feel comfortable. It was a relaxing vacation and I would recommend Elk Forge Lodge to anyone looking for a cute relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: They have pictures of their room on their website to see what they look like. We were on the third f...
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Although this B&B is in a nice, quiet location and has an attractive appearance, this is not enough. We stayed in the Wilmington Room. The bed was very, very stiff. My husband and I were stunned by the stiffness of the bed and experienced discomfort all night long, ultimately waking up with backaches on both of the nights we stayed there. The bed also creaked with every move that was made and could be heard in the hallways outside the room. The room had a two-person whirlpool tub, which was a plus. However, we both bumped our heads on the slanted ceiling of this room (on the 3rd floor) about 3 times each. Over half the length of the ceiling was slanted down to a four-foot-tall wall-level - we were very limited on areas we could actually stand up in inside this room. The breakfast was average; not what I hoped for. When I stay at B&B's, I look forward to a hot breakfast - not what can be found at average hotel with a continental breakfast. There were bagels, english muffins, and bread available for the toaster, some cereal options, yogurt options, and fruit options. The fruit selection was better than a hotel's would be - they offered pineapple and kiwi. The only hot breakfast item was a do-it-yourself waffle iron available for use, which I don't care for. I was really hoping for scrambled eggs and bacon. The first morning we were there, the coffee was gone about a half hour into the hour-and-a-half window that breakfast was served, and another pot was not made available for 20 minutes. There were a lot of guests waiting on that coffee. The second morning, a plate of supposedly hard-boiled eggs was set out for guests. I selected one and cracked it open, only to discover I had a raw egg. I selected a second one and it was raw as well. I notified the innkeeper who said the box had been marked cooked. He spun the remaining eggs to determine which ones were actually hard-boiled and handed me one he was sure was cooked. I went back to my table, cracked it open, and it was raw. I gave up on getting any protein that morning.
The staff I interacted with were both friendly, but they must be aware that this B&B is in need of improvements - especially the mattresses. We will not be staying here again unless we are assured there are new mattresses.

1  Thank Leesuh23
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Great atmosphere and relaxing. Great to get away and have a great time.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2011

The Elk Forge Lodge is an old building in relatively good condition. The conservatory and addition are really nice. The conservatory where you eat breakfast is bright and pleasant with live doves in the corner. Breakfast is okay as long as you know going to the lodge that you must make your own waffles. There really isn't a variety for breakfast. Both days we were there, it was the same exact foods. We were on a tight schedule while visiting, and breakfast was pepared at a slower pace. When they said breakfast would be ready by 8:30, they meant you couldn't even get coffee before 8:30.

The rooms are okay, however, they need to do some repairs. For example, the loveseat in the room where we stayed (The Brandywine Suite) was ripped. The fabric was split because of wear and tear. The ceiling paint in the bedroom was peeling. A slip cover on the loveseat would have made a world of difference in look and feel of the room. The fireplace worked great as did the jacuzzi in the room. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was ok. The shower was a bit interesting, but to be expected in an older facility. The Brandywine Suite is a good size room with lots of windows and natural light.

The people that work at the inn are nice and gave us some good advice as far as where to dine etc. I am an advid excerciser, so I asked about their "gym facility." I was very nicely told that "I believe it is on the website, however, right now it is filled with furniture." Quite disappointed for someone who brought exercise clothes with them! I did not book any spa services, so I can't say anything about them.

All in all not a bad experience, however, they need to be a little more conscience of the fact that some people enjoy having a hot cup of coffee by 7:30 a.m. or earlier. A little variety for breakfast wouldn't hurt anything either!

Room Tip: Brandwine Suite is a large double room with a TV, couch, and jacuzzi in a separate room from the bed...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelerDN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elkton - Newark S. - UD Area
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Comfort Inn and Suites
Comfort Inn and Suites
#3 of 24 in Newark

Been to Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa? Share your experiences!