“Very good barbecue, best in the area”

Durham's Best Barbeque
Ranked #6 of 88 Restaurants in Elkton
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: 410) 620-6250
Newark, Delaware
“Very good barbecue, best in the area”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

There really aren't too many barbecue places near Elkton/Newark. In fact, Durham's BBQ is the only one within reasonable driving distance. Fortunately, it's pretty good. I've been there three times and I've enjoyed it thoroughly. Located in a small shack just barely over the MD state line, the smell is intoxicating even from the parking lot. It seems that Durham's BBQ is going for a Texas-style barbecue with lots of different types of meat on the menu...and a strange absence of pulled pork. I've gotten the pork tenderloin sandwich, 1/2 rack ribs, and beef brisket sandwich. All were very good and had a nice smoky flavor, but I would say that the beef brisket is the best. There are several other types of meat like pit ham, turkey, and chicken that I am looking forward to trying. You're given the choice of a sweet or spicy sauce when ordering, but they both taste the same to me. The sauce is OK, but had too much of a molasses flavor. I should finally mention that the prices are really good. Sandwiches are less than $6, you can get them in a combo with sides and drink for little extra cost, and a half rack ribs cost $9. I'm definitely looking forward to my next visit here.

1 Thank UATraveler22

Delaware
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,756 helpful votes
“GOOD Hickory Smoked BBQ at GOOD Prices”
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We used to pass Durham's Best BBQ on our way to Milburn Orchards ALL the time. We kept saying we should stop there for lunch one day. It never seemed to work that way, so the other day we decided to make a special trip to Elkton to go to Durham's. We arrived around 1pm. Once in the parking lot, we noticed the smell of hickory. It smelled HEAVENLY.

Just outside the door they had the menu posted (beef brisket, pork loin, turkey breast, ham, kielbasa, hamburgers, sausage, chicken, ribs,etc). We took a quick peek at it and made our way inside the small wooden cabin. Inside there was a soda cooler, the carryout counter and the meat carver's counter. When we walked through the door we were cheerfully greeted by the waitstaff. We checked out the posted lunch specials. My husband asked the counterhelp what their BEST selling item was & she told him it was the beef brisket. I was stuck between the 1/2 chicken and the turkey, so I asked her which one was better. She recommended the turkey. She said that sometimes the chicken can be a little dry. It was then that one of the cooks/carvers came over & offered us FREE samples of the beef brisket and hickory smoked turkey breast. My husband really liked the beef brisket and decided to order a beef brisket sandwich. I thought the turkey was OK, but seemed like processed turkey breast (lunchmeat style) instead of an actual WHOLE REAL turkey that had been carved. My husband liked the turkey though and said it had a nice smoked flavor.. I found it too smoky & I prefer REAL turkey breast. So, I decided to get the 1/2 chicken lunch special that comes with a can of soda and one small side. I decided to get the french fries. At this point we were also asked which kind of BBQ sauce we wanted--sweet or spicy. We both selected the SWEET.

Within about 5 minutes our lunches were handed over to us in a brown paper bag. We grabbed a few of the packaged plastic utensils and some ketchup packets before making our way out to one of the picnic benches. Outside there are 4 picnic benches under the proch awning at Durham's Best in addition to 2 round picnic tables that set out in the grassy area/sun. We decided to dine on the porch in the shade, being a hot summer day.

We opened our paper sacks to find our meals wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil. We also had 2 cups of BBQ that we could apply to our food. My husband LOVED his beef brisket. He said it was really good and had a nice smoky flavor to it. He even compared it to the beef brisket that he gets at KATZ's Deli in NYC! He said it was just as good--if not better & SO MUCH CHEAPER! Plus he felt the portion size was pretty large. I also found my 1/2 chicken to be VERY tasty. The chicken was NOT dry at all. It was actually very juicy. It was tender and had great flavor. I was really happy I had selected the chicken. The fries were pretty good too. They were probably frozen fries, but they were decent and the portion size was pretty large for a small fry. It was still large enough for the two of us to share! The only thing I found odd was that the small cups of BBQ were chilled. I wish they were at least room temperature--so I wasn't putting COLD sauce on my food. But the sauce still had GREAT flavor. YUM.

Overall, we had a great experience with Durham's Best BBQ. We both enjoyed our meals and said we would like to eat here again. My husband is already looking forward to his next beef brisket. I would like to try their cornbread muffins next time and maybe their baked beans OR mac-n-cheese. Their lunch specials are a great deal. It cost us less than $12 for the two of us to eat & I still had leftovers when we were done. Plus, the counterhelp and carvers were super friendly. I would definately eat here again & recommend it to friends.

Note: Closed on Sundays.

TIP: They offer Family Meal package deals in addition to individual items IF you are feeding a large family. Plus they offer catering services IF you are planning an event where you want to serve up some good BBQ.

1 Thank daisyferret1
West Windsor Township, New Jersey
“Excellent”
Reviewed March 12, 2010

This is a hidden gem just Right on the Delaware line. I had a smoked ham sandwich and a sample of beef that was just amzing. I woll defentaly come back next time in the area.