“Charming and historic, one major drawback”
Review of Tidewater Inn

Tidewater Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Easton
Belgrade, Montana
“Charming and historic, one major drawback”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed at the Tidewater over Memorial Day weekend for my brother's wedding. The hotel itself was very historic and quite charming. Cleanliness was impeccable, the parking valet-man was very quick and efficient; a quick call down to the desk just before leaving the room ensured our car was waiting as soon as we walked into the lobby. Try getting valet service that fast at a large hotel!

As the best man, I would have liked my room to be closer to my brother's, or at a very minimum, on the same floor. (As a side note, they had originally reserved the room for my parents to be adjacent to the Honeymoon suite with a common wall... what were they thinking?! ;) Overall though, we had a wonderful experience at the hotel. Room size was ample, though some of the singles in the wedding party had smaller rooms, the vast majority of the rooms were quite large by historic/boutique hotel standards.

The TWI event staff absolutely went out of their way to ensure the wedding reception went off without a hitch. They made my job and the maid of honor's job easy.

There was really only one thing I had a problem with and why I am not giving my experience 5 stars:

The TWI has got to get a handle on the HVAC system. The outside temperature was somewhat warm over our stay... about 80-90 degrees each day. Our thermostats were locked and unable to be set below 70 degrees. For the prices charged for a room, one should have the freedom and ability to set a thermostat below 70 degrees. In addition, even when it was set at 70 degrees, the room would rarely go below 73 degrees. While it was not unbearably warm in our room, we were not completely comfortable, especially while trying to sleep.

I would stay at the TWI again if I was attending events on location. If I was not attending events on location, I would likely choose another Easton hotel with perhaps less amenities/luxuries that has a working thermostat. However, should the TWI revamp their cooling system, they'd be 5 star in my book and I'd DEFINITELY stay again.

Room Tip: Room 403 is quite large. The rooms in their own alcove are great if traveling as a family since two...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
TheTidewater, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
We really enjoyed having your group with us last month. The lovely comments make it all worthwhile in the hotel business.

I noticed that you mentioned you would of liked to be on the same floor as your brother, the groom. While we try our best to accomodate special requests we were sold out and did not have any wiggle room. We are much like a jigsaw puzzle with our hotel rooms since no room is alike in our hotel and we have 11 different types of rooms as a historic boutique Inn.

The HVAC is in the midst of being fine tuned as it has been a large undertaking taking a 60 year old hotel into the 21st century. We worked with engineers to design a system that could work in this type of hotel. It works 98% of the time with all the rooms with a few minor glitches that we have been fixing. Please do not give up on us as I can guarantee a comfortable stay.

Again, thank you for the wonderful comments and insights. It is the only way we can improve our guests overall experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed at the Tidewater for 2 nights last weekend to attend a wedding in the area. The hotel is beautiful and it is in a great location. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Easton is a lovely town filled with great little shops, cafes and restaurants. It was a nice place to wander around while waiting to attend an evening wedding. I would have given this hotel 5 stars except for the customer service and hidden fees. To be fair there were two women who we dealt with at the front desk (one when checking in and a different one when checking out), one of them was very kind, the other was curt and rude and just seemed generally annoyed. She was certainly not welcoming and did not give a good first impression of the hotel, but perhaps she was just having a bad day. While we were checking in I asked where we should park the car. Instead of simply telling us that the parking lot was behind the building she ordered us in a rude tone to "read the sign" on the front desk. After checking in we went for a walk. Upon returning to the room I found another guest waiting in the hallway near our room on the 3rd floor. She told me that she had been mistakenly given the key to our room. I then tried my key in the door and it didn't work. I went down to the front desk and found a long line. At this point we were running late for the rehearsal dinner. I tried to get the Receptionist's attention to explain that my key didn't work and that someone else had told me they had been given a key to our room. I was told to wait in line behind everyone else who was checking in. Eventually I was given a new key, but the Receptionist never apologized or even acknowledged that the hotel had erred in giving my key to someone else (which meant that someone else had been in our room), and she was fairly rude about making a new key (which they had to do because she had deactivated our key because she had given access to someone else). She clearly knew what had happened and a simple acknowledgement or apology for the inconvenience would have been greatly appreciated. When we received our bill we were surprised to see that we had been charged $20 for a pack-n-play (baby crib) and $24 as a "hotel fee." I understand that many resorts charge "resort fees" in addition to the room price. However, although the Tidewater is a nice hotel it is not a resort. There is no gym, no pool, and no spa. When we asked about a gym we were told that the YMCA is a 15 minute walk away. When we asked about the $12/day room fee we were told that it is mandatory for all guests and it covers "security, parking and wi-fi." This seemed a bit ridiculous and I would have thought that this these services (especially security) would have been included in the $159 per night fee that we were already paying. If they had simply charged $171 a night and advertised the price as $171 instead of $159 it would have been much more honest. I also was not told when I booked, or when we checked in that there was a $20 fee for a crib. We have stayed in many hotels with our toddler and this is the first time we have ever been charged for the use of a crib. It certainly felt like we were being nickle and dimed! When we checked out we asked the receptionist about crib fee and she was kind enough to waive it for us because they had not told us about it (when we checked out we dealt with the nice Receptionist, not the same woman who had checked us in who had been rude). Overall it is a nice place to stay and we enjoyed the weekend, but watch out for the hidden fees! With the extra fees and 10% tax (room + occupancy) your bill will be substantially higher than the advertised price!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AccidentalTourist0
TheTidewater, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on your experience with us. I apologize that we did not inform you of our hotel fees. We make it manadatory when making a reservation that our front desk agents inform you at that time of the hotel fee that covers parking(unlimited valet), internet access and security at night. It is very customary for a city/town hotel to charge for parking and often substantially more than we do as parking is limited in Easton. This way we can guarantee parking for our hotel guests. We included a few more items to make it more palatable.

