“Beautiful Park”

Rocky Gap State Park
Ranked #3 of 38 things to do in Cumberland
More attraction details
Owner description: Park that offers swimming beaches, campsites and boat rentals.
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Went on an annual camping trip & stayed at Rocky Gap. The area is beautiful, the park was great. The sites are large enough where you feel you have privacy & not on top of the next campers. The beach, lake, fishing, and playground ensure that everyone has a great time, even Fido.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I travel often and love to camp at local State Parks instead of staying in a hotel. Rocky Gap met all of my requirements: a park that is dog-friendly, offers a bathhouse, and has good sites to choose from. Online, the park shows you photos of EVERY camp site so you know what you're getting (this was a great feature). Also, the sites are far enough apart that you feel like you're camping while still having the luxury of showers and drinking water. The hiking trails were well managed and each unique - example: lakeside trail, rocky trail, and a mountain trail with a steep incline! My only complaint is that the park map could use more detail (we found ourselves back-tracking to try and find certain trails).

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our family had rented 5 adjoining sites every Labor Day weekend for the past 12 years. This is our favorite Maryland State Park. The camping sites are spaced far enough away from each other that each site has privacy. We stay on the D (Dogwood) Loop which is one of several dog friendly loops. It's an easy walk to the private-campground only beach which has swimming on a protected beach, canoe/rowboat rentals, a well equipped store, laundry, snack bar (weekends) and nature center which hosts activities. The volunteer corps offers many activities on Labor Day weekend including an ice cream social, karaoke, pancake breakfast and corn roast. We have made lifelong friends with the camp hosts, who greet us warmly, even though we only see them once a year. In addition to the camping, there are hiking trails, a separate day use beach and picnic area as well as access to golfing at the Rocky Gap Lodge. Great times!

2  Thank SheilaMcc
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I travel alot and like to camp. we found this park one of the most beautiful parks we have ever seen.. we will be back

2  Thank sugarandspice5661
Reviewed August 19, 2012

By far the best campgrounds I have ever visited.The lake is crystal clear and warm. Very clean, spacious and far apart. No worries of being up all night at the sound of your neighbors snoring. Tons of space for parking more than one vehicle at a time. Private beach for campers only is a plus. Camp store cheaper than the BP off of 68 so no need to leave the campgrounds. My son loved it!!! He wants to go back next week. If I didn't have to work in Ohio I would totally have stayed longer. Very quiet in the evening just the way you want it while on vacation. I didn't see any late night drinking or hippies in drum circles our whole stay at this location. Very nice!!!

2  Thank Shaun P

Been to Rocky Gap State Park? Share your experiences!