“Pretty good”

On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina
Ranked #32 of 59 Restaurants in Elkridge
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: There are reviews for many On the Border locations, just none for the Elridge/Columbia restaurant.
Pensacola, Florida
“Pretty good”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I only went there once but it the food was good as was the service. There was an extremely obnoxious group of drunks next to us but the restaurant was doing everything they could within their means to get them out. I would return if I were in the area again.

• Visited June 2012

Ellicott City, Maryland
“Good food and good service.”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We went to this restaurant with friends and was able to get a table outside on a warm spring evening. We were seated within a few minutes and our server came by immediately for our drink order. With the drinks came those delicious chips and salsa! The chips and salsa was a favorite with everyone at the table. My dinner was delicious - the shredded beef burrito with queso sauce! Yummy! Everyone enjoyed their dinner. This is a great restaurant and I would highly recommend it to anyone in the mood for Mexican food.

• Visited April 2013
Elkridge, Maryland
“Always good food & service”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We visit this place at least once every two weeks. We always look for Samantha or Rachel for our servers, as they are both excellent servers and always very attentive to our needs, even when they have many tables to serve. The food is always great, we especially like the warm chips and spicy salsa you get when you first sit down. The food we order is always fresh and piping hot, and they deal with special orders very nicely.

• Visited December 2012
Columbia, Maryland
“poor chain tex-mex...”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We really tried to like this place and went there 3-4 times. Each time, we were unimpressed. There are much better choices for tex-mex close by.

Visited September 2011
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Usually a solid pick...”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife and I usually come here as a treat, so when I felt the need to reward us for having painted all day, On the Border was the first restaurant that came to mind. As a disclaimer, we visited the restaurant on a Sunday night at 9 p.m. - an hour before closing. In my mind, that shouldn't excuse the behaviors I am about to comment on, but my wife wanted me to throw that in there as something to consider...

First, does anyone remember when OTB used to have the "Make Your Own Burrito" option? That was my favorite thing about the restaurant, so why did they do away with it? It seemed like an easy meal for them to make, and it was bound to make customers happy at $8 a burrito. Bring it back, OTB!!!

Alright, so the place was pretty chill on a Sunday night, save for a birthday party and the sound of chairs and tables being moved around. Yep, the employees were cleaning up an hour before the restaurant officially closed, and they were doing it in full view of the customers. Bad form. Moreover, our waitress was so busy trying to close up shop that she neglected us throughout our meal, leaving me with no water and no chips and a mouth that needed to be extinguished (spicy salsa...). When it finally came time to order our meal, my wife ordered the Del Rio combo (a featured menu item), and I ordered two different appetizers--the avocado fries and the Firecracker Jalapeño Poppers (designated as a super spicy item, I must add). The waitress returned a few minutes later to inform my wife that the kitchen had run out of grilled fish and guacamole, which meant that she had to order something entirely different. Wait, so they are promoting an item that is entirely unavailable? Huh. Oh, and how is it that the guacamole was gone when I received a dish made of avocado? Couldn't the kitchen staff whip up some impromptu guacamole from the avocado that remained? Apparently not.

As far as food quality goes, the chips and salsa are addictive; the avocado fries are...pieces of fried avocado (who would have guessed?); the firecracker jalapeño poppers are nowhere near as spicy as they claim to be and arrive way over-fried; and the mini tacos are relatively tasty.

We left the restaurant before it closed, but it might as well have been shut down. The servers were practically waving us goodbye when we got up from our table. Not such a treat after all...

• Visited July 2012