“Snowed In”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Snowed In”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I recently visted the area and stayed at the Sheraton Columbia. Check in was fast and easy. My room was clean and well maintained and each staff member that I passed in the hall greeted me with a smile and a hello. I ordered room service twice, both times I was happy with the quality and taste of the food and the delivery was fast and professional. I had trouble getting on the internet and the front desk staff stayed on the phone with me until I was online. Because my stay was extended because of the snow, I ran out of some personal items which housekeeping quickly supplied me with. When I checked out, I was surprised to see that the outside walkway had been shoveled and salted so I could safely make it to my car. A member of the engineering staff even helped me clean the snow off of my car--True 5 star service!!.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the water....it is lovely
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your great review, 5-Stars, of the property and our team. We were all happy to be hear and servce our guests through the snow storm and enjoyed getting to meet everybody. I will pass along your comments to our Chief Engineer about the assistance you received - that is wonderful to hear. Again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The staff at Sheraton-Columbia are always professional and friendly. The service I received on my last stay was excellent. The rooms are always clean. I highly recommend staying at the Sheraton in Columbia. The location is convenient and the price is within my budget.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the 5-Star review. We are glad that we have met and exceeded your expectations and look forward to your return visit. I will be sure to meet with the housekeeping team and tell them about this review and your comments on the property cleanliness.
Hyattsville, Maryland
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on New Years day and had a lovely experience. The staff was warm and friendly, especially the bartender Chris :) The room was very nice, however I felt it could have been just a little bit clearly, but I'm a bit of a germaphobe. We had lunch in the restaurant the next day which was had a beautiful view of the lake and the food was delicious. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from a great mall, various restaurants and entertainment which added to our weekend getaway. I would definitely return to this property in the near future.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your New Years eve with us. I agree the porperty is in a wonderful location and we are fortunate to have some excellent associates - I will be sure to thank Chris for delivering great service. We all look forward to your return and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any future service - my email is joe.giannino@sheratoncolumbia.com
Pasadena, California
Reviewed February 10, 2014

From the time that I arrived to the hotel from the time that I left, everything was perfect. The front desk was very friendly and accommdated all of my requests. I was attending a meeting and the banquet staff was top notch as well as the food. Lots of healthy options on the buffet which was also a plus. The Waterside Grill was great...a wonderful view of the lake. I stayed in a lodge room and absolutely loved the room...the room was very spacious, it had a microwave, coffee pot and fridge....how perfect, would be great for a long term stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a lodge room...they overlook the lake and the pool...very spacious!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review and comments about the property. I will certainly pass along to the associates. I agree that we have wonderful views and a top notch banquet team - I am very happy you enjoyed your stay.
Please let us know if there is anything further we can do and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel. I had stayed there previously over 10 years ago. My overall assessment on this occasion was that I found the property "tired." It had the feel of an aging facility. On the positive side, the service was good and the facilities provided for the conference I was attending on site were very adequate for our needs. The food provided for the attendees at the conference was also of a very good quality and standard and this was noteworthy in view of the fact that we were mostly vegetarians. Another positive was that there is a very well equipped gym for those who are kken to get their exercise. At the time I was there, it was too cold to venture outside for exercise and the gym was very well utilised. A major negative for those who attend a conference at the venue is that you can find yourself in a section of the hotel that involves considerable walking to get from your room to the conference rooms. The hotel has a multi-story block as well as a 3-story block which extends for several hundred yards at the side of the multi-story block. If you find yourself in the 3-story block be prepared to walk quite a bit to get from your room to the facilities of the hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in the multi-story block.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for the feedback on the property. We are looking forward to a full property renovation in 2015 and like you I am anxious to have completed. I was glad to hear you enjoyed your meetings and food at the property - we enjoyed having your group and hope you will be returning.
I will make a note in your reservation history for future stays that you do not prefer the Lodge section of the property.
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The hotel was nice but my gripe is with Sheraton itself for this water scam they pull.

They leave 2 bottles of water out on the table with a slip on it that says complimentary water. After drinking the water in VERY small print i see. "water free for Sheraton club guests" Oh oh well how much could that be $2.00... NO FIVE.

We also had a problem with our credit card at the restaurant. We payed with a gift card and a credit card. The gentleman (the manager) spoke NO English and tried to charge $200 to the gift card(gift card was for 100). When he couldn't figure it out he just charged the whole $200 to the credit card.. later in the day i found out he did this and had to spend 45 minutes getting it resolved ultimately missing half of the event i was in town to see in the first place.

Nice hotel, not a good experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John S
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review - we have already spoken on the phone and resolved the issue with the Gift Card; we are very sorry for this inconvenience.
The water tags are clearly marked which our complimentary and which have a fee - I will share your input to see if there is a better way to communicate the offering.
Ocala, United States
Reviewed November 26, 2013

For the price that we were charged this hotel has much too much deferred maintenance. The room was full of dust, dirty walls, waste paper left on the floor, glass top tables were smeared, tub did not drain, and cob webs on the ceilings. There were stains on some of the upholstered furniture. The exterior of the building had rotten wood trim and some of the exterior doors were missing trim and needed painting. All this would be acceptable at a Summer Camp but not at a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms should be avoided at all costs.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark B
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for outlining some of the opportunities at the porperty - I did have a chance to answer your review on our company website. We certainly want to be able to address the issues you pointed out and will continue to make improvments to the property.