“Not an outstanding experience.”

The County Cork Wine Pub
Reserve with OpenTable
The County Cork Wine Pub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 36 Restaurants in Eldersburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oklahoma Road
Description: A new very popular wine pub/bistro. The only restaurant of this type for many miles. Good quality and excellent wine and beer selection.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Not an outstanding experience.”
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Service was almost non existent. Food was good, but not impressively so, just average. I'm a visitor to the area, so won't likely be returning. Even if I were local, I probably wouldn't be returning.

Sterling, Virginia
“Not hoity toity”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Second visit to this eatery. As expected, great food, not overbearing, great service and wine selection. Upscale in a region that one would assume to be only offering beer and crabs and burgers. Note to owners: if things don't work out in elders burg, northern Virginia welcomes you with open arms...hint, hint.

• Visited September 2012
Owings Mills, Maryland
“Great experience”
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

We have been to this restaurant since it opened; the food and wine selections change seasonally. The Cork and Bull cocktail is delicious!

Sykesville, MD
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible Service & Equally Terrible Food”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My Husband and I visited The Cork for the first time this past summer for a Clipper City Beer Tasting with food pairings provided by The Cork. The food pairings were "ok." A few strange notes about that visit: one of the pairings was a "salmon tartare" which was essentially smoked salmon chopped up with cream cheese and green onion on a plastic tasting spoon. I was very against the whole plastic serving utensil thing. Also one of the pairings was a chocolate covered pretzel. Not terribly inventive, but one of the employees was absolutely RAVING about how fabulous these pretzels were and how he had driven to PA to get them...perhaps that's why they were stale?

We decided to go back this past weekend and try it again, in hopes that the Cork could really be a nice pub with food that tasted as delicious as the menu read...we were VERY disappointed. We first ordered the "Assorted breadsticks & flatbreads with Olive & Peppadew Pepper Tapenade." What arrived at our table was three types of crackers and some canned tapenade. The tapenade was fine, but advrtising flatbread and then bringing me crackers is not acceptable in my book. To add insult to injury, I asked the server about the Vegetarian Flatbread Pizza and if the "flatbread" on which the pizza was made was the same as the "flatbread" she had just served me. She advised that no, the pizza was made on real flatbread that is grilled. I find it rather dishonest to advertise two things on your menu as "flatbread" when they are completely different products! My flatbread pizza came and it was very lackluster: no basil or real seasoning of any kind and CANNED spinich! It was pretty gross. My husband got the burger & fries. The burger was cooked pretty well but it was really awkwardly shaped (tall and skinny...kind of a big meatball, not an actual burger patty) and really difficult to eat. Also the fries were really tiny and my husband was eating them with a fork. Additionally their menu says that their fries are served with garlic aoli. While Aoli does mean a mayo based sauce, it does not mean "mayo with garlic powder" which is definitely what we were served.

Additionally, the service was pretty terrible as well. There was only one waitress working for lunch shift on the Saturday we visited. Although she never had more than 4 tables at once, it didn't appear that she was very experienced. Also, she really didn't seem to know anything about the wine list, which I find peculiar for a Wine Pub!

I was really disappointed in this place as I was so hoping for a nice cute restaurant near our house...guess we'll still be driving into the city or into Columbia for that! We will NEVER be visiting this establishment again.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Susan H
Sykesville, Maryland
“Delicious, plentiful, and very reasonably priced! Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We found out about The County Cork Wine Pub at one of our son’s County Baseball games and we researched in here. We certainly agree with luv2travel3939’s recommendation from March. I’m a bit delinquent in reporting, as we liked it so much, this was our third trip back. The Cork is relatively new and the owners Arlene and Christopher are doing a great job. The food has been delicious and plentiful, and very reasonably priced. The wine list is small, but everything we’ve tasted has been very good. We’ve sort of settled on the Gruner Veltliner as our favorite. Each time we’ve gone, we’ve sat at the ‘bar’ tables and been waited on by Bill. After just a few visits, he’s remembered us, welcomed us and made us feel at home. It’s a great personable feeling. The Cork is fresh and clean, just what you would expect, and the meals delightful and filling. This trip, my wife had the scallops with gnocchi and I had a very large sandwich (not featured on the menu, but they were happy to accommodate my change). They were delicious, and a good deal. Including tip, a bottle of wine, and a shared dessert, our bill was $86. The menu has changed over the summer and reflects the chef’s choice of local fresh products, something we both appreciate. The fresh strawberry salad at the beginning of the summer was fantastic. My wife can’t wait for strawberries to come back into season again so we can go back for it. They have three large TV’s, but they are not distracting, and the noise level is low enough to just sit and talk and enjoy company and a pleasant dining experience. The food certainly compares with the best local restaurants we’ve been to repeatedly (including Baldwin’s Station, Iron Bridge, Bistro Blanc, Aida and Victoria Gastro Pub). The wine list is small (don’t expect a large number of choices in a wide price range) -- something you would expect for a new restaurant, and I’m sure Arlene and Chris will grow it with time. Until then, we’ll just have to make due with a delicious Gruner Veltliner. We will most certainly be back. If you are going late on a Saturday, I suggest you get a reservation. We've never had to wait, but we've seen the Cork fill up quickly.

• Visited August 2011