New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Delightful late-1800s Victorian, fantastic food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Deer Park Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Deer Park
Deer Park Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Deer Park B&B and Inns
Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
“Delightful late-1800s Victorian, fantastic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We spent 2 nights in late October's autumn beauty at this off-the-beaten-path place a few miles from Deep Creek Lake. The Pennington room was comfortable, cozy, sunlit in the mornings, and very late-1800s in furnishings & bath. If you appreciate olden times, you'll love this. This is not a jacuzzi/TV/pool-type place--this is authentic olden days, with original tub (shower added), marble sink, etc. Bring a good book. But the finest features of Deer Park Inn are innkeepers Pasqual & Sandy, and the food. Pasqual is a veteran French chef, and is very passionate about fine foods & wines for your palate & health, using all-fresh ingredients, making everything from scratch, including the bread. The a la carte dinner menu is higher-end & worth every penny. We had the best chicken curry ever (better than in any Indian restaurant we've tried) and crab strudel. The breakfasts are just wonderful -- one morning, we had the lightest buckwheat cakes ever w/scrambled eggs & bacon; another morning banana pancakes w/whipped cream. Fresh-squeezed OJ, fresh fruit cup, fresh-baked bread, etc. Just wonderful. As we left, we enjoyed an hour of animated conversation with Pasqual & Sandy about the arts of cooking & innkeeping. We'll definitely be back, already planning to return for an upcoming birthday.

Room Tip: The Pennington room is spacious & sunny in the mornings.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MPBrazil

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

This B&B is an untouched Victorian treasure. My husband and I just returned from a two night stay with Sandy and Pasqual. I am never disappointed. After years of traveling by motorcycle this is the only B&B that i have insisted on returning to for the past three years. My husband and I are motorcyclists that favor vacationing in the mountains. The Deer Park Inn is in a perfect location for us. West Virginia never disappoints the area has one breathtaking panorama after another. We have repeatedly chosen this as our first stop and stay at a different B&B every night along the way. We like to try different places every time but this one I can't stop returning to. I think there are several reasons one of the greatest is my love and appreciation for Pasqual's exquisite cuisine. Truly a special treat! Guaranteed he will only use the freshest, highest quality seasonal ingredients. If you are lucky enough to be waited on by their animated son Nick you will be able to imagine what it will taste like before it arrives and know what he plans to eat later. Breakfast is always phenomenal and eating out on their porch with a cup of robust coffee is a wonderful way to begin the day. The fratata kept me satisfied till late afternoon. All the bread is baked fresh daily by Pasqual. This inn is also a fine restaurant that happens to be very reasonably priced. Don't expect to meet Pasqual, it took us three years but he is not an enigma. He keeps himself very busy behind the scene. I believe serving as chef is only one of the many hats he wears. This house was built 140 years ago and still has many of the original fixtures. We had a leak with the toilet, the original gravity tank with a pull chain. Pasquale fixed it quickly remember this unit has no replacement parts. The imperfections add to the Inns charm and authenticity. All the furniture is original to the house. Although there is no AC I've never needed it there, we have always stayed in mid to late July. It is not an accident that it is located where it is. You will find the giant front door almost always wide open. Ask Sandie about the interesting history of this cottage, it's fascinating. Sandie is warm and friendly, a genuine pleasure. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and some may find the predictability of a Quality Inn more to their liking. If however you have a true appreciation for American history, fine cuisine, victorian antiques, warm hospitality and all the geographic location has to offer then I would recommend you try a stay.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amy N
Smithsburg, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Beautiful 1890's cottage house. Unrestored origional furnishings and charm. No air conditioning required in this mountain haven. French country hospitality provided by Sandy and her master chief husband Pascal. The food is fabulous!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Luanne M
Baltimore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

This place is old, which I like, but it lacks some basic amenities that I expect in a B&B these days. The door to our bedroom did not have a lock on it. Any of the guests in the place could have walked on us. Breakfast was set before us in the morning without any questions about our dietary restrictions or preferences. My eggs had a dog hair in them. The sheets and pillow cases has a musty smell to them. I had trouble falling asleep because of that. No air conditioning. In the summer? The place is isolated and you can't really walk anywhere from the inn. You need a car. The staff seems to mean well but I really can't recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Reggie90210
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

My husband and I found the Deer Park Inn last minute and booked it because nothing else was available in the Deep Creek Lake Area. I am sorry to say that we should have just waited a few weekends until something else opened up.

I can truly appreciate the historical value behind some bed and breakfasts but the stench in the place was nearly too much. Everything is so dark and the colors are that dark maroon stuff that was popular in the Victorian age. I spent most of the night looking for ghosts. Yes, I was awake most of the night because the bed was horrible and the sheets smelled like sour dust. Oh, and there's no a/c and it's August. You do the math.

I've seen hostels that were better than this place. I just don't like paying $180 for a room that is worth 1/4 of that price. The website pictures made it look so nice and cozy but that's just not the case. Stay away from this place unless you like throwing money down the toilet....which, by the way, had a pull chain and refused to flush completely.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Wisp Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Blue Moon Rising
Blue Moon Rising
#1 of 2 in McHenry

Been to Deer Park Inn? Share your experiences!