“Great for train buffs, not a bad way to spend an afternoon” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Western Maryland Scenic Railroad

Western Maryland Scenic Railroad
Ranked #5 of 34 things to do in Cumberland
More attraction details
Owner description: The Western Maryland Scenic Railroad offers a variety of scenic, dining, and specialty excursions throughout the year. Individual and group rates are available for the Mountain Limited, our scenic excursion, as well as Evening Paradise Dinner Trains on Saturday evenings. Also available throughout the year are various specialty and holiday excursions. *Special Notice* Despite a landslide that occurred along Western Maryland Scenic Railroad tracks, WMSR will adhere to its 2016 schedule. Operations will continue with a change to the usual route. Excursions will depart eastward from the Cumberland Station. This will provide guests the opportunity to view the WMSR Shop, where our heritage equipment is restored, maintained, and housed. This is the current site of the C&O 1309 restoration. The train will then head west, traveling past the Cumberland Station to Woodcock Hollow. Guests will have the opportunity to see the most notable landmarks along the route, including Brush Tunnel and Helmstetter’s Curve. The section of land where the landslide occurred in early 2016 must be stabilized before safe passage can resume to Frostburg. It is the priority of WMSR and the government agencies involved to ensure everyone’s safety. WMSR would like to thank Allegany County and the surrounding community, as well as its guests, for their continued support. As we look forward to our return to Frostburg, we will continue to provide our guests with fun, memorable experiences aboard WMSR.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great for train buffs, not a bad way to spend an afternoon”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The old coal fired steam engine pulling this train is a marvel. We purchased the club car tickets which provided a "snack". A word of advice, if you're taking this train, skip the club ticket, purchase a regular excursion ticket. The good seats are on the right side of the train. Get in line early enough to get one and you're in. Our "reserved" seats in the club car were on the left side of the train and we really could not see anything out of the window on the right side, since it was fogged up with some sort of condensation between the panes. The snack consisted of a hot dog or popcorn and a bottle of soda. Good enough and the train ride only takes an hour each way. Once in Frostburg, you can climb stairs into the town. There are 88 stairs but they are very easy to navigate. Then, another climb up a fairly steep street to the main street of Frostburg. There were a few small restaurants open, but no shops. It was just nice to walk into the town.

It was a nice way to spend a fall afternoon.

Visited November 2013
6 Thank Marcie T

Massillon, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Stay away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Two words " RIP OFF " We waited 45 minutes while 250 senior citizens were getting on through one door, only to find out we could have entered somewhere else. No one person said anything about moving from where we were standing. We drove 4 1/2 hours to ride a steam powered train and were denied the opportunity to exit when they had to change to a diesel .We have been on many train trips and this one was nothing special. The scenery was just OK, if you are lucky enough to sit on the correct side of the train. I would say that this train is very poorly managed In summary--train was late--250 seniors sat in the cold--no offer to get off when they changed to diesel--boarding was mayhem. Cass Scenic Railway is far superior to this train

4 Thank Jim B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not as good as advertised”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Went on this trip to see fall colors - turns out, most of the leaves were off the trees - that's not the fault of the WMSR folks, though. That being said, the trip was relatively expensive ($33) for what is essentially an hour ride between Cumberland and Frostberg. We left late because the boarding process was very disorganized. As it turns out, many of the train windows weren't very clean, and you mainly only got views out of one side of the train and sometimes not much of a view at all. The employees were pleasant, and they dressed in Halloween costumes, which was fun. We only ended up with about an hour for lunch and to see Frostburg, about 15 minutes of which were eaten up by the disembarkation process and then a climb up a long, high hill into town.

1 Thank SueG_DC
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Great for train buffs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Well managed and maintained railroad using a 1916 2-8-0 loco. Closed heated/air conditioned cars with a snack bar or sit-down luncheon in first class. Good photo ops. Don't lean out of the cars for too long......much cinders from the loco will pelt you and really coat your head.

1 Thank Kevin D
York, PA
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Not worth the price”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I went on this train ride with my husband and his parents in late September 2013. Overall, I feel it was not worth the money. $55 a person for an hour long train ride (each way) and lunch was too expensive. Lunch is served on the ride up to Frostburg. I had the turkey meal which was better than I expected. Service was ok and portions were good. We had 90 minutes in Frostburg which was too much time. If you eat lunch on the train, I recommend you stay nearby and watch the engine turn around. We did not do this, but wish we had because there’s not much to see in town.

One of the most important things you need to know is that there is a very steep, long hill you need to climb to get into town. There are several flights of stairs, but then it’s just a narrow sidewalk to get up into town. In town, we didn’t find much to see or do. We visited a small pawn shop, but that took all of 5 minutes. When you reach the top of the initial hill, there will be another hill to your right where most of the restaurant and shops are. We did not go that way as we were tired from the first part of the hike.

We ended up going back down the hill and stairs to the small restaurant/ice cream shop. Some of the ice cream was ok but the service was bad. It is run by a bunch of young, nasty girls who do not smile, let alone have any common courtesies. My husband had the birthday cake ice cream and he said he knew why it was called that – it had had at least one birthday. If you do get ice cream at this place, stick to popular flavors that get turned around regularly.

When we got back on the train, we were served dessert. I had a slice of chocolate cake that was very dry and without much flavor -- I didn’t eat it. Everyone at our table had asked for coffee. Only one person got a full cup, another got half a cup as they had run out. I thought that meant they would brew some more, but that was not the case. They did not have any more coffee on the train. I said I would have tea and asked for a hot cup of water as I carry my own tea bags. The waiter brought me a cup of tea with the bag already in the water. I asked again for just hot water. He brought a cup of water that was just a bit warmer than room temperature. This is one thing I cannot understand. We were riding on a steam train; that means hot water. How can you not serve water hot enough to steep a cup of tea and how can you run out of coffee?

As we were riding along back to the station, my husband commented how he didn’t feel as though there was anything special or enjoyable about the train ride itself. He said it was no different than riding on a bus. There was very little to see as we were seated beside a very small window that looked out onto the side where it was just a rock wall for most of the ride. The train itselfl was clean, but in need of minior cosmetic repairs.

I do not recommend this train ride.

Visited September 2013