“Convenient and Comfortable”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Delmar
NW Ohio
“Convenient and Comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed here for one night enroute to other places. We found the property to be everything we expected to find in a HI Express.

One pet peeve - I wish HI Express properties heated their outdoor pools and would provide at least a small hot tub. But that's just me.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

Overall, this was a very clean and newer hotel to stay at. My girlfriends and I stayed here for my bachelorette party. We were intending to spend most of our time in Ocean City.

I had no issues with the hotel itself, but mostly with the location. If you can get a room at the Holiday Inn right by the ocean I would go that route. I've stayed there too and I loved it.

This location also had a great indoor pool that we loved. It was a pain to drop off our belongings, drive to the boardwalk (30 minutes) and then come back to get ready for the party and then drive back to Ocean City (another 30 minutes). Then of course driving back to the hotel.

For convenience alone, I would try to stay closer to Ocean City next time. The hotel itself was a great experience, good staff, clean facility, parking, and nearby Ihop and shopping.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Delmar hotels

Athens, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

This hotel sets back off the road so it is very quiet. The property is clean and well maintained and appears to be new in the last year or so. Breakfast was typical of the chain and was well stocked. Our room was also typical of the chain and was very clean and well maintained. There was plenty of parking and access to the parking lot was easy. There is a good selection of restaurants and shopping including Walmart and Sam's are nearby. We would definately stay here again.

• Liked — Clean, quiet and well maintained.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2008

Stayed there for business this past week, and the room was very clean and plenty of room. Had desk with internet hookup and lots of TV channels

Stayed April 2008
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2008

Arrived late on a Friday afternoon with my family. Stepped on blueberries that were on the carpet in the room. Shows that the carpet wasn't vacuumed after the last guests. The toilet was stopped up. Front Desk suggested that they could get me a plunger and I could work on it myself. I declined and reminded the young man that I was a paying customer, not an employee. The desk attendant said they would work on it Saturday. We used the toilet in the lobby.

Also let him know that the shower faucet handle was loose. When we got back Saturday we found that no maid service was performed and the maids were gone for the day. But the toilet was unblocked.

The staff is indifferent at best. I have stayed at other Holiday Inn Express hotels and have always been pleased. I am very dissapointed with this stay.

• Liked — The wireless internet access was good.
  • Disliked — The totally indifferent staff.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Ard_Ri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2007

On the afternoon of August 4th, I returned to my room, walked in the door, and proceeded to my bed to remove my sneakers. That's when I looked back toward the door and the tiled area near it and saw something black coiled in the corner. I was confused at first, wondering what I had in my belongings that I could have dropped, but then I realized that it wasn't anything that belonged to me. I almost screamed.

I called the front desk and requested that the manager get to my room right away. He arrived shortly, but I had deadbolted the door. I had to leap onto a chair, grab a hanger, and reach to disengage the deadbolt so the manager could come in.

Once he was in, I pointed at the snake. The manager looked down at the snake, and with a smirk he looked up at me and said, "Maybe you brought it in with your suitcase." I was appauled by his accusation. He acted as though I was some sort of scam artist.

I demanded that he get the snake out of my room. He didn't want to pick it up with his hand, so he left my room and returned with some plastic tongs to pick up the snake. He returned to my room a couple of minutes later to tell me he had to do away with the snake.

I demanded that he check the rest of the room. He did so, but he never apologized for what had just happened. He left the room, but about 10 minutes later, I called the front desk to speak with him again because I wanted to move to another room. The woman at the front desk told me the manager had left for the evening. She lied because when I exited the hotel about 15 minutes later, I ran smack into the manager returning with carry out food. He wouldn't even look me in the eyes.

Later that evening I was told there were no other rooms to move me to because the facility was full, but I checked out anyhow. I could not imagine spending another night in a room where a snake had managed to slither in. I stayed in my sister's room on the second floor.

The next morning, while standing in the lobby, the front desk clerk over heard the ordeal about the snake, and she said to me, "You know we credited you for that night's stay." I said, "No one told me." She asked, "Weren't you the one who came downstairs and complained this morning?" I said, "No, and if you did credit me, I need a receipt verifying such." She did give me a receipt. But that wasn't the point. I've stayed at hotels in most of the states in the US, but I have never been treated with such disregard as I experienced at this Holiday Inn Express location. The manager never apologized, and I firmly believe they could have switched my room because I'm sure not everyone who had reserved for the night of August 4th had arrived by the time of the snake incident in my room, but that offer was never made. And then when they did credit me, no attempt was made to call and notify me. My home number was given when I made my reservation, so they could have called.

I would rather sleep in my car than stay at this facility again. Who knows what might slither in under the cover of darkness and frighten someone to the point of a panic attack or heart attack.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank Othello2
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2007

I am an platinum level member of priority club (and diamond with Hilton Honors). I tavel alot. Usually I try to stay at a property that will add to my point totals.

This was just an overnight trip in the Salisbury area. I decided on Holiday Inn Express, the closest property they had was in Delmar - less then 10 miles from my business site.

Driving to the hotel I thought I had missed it. I called and the person that answered the phone knew the area well - his directions were excellent, he even knew why I thought I had missed it (You drive into a remote area of Rt 13 and go through some woods - then the property appears on the left out of nowhere).

Check in was smooth - I arrived at 10pm, and the parking lot was pretty much empty. The clerk gave me my key for the 3rd floor and up I went.

This is where the problems started. It was a very cold night out and the heat was off in the room. I turned it up on high but the curtains (very thin) just billowed up and I suspect half the heat went to warming the windows. WHY DO SOME HOTELS HAVE PAPER THIN CURTAINS? If they had been heavier this would not have been a problem. Around midnight I realized the room would not warm up much, and I suppose I could have called down and requested another room. But I figgured I would be put into another cold room and wanted to get some sleep.

The next morning I woke up to a 'cool' room, if not cold. Mind you the heater had been blowing on high at maximum heat all night.

The paper thin curtains were barely opaque. This is a problem. - I could clearly see the cars in the lot and on Rt 13, so anyone outside could see into the rooms.

Next problem - half way through the shower (10 minutes?) the hot water gave out. I finished my shower in cold water. Went downstairs for breakfast (8am). Pickings were VERY sparse. A few rolls, some danish, and exactly 3 pieces of fruit in the bowl. So I guess I'm skipping breakfast, huh?

I went to the checkout desk and explained the issues to the clerk. She got defensive as I was explaining the problems. Only after I reassured her that I wasn't blaming her personally, but thought managment should know. She said "Well, we're having lots of problems on the third floor" Since the hotel was very empty I asked why I was put there. She told me she didnt know, SHE wasn;t the one that put me there. When I asked for the manager she told me she would take care of the bill - "I'll give you half off".

I would have prefered to pay full rack rate and gotten a decent hotel.

TIP - Anytime you are going to check in late, call ahead and tell them to turn the heat up in your room.

I will NOT stay at this particular Holiday Inn Express Again

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Statmans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Delmar
Hampton Inn Salisbury
#2 of 14 in Salisbury
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Salisbury
La Quinta Inn & Suites Salisbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Salisbury

Been to Holiday Inn Express Salisbury-Delmar? Share your experiences!