“Buyer beware”
Review of The Crab Place

The Crab Place
Ranked #4 of 26 Restaurants in Crisfield
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Largest Online Seafood Store and Best Place on Marylands EasternShore to get seafood !
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I completely agree with the other poster who was complaining about their mail order business and policies. I have had a terrible experience with their COO in handling a problem I encountered with their web site. I ordered one set of crab cakes via the web site before Christmas. The web site was having all sorts of issues. I eventually found out that apparently they charged my credit card three times - even though I only received one email confirmation! They are now claiming that I placed three orders. But, somehow they knew to reverse one of these (but not both erroneous charges). Net result is that I have been charged twice for one order. They did send two orders - but it was a gift - and they are saying they won't refund unless items are returned. Return perishable crab cakes? Are you kidding me? The web site says 100% guaranteed. They are definitely not living up to that. This is a business that is NOT qualified to sell online. To make it worse the COO is treating me like I am some sort of criminal trying to cheat them. Unbelievable!

10  Thank LebaRJ81

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Surprisingly excellent blue crabs---the best of the season for us! The menu was limited but certainly offered enough shell fish to make us happy!

2  Thank tmm100
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Buyer beware.
Crab Place insists that their refund policies are carefully posted - and their website is professional and organized - but you won't find these disclaimers very easily. And you may end up in our shoes if your crabs don't have the strength for a normal fedex next-day shipping route.

We ordered crabs for a saturday delivery, and we were ready to eat with a nice group of people when they arrived in a Styrofoam box. We opened the box within 1/2 hour of the noon delivery, and it was nice and cool inside. But the crabs weren't moving. After about 25 minutes of inspection, we learned that of the 33 crabs in the box, 22 of them - 65% - were just plain dead. And the ones that were alive were zombies. Suffice it to say that the meal was ruined. And we also felt awful for shipping these crabs that obviously couldn't survive the trip, and were now in-edible. When I ordered the live crabs on crab place, I used a $150 birthday gift certificate. I had to supplement it with around the same amount of $$ to assure I'd receive around 40 live crabs (1/2 bushel plus a dozen). Now that I think of it, we had actually only received 34, and while the large size was a true large, it was still 6 short of our anticipated order (no small amount of $$). Oh, and did I mention that the Saturday fedex delivery was 85$??

Ok, so we ate the 11 that survived.

Matt Cain was very friendly to me when I explained the mortality. Unfortunately, Crab Place's website puts their refund policies in an odd "FAQ" section, rather than posting them as significant disclaimers. It took me a while to find them this morning after Matt and I got off the phone. By the time our call was done, Matt was insisting calmly over and over that we should have read their policy, and my wife was livid in a way I've never seen. So if you are as unfortunate as we are, and your party doesn't happen because 65% of your dinner died en route, Matt may simply offer to refund a portion of your order with store credit, and will not assist with the re-shipping of another order in any way, or really make you feel that you really matter beyond his bank account..

We feel that Crab Place is wrong to wait until their sorry customers complain to let them know that they should have read an "obvious" disclaimer which is almost impossible to find. We ended up going out for Pizza, and we feel that Matt's offer to provide store credit for the 1/2 bushel does not help us to recoup the money that they took from our credit card at what must be a pretty large margin of profit. What to do???

13  Thank PearlHolstein
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place might be ok as a bar but it smelled terrible (bad fish) and the food was mediocre. It also didn't appear clean. I think they are mainly a fish market that decided to expand. Maybe ok as a market but not sure.

4  Thank Vicki_conner
Reviewed September 2, 2012

While unfortunately this restaurant doesn't come with a view of the water, it is pleasant enough. We chose to sit one very hot July night in their screened in outdoor dining area. The fans kept the air moving and we were quite surprised we were so comfortable. Our server was very, very nice and very, very attentive. We received excellent service. We are a group of 3 who love to pick steamed crabs. These are the BEST, without a doubt, steamed crabs. They came to us hot from the kitchen, cooked just to the right point so they were moist and not one ever dry. The seasoning was just perfect - not too much, not too little. And best of all, the crabs were "heavy" and just full of luscious meat. I was born and raised on the Eastern Shore and I know good crabs. These are the real deal. This restaurant is new this summer. The owner has had a seafood business for years and decided to open a restaurant. I do hope it succeeds as Crisfield needs a good restaurant.

1  Thank dee240