“Fine French Dining in Maryland Mountains”
Review of Deer Park Inn

Deer Park Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Deer Park
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Pascal and Sandy Fontaine bought Deer Park Inn in 1996 and immediately made it the place for fine French dining in Garrett County. I have eaten there often since they opened and have always found it an immensely sarisfying experience.
Besides some traditional French dishes, there is always something new ot try. My favorite is the duck. I don't know that it's ever been prepared the same way, but it has always been tasty. A dish I expecially liked this summer was grilled shrimp on homemade pasta.
Their bread is extraordinary. There is always a creative variety of salads. On one visit this summer I had boursin cheese wrapped in zucchini on panata coulis that was really exceptional.
My favorite dessert is the profiteroles, a kind of cream puff. A rich bittersweet chocolate pate is a real treat, as well as various fruit crisps. A unique dessert, ordered for a special party in early summer, was an enormous baked Alaska cake which was truly awesome in size and taste.
Deer Park Inn is a "cottage" that was built long before Deep Creek Lake was even a dream. In 1873 the famous Deer Park Hotel was built along the railroad in southern Garrett. In the vicinity were built a number of very large homes which were deceptively called "cottages." Deer Park Inn is one of the few remaining "cottages." So besides eating in style, you also get to experience a bit of history.

2  Thank LittleRaven

Reviewed July 15, 2012

the chicken in chicken curry was rubbery. though the curry sauce was tasty. My friend received the wrong order and so she had to wait for them to prepare the right food she ordered. was very pricey for the quality of food.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I have dined here twice and have enjoyed our experience both times. I love that the food is creatively prepared with fresh ingredients. The chef grows his own herbs and even served honey from his own hive with my hot tea! The portions are the perfect size for me, because I want to try something from every part of the menu; appetizer, salad, soup, entree and dessert. Every plate put before me was all but licked clean it was so good. The part of the inn that you dine is nicely restored and my husband really appreciated the beautiful Victorian woodworking. We will return again.

2  Thank RnRUSA
Reviewed October 24, 2010

This is a unique old place with quite an atmosphere, great for a romantic birthday dinner, especially in the fall! The food was outstanding and everything is prepared fresh with local produce. The wine list is limited but we were able to find something nice. They serve the best bread I've ever had outside of Germany, all freshly baked on the premises in a wood-fired oven. The water is the real Deer Park Spring water and fortunately not served with ice cubes. Portions are medium size and leave room for dessert. Overall, a very positive experience in an over 100 year old setting.

2  Thank susannekuehne
Reviewed September 7, 2010

You will not believe how delicious the food at this place is. It is an incredible find and should be on every food maniac's radar.

Everything is farm-fresh and cooked & presented with incredible care. Nothing comes off a truck -- the owner drives off to Amish market for produce and raises his own honey bees, among other things.

There were more chef's specials than items on the menu the night we ate there, because the chef is some impassioned mad genius who whips up culinary delights in this off-the-beaten-track inn. We had items from both the standard and the daily menu.

We had:

homemade ravioli
mixed salad with melted goat cheese and bruschetta
beet salad with chevre
confit of duck
fillet of beef tenderloin
peach melba

and great googly-moogly everything was perfect. They bake a wonderful, crusty whole-grain loaf which is also worth noting. My only disappointment with the meal is that they serve standard foil-wrapped butter pats instead of real French butter, and the owner groaned at my comment and said she wished I had only asked -- they use excellent butter in the kitchen and would have gladly brought some out (they switched to foil pats on the advice of the health dept).

We lingered over our meal for about 3 hours, talking with the charming owners and enjoying the period details of the dining room.

Next time we are in the Deep Creek Lake area we are definitely staying here. I cannot imagine how glorious the breakfasts must be and the inn is in a lovely, romantic location.

Note: advanced reservations required.

2  Thank Tailyp0