“Great location, great old building, great breakfast, friendly & personable hostess!”
Review of Bruce House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cumberland
Bruce House Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Cumberland B&B and Inns
Charles Town, West Virginia
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The title of the review just about says it all. Not the fanciest B&B I've stayed at, but very, very nice and located right next to St. Peter & Paul Shrine Catholic Church (one of the most beautiful church interiors I've ever attended Mass at), and just a few blocks away from downtown Cumberland. Would certainly stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rickgmail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Greensburg
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Bruce House during a bike trip with our friends. The Inn keeper was very nice, the room was nice, breakfast was good, however somewhat overpriced for that area. A couple of issues was that the thermostat in our room went up to over 90 degrees in the morning! It was cold out that night and so the owner had to turn the heat on. We were in a downstairs room and honestly, I could not bear the heat. Also, the place could have been cleaner. There were some hairs in the bathtug, ugh!, cobwebs around the ceiling in the bedroom, and pretty dusty on the back of the leather sofa in the sitting room. I guess I have high expectations for that much money. I noticed that most of the guests rated it pretty high. I was just slightly disappointed. Not sure if I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floor may not be as hot as the room that we stayed in behind the staircase on the low...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
InnkeeperPam, Owner at Bruce House Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am most sorry that your room was not properly prepared for your arrival. We have been extremely busy during the high season, many days turning over all 5 rooms, but there is no excuse for a room not being immaculate. As you can see from previous posts, we are highly rated on cleanliness and I apologize sincerely for this lapse in oversight. I am also sorry you experienced an uncomfortable heat level; the furnace turned on that night for the first time this season and the situation was quickly remedied by closing the floor vents. Upon arrival all guests are given information as to how to contact me if I am not in the inn; I would much prefer a guest call me with a problem rather than be uncomfortable or unhappy with their accommodations.
As far as our rates, they are not based on other local lodging but on what we offer our guests. We are located in the beautiful, quiet historic district, just a short walk to all major attractions; all of our rooms have en-suite bathrooms including such amenties as fluffy robes, earth-friendly spa-grade toiletries and towel warmers in some rooms; we serve wine in the evening and tea, hot chocolate and snacks are available at all times (this time of year by the fireside, lovely!); and our well-reviewed two-course breakfast is prepared with fresh fruit, real butter and cream, locally produced breakfast meats and in the winter served with syrup from local tree farms. We also accommodate all special diets and provide breakfast in bed for couples celebrating special events. Additionally, we are always happy to make reservations, restaurant recommendations, order scenic train tickets at our discounted rate, and I have even done laundry for exhausted cyclists who were too tired to pedal to the nearest laundromat. Our rates are based on this level of service and in line with other similar lodging. Although food, utility and labor costs have risen dramatically the past few years, we have not raised our rates in four years and will not be raising them in 2013. We also offer a number of special discounts for multiple room and multiple night stays, and military and senior discounts.
We have many loyal return guests who have made the Bruce House their second home. I will be extending a gift certificate to you for a free night's stay in the hope that you will enjoy what our many return guests have rated us so highly for. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you in the future.
Connecticut
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just to echo what others have said: If you're traveling in the beautiful Cumberland area, never a bad idea, and especially if you happen to be doing it during the glorious leaf season that is annually on display there, Bruce House is THE place to stay. Pam is a lovely and very personable hostess, the rooms are delightful (we stayed in the George Washington), and breakfast is scrumptious. We tend to be easily satisfied, but this went way beyond our expectations. The only negative I can think of is probably a positive...my Verizon Wireless was useless in this town. Otherwise, nothing but raves!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Selah
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed in the Columbia Bruce Room and it was really nice. Breakfast was good. Located within walking distance to town and very charming. The innkeeper even put out a bottle of wine for us in the evening and a cookie by the bed! Garage to lock bikes up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
US
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I went to Cumberland for a little getaway and to relax from a busy summer. We wanted some peace and quiet since we work in the DC metro area, but we didn't want to be in the car for 3+hrs either. We stayed in the George Washington room, which is located on the second floor (the only room on that floor). There are about I believe five rooms in total, two downstairs, one on the second floor and two more on the top floor. But our room was right next to the temporary kitchen which smelled of bacon, coffee and french that morning. Oh, how fortunate we were to wake up to those smells.

Our room was very spacious, and matched exactly what the pictures showed. The bathroom was equally charming with period touches throughout. The bed was big and spacious which was great for a good nights rest. The breakfast was delicious too, we had french toast drizzled with strawberries and a drizzle of raspberry syrup on top and apple wood smoked bacon.

We looked at several other B&B's in the area, but none of them had the charm of this place, and we're so glad we picked this one. There is parking in the inn keeper's driveway as well as convenient off the street parking as well.

We will definitely be going back to room here. And would suggest it for anyone looking for a charming B&B in Cumberland.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I don't know why, but we had gotten out of the habit of staying in B&Bs and opted for boutique hotels whenever possible. One night at the Bruce House Inn convinced me that we needed to go back to our old ways. We stayed here for two nights and the location in Cumberland is an ideal access point to the C&O Canal and the Great Alleghany Passage trails. The inn is charming, immaculate, and most welcoming. Pam, the owner, was absolutely wonderful -- we were greeted by a platter of homemade chocolate chip cookies and wine upon our arrival -- and she was a great source of information about local places of interest. Her breakfasts are to die for and her coffee rivals the best espresso bar. The location, a very short walk from the town center is ideal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ceeveedee
Reviewed September 10, 2012

On our last leg of the GAP trip with my husband, his brother and his best friend, we chose to stay at The Bruce House Inn in Cumberland, MD. What a wonderful surprise!

This is a charming place with all the modern conveniences. We stayed in the Columbia Bruce room which was both romantic and charming. In fact the water pressure in the shower was second to none. I wish we had a shower like that at home.

My brother-in-law and husband's best friend stayed in the Crow's Nest Room which was at the top floor of this home. Since I was driving the "SAG" wagon, I unloaded the car and got to see how nice it was. The guys did mention the a/c was not working properly, but they opened the windows for the evening and had a wonderful cool breeze all night. Had they mentioned so to Pam, I know she would have corrected this, but alas I only found out 2 days later back at my inlaws house.

Pam, the proprietor of Bruce House Inn, is extremely helpful and friendly, without hovering. Her hospitality with wine in the evening was an added surprise. But the breakfast the next morning was outstanding!

We are so looking foward to ending our trip next year back at The Bruce House Inn. Truly a wonderful B&B with Old World Elegance and new world charm;~)

Room Tip: Couples definitely want the Columbia Bruce Room. The Crow's Nest is 2 double beds and is perfec...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cumberland
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
Gunter Hotel
#2 of 6 in Frostburg
Best Western Braddock Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites La Vale - Cumberland

Been to Bruce House Inn? Share your experiences!