“Not as good as last time ”

Edgewater Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 67 Restaurants in Edgewater
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

Got seated to right. The area had a funky almost pee smell. That was a little disturbing. Overall it seems the place could use a really good cleaning. It was musty and dank. Ordered the seafood trio. He salad bar. Nothing great. A lot of stuff from cans. Food took a while to get and while the platters were huge the quality of food seemed lacking. Last year the food was fresh a d tasty. This year not so much. I was disappointed quite honest. Well probably find somewhere else next time.

Reviewed August 21, 2018

Stopped in on a Wednesday at about 5 pm and after about a 10 minute wait, was seated in the large front room to the right of the entryway. As others have mentioned, you don't come here for the upscale ambience; you come here for the crab cakes! Absolutely not an issue for us. Our waitress appeared instantly, and was very attentive, professional and helpful throughout our meal.

We started with drinks and segued to appetizers -- cream of crab soup for me and classic Maryland crab soup for her. The cream of crab soup was fabulous -- creamy and loaded with lumps of crab and slightly seasoned. The Maryland crab soup was loaded with vegetables and crab and a nicely seasoned stock.

For entrees, I went with the house specialty -- jumbo lump crab cakes (yes, two). Delicious; I savored every bite (that I didn't begrudgingly share with my partner). I mean, huge, lumpy, seasoned with a very minimum of filling and broiled to perfection. My wife went with the special -- Wednesday, two backfin crab cakes and sides for 15.99 (I think). They were very good, don't get me wrong, but pale in comparison to the big boys (which are double in price). All sides were great -- my fries were hand cut and perfectly fried, the okra was yummy.

We'll definitely repeat on our next trip MD .

1  Thank robertmH3089FL
Reviewed August 15, 2018

My family and I were in Edgewater for a day and wanted to try a local restaurant. I read good reviews about this place on TripAdvisor, so we stopped in for lunch this past Saturday.

There were pros and cons to the restaurant. I'll start with the cons: When we first walked in, I was a surprised at how dark it was inside the facility. It was a beautiful sunny day outside, but all of the blinds on the front windows were closed. Maybe they were trying to keep the place cool, but it seemed as if we were sitting in a dungeon. We were seated in the back dining room, which was completely devoid of any windows, and I thought that was odd for a successful restaurant. It appeared that the decor had not been updated since the 1980's, with dark wood paneling and dark green threadbare carpeting, which also had something of a dank odor to it. Not sure when the last time was that they shampooed the carpet, but the entire thing needed to be ripped out and replaced.

Now for the pros: Our server, who I think was named Deb, was absolutely lovely. She answered all of our questions and went above and beyond with her service. The food was also delicious. My wife got the crabcake sandwich, which was one of the biggest crabcakes I had seen, and I got the fried clam strips. My clam strips were fresh, and according to Deb, freshly breaded and made to order. The meat was tender, and they were probably the best clam strips I've ever had. I had the option of choosing a "browned potato" as one of my sides. It's basically a white potato that's baked for a bit and then finished in a deep fryer to give the skin a crunchy crust. I liked the texture, but it needed some type of seasoning. If they seasoned the skin before baking/frying, I bet it could be a really good side.

Overall, I would return for the food and the service, but this place is many years overdue for a remodel. I understand that small town restaurants like this have a consistent local client base, but I bet they could really boost their business if they made some basic updates to their dining room.

Reviewed July 23, 2018

We decided to try this restaurant and it was amazing. The people were very friendly. We were seated and our waitress came over quickly. She was so friendly. Our food came out hot and quickly. The food was delicious. The steak was very big and tasty. In addition, the crab cakes were to die for. They were huge and delicious. We will definitely be returning to this restaurant.

Reviewed June 21, 2018

I have eaten at G&M's for years and never have I had any issues until Tuesday 6/19/2018 when I decided to order takeout being that I was out that way (from Bethesda MD) for a meeting. I ordered two crab cake platter, no big deal, right? Well I get home and one cake is burnt and the other was good, so I had to give my cake to my wife as for the other one, well lets just say no one in my house was going to eat it. I decided to do something I never do, call and talk with the manager (from takeout) Gena said well I should have brought it right back and they would have done something about it, Okay! I did tell her that I live over 45 minutes away and that I was at a meeting. I guess after years of eating somewhere I didn't think I needed to check and see if they knew what they were doing when it came to the same thing that I have ordered from G&M dozens of times this pass year, I was wrong and would suggest that everyone does check their food before they leave, especially if you get carryout from G&M which is something that I will never do again from G&M! Nevertheless, the management from carryout acted like this was my fault and didn't even offer as much as a cookie let alone to simply replace my crab cake, sad! I will have to find another place to get our crab cakes as well as to meet with business associates, family outings. I know that this place is owned by the same people that own Timbuktu, so I hope I don't have anything like this happen there, so far Timbuktu has better management and carryout. Gena wasn't helpful at all, thanks again!

1  Thank G574RNchrisr