“Pleasant day beatiful setting”

Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Dickerson
Reviewed November 10, 2012

After a beautiful ride and walk at sugarloaf mountain, we relaxed with our friends from Vermont at the near by vineyard. We received a warm reception, sevice and resonse to our questions. The Pinot grigo was chilled and the cheese snack hit the spot. Good time had by all.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

before the entrance of the sugarloaf mountain here is this winery. You can have a tasting for $10, buy a glass or a bottle. They have few chairs and tables where you can enjoy your wine and have some sun bath. I did not try the wine, since I was driving, but my friends tried it ad said it wasn't hat great, but was nice and the setting is beautiful. I would say it does not worth the trip just for the winery, but is nice complement after the hiking

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wow!
My first experience with a Maryland winery was several years ago - and being served in small plastic "dentist mouthwash cups" was a major turnoff.

So - although Sugarloaf was recommended by a friend I was a bit skeptical.
- contrary to other postings their pours are a lot more ample now -

Wines are decent. Nice Chardonnay and the Reds were ok.

The grounds are nice and allow for spreading out - though the main country road is - right there.

But I think the place hasn't yet found its identity.

The grounds have sooo much potential, but I think the owners/managers need to go look at other regional wineries - Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Then decided what direction they want to go in. Do they want to be a big party place like Linganore? Do they want to be a more upscale place like Tarara? Do they want to be more country and rustic like Rappahonnack? Do they want to be eclectic like Notaviva? Do they want to be dog friendly like Barrel Oak?

They need find their niches and then learn how to use their space better. There's a HUGE lawn in the upper tasting area - why not set up bocce, croquet or something else where people can participate while still drinking their wine.

1  Thank COTraveller33
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Had driven by a few times and finally decided to stop in with the family. Quite a few employees around but no one seemed interested in helping us. Odd layout -- tasting is in some kind of structure out back, nicer building is used to sell the wine. For tastings or selling, could not get assistance, and it was not that busy. They also had some kind of cheese platter for sale, but could not figure out how to buy one. The trip was a bust, so we left.

3  Thank Karl38
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I have never been inclined to write a review, until today, as I have never been more offended and disgusted by the rude woman I encountered. My dad and I drove in as he was looking to check out the wines. While he was inside, I wandered around the property (on grass, within 100 feet of my car in the parking lot.) A woman with a clipboard approached me near my car and in an accusatory, rude manner asked, "Is there something I can help you with?" I explained my Dad was inside, and I was waiting outside. I was then told I was supposed to check in, as they had me on "surveillance" roaming their private property (there were zero signs stating we needed to check in, or were not allowed to walk on their grass.) I assumed because my Dad was looking to purchase wine, I could walk around outside. Apparently not. She proceeded to make me feel like an unwanted trespasser, all because I walked on a bit of grass near my car while waiting. Regardless, I will never, ever step foot near their property again (nor will my Dad), nor would I take a bottle of their wine for free. These people need to learn manners and a bit of humility. No wonder there was no one there. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

5  Thank RKF7