“They Do have AC!”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Easton
Washington, DC
“They Do have AC!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

Enjoyed my stay at the Tidewater Inn. It's a charming inn located in a lovely town. Our room was a little worn but I prefer it any day to a cookie-cutter chain hotel. The beds were great-complete with Frette linens and a featherbed. I guess the air conditioning must have not been on in the past, but it was working when I was there (almost too cold since you can't control the temperature, only the fan speed). The patio bar was closed for renovations, so we had no problems with noise. My only complaint is that the shower had mildew on it. Parking was a small inconvenience but we easily parked on a nearby side street. Got a great rate ($99) on Travelzoo

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — mildew in the bathroom
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank mab367

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

Placed my wedding group here in April.
Wonderful location and good staff that do not have decision-making authority.
Unfortunately we were not notified that the hotel has no air conditioning.
All my guests complained
Hotel has no parking facility and uses the city lots - ask before booking about regulations
Overall would not recommend this hotel until the construction is complete.
The manager was not available but I did manage to obtain compensation.

Stayed April 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2006

Interior of room very nice, clean, staff friendly but not always on top of things. Conferece facilites nice enough. However, patio outside bar is open until 2 AM and is very noisy - be sure to book room on far side of hotel. Other street noise comes right through the old windows - street cleaner at 5 AM. Number one complaint is valet parking - left a 8" long dent and scrape on my truck and didn't confess. Would not go back.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2006

We arrived on Friday May 5th for two nights. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We were put in a smallish but elegant room- overlooking a parking lot towards the back of the hotel, no real view but I prefer the quiet. Covering the window were 2"wood blinds, looked very nice but not effective in keeping out the early morning rays. (I'm a late sleeper especially on vacation). The room had two closets but only one had a clothes bar, I guess the larger closet was to be used to store luggage. It was much larger, seems they may need to re-assess the closet situation, for the useless one could be a great walk-in with shelves. The bathroom was small as well. No real shelf for toiletries.

Needless to say the bellman informed me as he dropped off our luggage that there was no air conditioning, two things I like when I sleep is it to be cool and dark. This hotel was not for me. My companion agreed, we made a bunch of phone calls to other local hotels and found a room at the Holiday Inn Express on Rt 50. (2 miles) BTW it has everything the Tidewater didn't. We bundled up our luggage hauled it down to the front desk and asked to be checked out. The Desk Manager was very understanding, refunded the stay and did not charge us a fee.
This is a NON smoking hotel as well, actually a non smoking town.
We were also told they had a work out facility, but they don't.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank Pottersk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2006

Extraordinarily displeased. Our two rooms were directly above the bar patio, so at 12:15 am, when the other bars closed, several drunk, loud 22-year old boys SCREAMED songs and obscenities below our window. When we called the front desk, nothing was done. So, at 1am I went downstairs, and the waitress said that there was nothing she could do. I had to tell her to bring the buffoons into the inside portion of the bar. She did. It was stunning that she could not figure this out on her own, or that it was not hotel policy. She called the restaurant manager, David, who came to meet me and apologized and said that they get these complaints "all the time." Then why don't you make people drink INSIDE the bar after midnight??? We are paying hundreds of dollars more than the cost of their beers. We had to have the windows open because THERE IS NO AIR CONDITIONING and NO FANS, EITHER. Apparently, the hotel had given out all their fans, so they can't even figure out that you should have enough fans to give out when you don't have any AC. I cannot imagine how hot it will be as the days get hotter.

David said that he would discuss our dissatisfaction with the hotel manager in the morning, but when we were ready to check out, I was told that no one was available that had any authority to compensate us for the egregious accommodations. David's 1am promise, was clearly disingenuous and the hotel has no responsible staff on duty the morning of a common check-out day, Sunday.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
columbia, md
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Tidewater one night (Saturday) after enjoying a great performance by Robert Cray at the Avalon Theatre. This hotel is extremely convenient to the Avalon and everything else in downtown Easton. We thought the hotel was charming and full of character. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. True, our room was small but we only needed a place to sleep. Our room appeared to have been recently renovated - it was tastefully furnished and spotlessly clean. We had a fluffy down comforter on our bed which was really nice because it was quite cold that evening. I was pleasantly surprised. The bathroom was small but it too was very clean and had everything I need in a bathroom! The climate control seems to be outdated ( I would have liked more heat in the room) and I wouldn't have minded more hot water when I took a shower in the morning but I viewed those things as minor when looking at the big picture. I would not hesitate to stay at the Tidewater again. Especially since I paid less than half of what competing Bed and Breakfast's in the area charge per night.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank marciaj
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2006

The Tidewater is the best bar in Easton. Only becasue it is the only bar (besides Sidetracks, which is a place you do not want to visit, unless you want a (as a local told me) hooker, drugs, or death.) that will stay open late and has a fun clientelle. I met many locals who were fun and easy to talk to.

The room is another story. Antique sinks and showers made me feel like I was in the 50's. The channels on the TV were basically NBC baltimore, NBC Washington, CBS Baltimore, CBS Maryland, etc. They DID NOT EVEN HAVE ESPN! The smell was I guess rustic, but I am too young to understand rustic. No closet space. The walls were paper thin, you do not want to know what I heard fron the room next to me (no, not that).

I would recommend the Tidewater only because it is next dooe to the theater and they have a fun bar. If you go, say hi to Courtney for me.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Easton
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Quality Inn Easton
Quality Inn Easton
#6 of 9 in Easton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Easton

Been to Tidewater Inn? Share your experiences!