“Snowed in at Christmas”

Rocky Gap State Park
Ranked #3 of 38 things to do in Cumberland
More attraction details
Owner description: Park that offers swimming beaches, campsites and boat rentals.
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Mike and I had plans in Cumberland and La Vale so we booked a three night stay at Rocky Gap.
The snows came.We ended up staying put. But we went on three great hikes around the lake. The lodge looked magical at night from the far bank of the lake.
We had a mediocre lunch so were worried about the buffets.But we ate at the Christmas buffet, breakfast buffet, and the pasta buffet. There were plenty of selections.Everything we chose was very good.
Quite a few weary travelers took shelter from the storm and the impassable roads and the staff did a great job accommodating them, even the ones with the family dogs. Wish the exercyle was in good working condition, but the pool was great. All the staff that we came in contact with were upbeat and helpful, even though the storm snowed quite a few of them in so they missed Christmas with their families. Nice folks. Great buffets. Not what we planned,
but a wonderful place to ride out the storm.

1  Thank Palannie

Reviewed November 5, 2012

i go every sunday in the summertime. its normally warmer water in aug and july and the kids always have a blast. its never too deep for the kids to play at the shoreside and they love playing in the sand. i always bring snacks too as they have picnic areas all over the place. all in all a great place for swimming with the fam

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have had the opportunity to visit a lot of the Maryland Sate Parks over my years. My destination of choice is definetly Rocky Gap. Just 90 minutes from Frederick MD, this park offers everything you might need. Located adjacent to the Rocky Gap Resort there is something for everyone. Lake Habib offers fishing, hiking. mountain biking, swimming(in season), and other water sports. The campground where we stay has everything a camper needs. Bath houses have been upgraded to include running water, flush toilets, and Hot showers. The camp sites are improved with fire grates and level pads. Cabins are available and electrical hookups are on some sites.

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We like camping here with young kids and friends. Nothing better than sitting around the fire at night! In the summer, Cumberland tries really hard to have events every weekend (bands, festivals, shows) - specifically for families.

Camping: clean tent spots, and cabins. Bathrooms very good and accessible. Rangers come by to check on things (but also to manage or minimize the environmental damage that us campers can cause!).

Lake: you can walk down from the campground and there is a nice sandy beach. Small but enough - can rent canoes!

Other things to do: biking, hiking, running (there is a challenging xc trail that goes around the lake, 5 miles). A small bird sanctuary, Golden Bear golf course, and old cemetery.

All in all a good getaway for a few days in a low-key environment.

1  Thank Pannipannini
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My first trip to Rocky Gap was last weekend, over the long Columbus Day weekend. My friend and I rented cabin #232 in the Hickory Loop. What a great park and even greater cabin! I thought the park was very clean, well maintained and the bathrooms were some of the best I have seen in a State Park setting. Our cabin site was secluded and it didn't feel like anyone was camping on top of us. The cabin, although primitive (no bathroom, no heat) was very clean and cozy. We did a few hikes over the weekend and I thought the trails were very well marked and well maintained. All in all, a great park and I will definitely be back next year to see the fall colors again!

2  Thank abk1234

Been to Rocky Gap State Park? Share your experiences!