“NOISY at 1am, ZERO Air Cond, ran out of fans”
Review of Tidewater Inn

Tidewater Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Easton
A TripAdvisor Member
“NOISY at 1am, ZERO Air Cond, ran out of fans”
Reviewed May 7, 2006

Extraordinarily displeased. Our two rooms were directly above the bar patio, so at 12:15 am, when the other bars closed, several drunk, loud 22-year old boys SCREAMED songs and obscenities below our window. When we called the front desk, nothing was done. So, at 1am I went downstairs, and the waitress said that there was nothing she could do. I had to tell her to bring the buffoons into the inside portion of the bar. She did. It was stunning that she could not figure this out on her own, or that it was not hotel policy. She called the restaurant manager, David, who came to meet me and apologized and said that they get these complaints "all the time." Then why don't you make people drink INSIDE the bar after midnight??? We are paying hundreds of dollars more than the cost of their beers. We had to have the windows open because THERE IS NO AIR CONDITIONING and NO FANS, EITHER. Apparently, the hotel had given out all their fans, so they can't even figure out that you should have enough fans to give out when you don't have any AC. I cannot imagine how hot it will be as the days get hotter.

David said that he would discuss our dissatisfaction with the hotel manager in the morning, but when we were ready to check out, I was told that no one was available that had any authority to compensate us for the egregious accommodations. David's 1am promise, was clearly disingenuous and the hotel has no responsible staff on duty the morning of a common check-out day, Sunday.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
columbia, md
Reviewed March 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Tidewater one night (Saturday) after enjoying a great performance by Robert Cray at the Avalon Theatre. This hotel is extremely convenient to the Avalon and everything else in downtown Easton. We thought the hotel was charming and full of character. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. True, our room was small but we only needed a place to sleep. Our room appeared to have been recently renovated - it was tastefully furnished and spotlessly clean. We had a fluffy down comforter on our bed which was really nice because it was quite cold that evening. I was pleasantly surprised. The bathroom was small but it too was very clean and had everything I need in a bathroom! The climate control seems to be outdated ( I would have liked more heat in the room) and I wouldn't have minded more hot water when I took a shower in the morning but I viewed those things as minor when looking at the big picture. I would not hesitate to stay at the Tidewater again. Especially since I paid less than half of what competing Bed and Breakfast's in the area charge per night.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank marciaj
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 21, 2006

The Tidewater is the best bar in Easton. Only becasue it is the only bar (besides Sidetracks, which is a place you do not want to visit, unless you want a (as a local told me) hooker, drugs, or death.) that will stay open late and has a fun clientelle. I met many locals who were fun and easy to talk to.

The room is another story. Antique sinks and showers made me feel like I was in the 50's. The channels on the TV were basically NBC baltimore, NBC Washington, CBS Baltimore, CBS Maryland, etc. They DID NOT EVEN HAVE ESPN! The smell was I guess rustic, but I am too young to understand rustic. No closet space. The walls were paper thin, you do not want to know what I heard fron the room next to me (no, not that).

I would recommend the Tidewater only because it is next dooe to the theater and they have a fun bar. If you go, say hi to Courtney for me.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Jasper, Alabama
Reviewed March 9, 2006

My room was unbearable hot. No way to turn off the furnace. Was told to open a window. A/C not available. The shower was cold then scalding then cold again. No way to get it right. This is not a good hotel. The room was very small. Had to turn sideways to get around the room. The bathroom was tiny.

The only good part was the location. Across from the Avalon. Near great restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank bobbryn
Reviewed February 14, 2006

My boyfriend and I were also in town on February 11th to see the Aimee Mann concert at the Avalon and stayed at the Tidewater Inn. This is a perfect location to stay after a show there since it's within a few steps of the theatre. I echo the previous posts that the accommodations were cozy/charming and the atmosphere is very laid back. However, if you are the type that needs a hot shower in the morning in a large, modern bathroom, or if that musty historic building smell is a turn-off, this is not the place for you. But the convenience and price (make your own reservations through their web site for great deals) more than made up for any drawbacks.

• Stayed February 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
MD
Reviewed February 11, 2006

My boyfriend and I just returned from spending the night at the Tidewater Inn and thought it to be very quaint and comfortable. We were in Easton to see a show at the wonderful Avalon Theatre and wanted a convenient location in which to share our first romantic getaway. The Tidewater more than accomodated this request. The room had a king sized bed was dressed with fresh linens and ample pillows.

The staff were friendly and courteous. As other reviewers have posted, hot water is not in generous supply, temperature control in the room was quirky and it was a little noisy BUT the lobby is beautiful and the overall European feel to the hotel more than made up for the modest inconveniences. We will definitely recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed February 2006
Reviewed November 26, 2005

We, too, were cautious about the Tidewater Inn after reading negative reviews. Turns out we were delighted with our stay, Thanksgiving weekend 2005. The sleeping room was comfortable; the staff friendly, knowledgable, and responsive. The continental breakfast was plentiful and nicely presented. The bustling lobby struck just the right welcoming note: elegance without stuffiness. The lobby's huge fireplace, sporting an actual wood fire, was a big plus. We had our little lapdog along, so we loved the pet-friendly atmosphere, although we realize this will not be to everyone's liking. Also, if you are looking for a large bathroom in your sleeping room, better stay somewhere else. Our bathroom was quite small.

• Stayed November 2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Easton
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Quality Inn Easton
Quality Inn Easton
#6 of 9 in Easton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Easton

Been to Tidewater Inn? Share your experiences!