We often charge for a pack and play as many hotels do as it goes through wear and tear, but again you should be informed.

It is apparent that we have missed a few crucial service rules and there is no excuse for an unpleasant front desk agent.

I know that this is not typical and we like to make this up to you. I know we have taken off the pack and play and we woudl like to extend a complimentary stay for the future. I can assure you that service is our number one goal for our guests.
Hilton Head Island, SC
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Walking around Easton and attending an event at the Avalon Theater (across the street) were on our agenda, so the Tidewater was perfectly located. The Tidewater is not the typical cookie-cutter chain establishment. It is an attractive older building furnished in a way that suggests an earlier, less hectic time. The staff was friendly and seemed eager to make our stay a pleasant one. We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
TheTidewater, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you so much for the lovely comments. We are very fortunate to have the Avalon across the street, great restaurants, and boutique shops. It really adds to the charm of our hotel and the Eastern shore.
Maryland
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Before I started writing this review, I gave this inn four stars, intending to justify the choice of four over three in this narrative. But the more I wrote, the more I realize that this facility really merits three stars, so I went back and changed it.

The Tidewater Inn is an elegant brick building that commands the center of quaint downtown Easton. It faces a street corner rather than a fronting street, so its front doors really open to two streets, with a semicircular driveway in front. It's the only building like that in Easton.

Reception was simple and quick. Though it wasn't exactly difficult to find my room (346), I found the numbering scheme to be odd, as if a wing was added to the original building with no concern for continuity of numbers. So when I got to room 310, I was surprised that the next room was 340. Not a problem, just a noteworthy quirk. What could be a minor problem, though, is that while almost all the corridors are flat, there is a little rise--maybe a foot of height over about a yard in length--that may cause you to stumble as you cross from the 310s to the 340s.

The room was nice, typical for this sort of inn. The bed was a real treat, very soft and loaded with pillows. The desk, windows, etc, were fine.

The two areas deserving of attention are the bathroom and the television, I tend to not watch much television when I am staying at an inn or B&B, so it usually isn't a priority. But I wanted to watch a hockey playoff game that was being nationally televised. If I thought the room-numbering scheme was quirky, the channel situation was downright weird. Instead of having regular numbers--channels 1 through 100, or whatever--the channels started at maybe 80, and weren't even whole numbers. For example, some shows were on 82.3, some on 85.7, and so on, sort of like FM radio. Pressing up and down on the channel buttons would get you to where you wanted to go, but the setup seemed like the artifact of some 1979 cable system. Worse is that once you landed on a channel, it could take up to 20 seconds for an image/audio to appear (as was the case with ESPN), which is frustrating. It turns out that the TV didn't get the hockey game, even though one of the teams was local (Washington Capitals).

The other less than perfect element was the bathroom. It was clean and did the job, but it was cramped. I noted that the toilet was an industrial-flush kind, like ones you'd see in a public restroom, rather than a private background. But I'd take the industrial power-flush over the quaint may-not-flush any day.

Lest it sound like I'm attacking the hotel, it has many nice aspects. The property and grounds are kept up very nicely. Staff are kind and solicitous. Citrus water in the lobby is a nice touch. And the meeting room we used for a corporate conference was very elegant. The only problem was high humidity in the room.

Restaurant food and service were very good. I was pleasantly surprised to be served a delicious white grapefruit at one breakfast, but the next day I was given a regular pink one. The Saturday morning buffet was more limited than one might expect. Very little fresh fruit, no pancakes, no cereal. Cream cheese and lox were a hit, but there were no bagels to put them on, which sort of defeats their purpose.

