“Lovely historic hotel”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Easton
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Lovely historic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

If you appreciate history and architecture, stay here. If you want newer cookie cutter average hotel, go to the Hampton Inn or Hol Inn Express. The rooms and bathrooms aren't huge but they are fine in this lovely maiden of a hotel. Comfy bed, lots of AC, Gorgeous lobby, delicious food and wonderful service in a lovely walking town. Hotel is part of National Trust for Historic Preservation. Go out for a walk in the nieghborhood in historic Easton...many places to shop, dine, and explore. Trip Advisor lists this as 3rd best hotel, but I would prefer a historic site with interest and charm to a pre-fab hotel any day. Across the street from the theatre.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Don R, Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful feedback on your Tidewater Inn experience. We look forward to having you stay with us again on your next visit to Easton.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Medina, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at the Tidewater for one night in August 2012. The bad: Upon entering our bathroom the first thing I noticed was a hair on the floor. As I looked more closely I realized there were at least a half dozen long hairs on the floor, as if it had not even been swept or vacuumed between us and the last occupant. This grossed me out to no end, and I called the front desk to complain. A member of the housekeeping staff was sent to our room with a roll of paper towel and a spray bottle. He did clean the bathroom floor, but by that time I was highly suspicious of the whole place and I started looking at everything. What I found: dirty stained carpet, surfaces heavily covered with dust, drippy stains on the inside of the toilet seat cover, a suspicious red stain on the duvet cover, and black grease on the edge of one of the bed pillows...yuk. I didn't take my shoes off the rest of the time, except when I was in bed.

The good: Front desk staff responded promptly to my complaint. Breakfast was nice and reasonably priced. Service in the dining room was excellent. Staff is friendly. The bed was comfortable.

Conclusion: When I see that housekeeping isn't making the slightest effort to clean the surfaces the guest can see, it makes me wonder what else isn't clean that the guest can't see. This place was too dirty for me and I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank frogprince
Don R, Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
We appreciate your feedback on your experience at The Tidewater Inn. We truly apologize for the problems you experienced regarding the cleanliness of your room. The items that you detailed have been addressed with our Housekeeping Management to ensure that our cleanliness standards are upheld. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a future stay.
Westfield, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Our beds were quite comfortable, the rooms were immaculate, and there was a fun atmosphere as a wedding was taking place inside, and a street concert by the US Navy was taking place outside. We enjoyed our stay, and our dog was welcome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vickie W
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The Tidewater Inn is a great place to stay if you are in the Easton area. They made us feel very welcome and helped solve any question or issue. As a restored and updated property built 100 years ago, keep in mind the rooms will be small, but adequate. The bathroom is up to date, but again small by today's standards. The hotel has a full suite of conference rooms and meeting space. The restaurant's food was good and the staff very service oriented. If you are tired of the hotel chain experience and like to stay in historic inns, I think this place fits the bill.

Room Tip: The air conditioning on the 4th floor seemed inadequate, but the 2nd and 3rd floor seemed much coole...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Columbia, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Let me start by saying I love how charming this place is. The room was spacious and had a king bed. The breakfast buffet (included with our deal) was really good. However, I would not stay there again unless they fixed some key issues. The pillows were cheap and thin. Even with using 3 pillows I did not sleep well. We ended up going to Target and buying pillows to use for our second night. We still didn't sleep well, however, because the noise of the doors is ridiculously loud. They always slam, which is especially annoying at 2 am when guests are laughing in the halls and then slam their doors. Also, a staff member was outside in the hall at 6 am and we heard their walkie talkie very loud. We would not stay here next time unless these issues were fixed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Daniel M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

The hotel was very old and pretty, but the air conditioner and room size and bathroom size are terrible. When I called down to see about the air they told me it was the hottess part of the day and to pretty much deal with it and then they brought us a fan. It was 80 in our room, it was 92 outside. The water pressure was terrible as well, it wasn't enought to clean yourself off!!!

Room Tip: higher floor has less a/c, rooms are small and bathroom are very, very small
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank GlickRew
ny, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed at the Tidewater Inn last night, for one night. The last time we were there was about nine years ago. We stayed in a renovated two bed queen, The room was small but comfortable, very clean and well appointed. There was only one chair and that was somewaht inconvenient. The carpet was somewhat soiled in the bedroom.
Yes the bathroom is exceptionally small, but for a one night stay it was acceptable. We had breakfast in the Hunter Inn and it was excellent with a very pleasant staff member waiting on us.
The coffee was wonderful as was the eggs Benedict. I would stay there again however next time I would request a larger room. There was one small problem, we wanted to pay our breakfast with cash and they would not accept our $100. dollar bill, excuse being they did not have sufficient change. I brought the $100. bill to the front desk and they gave me the excuse they do not have change for that amount of currency, suggesting I go down the block to the bank. This incident was very disturbing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Geri P
H S, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for your comments on the Tidewater Inn. We have adjusted our cash availability policy to accomodate larger bills. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast!

H. Sibley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Easton
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Quality Inn Easton
Quality Inn Easton
#6 of 9 in Easton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Easton

Been to Tidewater Inn? Share your experiences!