Location is also very good, just steps away from many good restaurants and shops. The inn also offers YMCA passes to those who want to exercise. It is a huge, fully stocked facility, with a basketball court, multiple weight rooms, dozens of pieces of cardio equipment, exercise classes, a pool, etc. If you're in a hurry, drive. Walking at a leisurely pace takes 25 minutes. Walking briskly still takes 15, even though the map reception shows you makes it look like it's around the corner.

At the right price, you'd do well at the Tidewater Inn, but it is by no means a must stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mgips
Thank you for the well written piece on the Tidewater Inn. We are definitely a historic boutique Inn with many charming characteristics. Also, thank you for considering us as a four star property. We are working towards four stars/diamonds, but as you mentioned we are still a three diamond property.

You are also very correct that when the new section was added in the 1950's they designated different numbers and there is a slight elevation as you walk into the new section of the hotel. I believe it still adds character.

We are constantly striving to improve heating/AC as we have put in a new system, which was a special design by engineers since we are an older hotel. We are definitely working out some quirks. Although, we try to make our rooms very comfortable with new quality linens and trying to utilize green products in our rooms as we try to lessen our foot print.

We have also implemented "Farm to Table" in the restaurant and we buy what our market can provide us on a dialy basis. So, there are times we will have different food items in the resturant but we do hope it is tasty and healthy.

We hope to see you for another conference or a quick getaway. Again, thank you for the well written piece.
Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I booked in for 2 nights.The tub was leaking and had yellow slime in it.Very small room.Towels were dirty. I reported to front desk.Nothing happened. Had a party of 16 people the Tuesday night .The service was the worse we ever had . One lady got scallopes that smelled bad. My hubby and I had finished our main course and the couple sitting across from us did not get served untill 30 minutes later.The next morning we went down for breakfast, you could hear the girls laughing in the back roon . Waited for 10 min. no one came . Left and went somewhere else. Will never go back.Wporse experience ever

Room Tip: I have no tips
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
TheTidewater, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience with us at the Tidewater Inn. I am beside myself as this is not our typical service or cleaniless of the hotel. We are definitely a historic hotel, but cleanliness is of the utmost importance to us. We routinely shut off the water to do room maintenance for leaks such as yours. It does happen when we turn it on that we get an occasional rust stain. We constantly train our staff and management to react quickly to an issue that may arise and we missed the stains in that room. We have been constantly upgrading our rooms, linens, heating and ari conditioning to improve the overall guests experience. As many of our comments on tripadvisor are reflecting our changes in a positive manner.

The restaurant also has a stellar chef that is renowned on the Eastern Shore and works with fresh seafood that comes in daily and must pass his inspection. This is a first of it's kind as a complaint and many other guests at the dinner party had commented on how lovely the meal was that evening. We also tried to make amends that evening by buying your dinners and offered dessert complimentary to all.

We do hope that there is something that we can do to make this a better memory for you and return again to our hotel.
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed at the Tidewater after being there several years ago. We had tickets to the concert at the Avalon Theater across the street so the Tidewater is really convenient. The Tidewater is a well maintained historic inn with ample parking on site and a bar/restaurant. The bar area is small and typically too crowded to get a seat. That wasn't a problem though since there are several taverns & restaurants within walking distance. We were also disappointed that breakfast wasn't included and the available breakfast was expensive. Overall a very nice hotel, conveniently located with friendly & helpful staff but lacking as far as the restaurant and bar.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Sgtuckahoe
TheTidewater, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on the Inn and its' beautiful surroundings. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and it was peaceful. The area is gearing up for the season and it will be very busy shortly with festivals and artists events. We look forward to your next visit and please request a room with a tub. Those bathrooms are a bit larger, although every room is very different as a historic Inn. See you soon!
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We really enjoyed the Tidewater Inn. Always wanted to stay there during Waterfowl Festival but never any luck as it books fast. We stayed one night, and everyone from the front desk people to the waitress at breakfast were great. It is older so dont expect huge rooms like you get at newer hotels today, but they are very comfortable rooms, and when in Easton you shoundn't be in your room anyway. The beds was great, nice and comfortable! Fantastic location to walk around Easton. We made the easy 1 block walk to Bartlett Pear Inn for dinner (awesome place for dinner). Came back, enjoyed some drinks in the Hunters Tavern bar. Breakfast was great and good service. We are going back in 2 weeks and can't wait!

Room Tip: Ask for the King Deluxe!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RED23434
TheTidewater, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful feedback on our boutique hotel. It is a great place for wandering around town with all the shops, boutiques and restaurants. We look forward to seeing you in two weeks. Spring will be in full swing and the fresh Maryland Blue Crabs are in season.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Easton
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Quality Inn Easton
Quality Inn Easton
#6 of 9 in Easton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Easton

Been to Tidewater Inn? Share your experiences!