New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Frederick, Maryland
“Nice staff and rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed here after going to a wedding out of town and was impressed overall. The staff was friendly and the rooms were fairly clean. I found one hair on my bedspread, but that can easily happen in the wash. The sheets were clean and there was even a post-it note that said the bedspread was washed upon arrival. The bed was super comfy.The only disappointment was the breakfast wasn't very tasty--warm food, not just cereal, but kind-of gross. But hey, can't complain about free food!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Spent the night here this past weekend for a nearby friend's birthday party. The location is very convenient to lots of shopping and nearby restaurants. The room was large and clean, and the bathroom was also quite clean as well. Staff was friendly, which I appreciated after a long drive. Despite being so close to several busy highways, the noise from outside was almost impossible to hear, despite our room facing the highway. Overall, a nice stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Phil R
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I recently spent a single weekend night here and found it perfectly acceptable. Looks like there are plenty of options available, so that may account for what I found to be a terrific rate, around $71, probably AAA. It was quite near a main road, but I faced the inner courtyard of the hotel so I don’t know if there’s any noticeable noise nearby. Front desk staff were pleasant, very casual, including wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, which I find unusual for a Marriott property. I guess I never really noticed but I woudl assume there's a uniform(?). I though the rooms were comfortable, a pretty exact replica of a courtyard I just stayed in thanksgiving week in another state. It also has an open lobby restaurant area which is apparently the new style for courtyards, with a little market to pick up snacks and sodas which I find convenient. The restaurant/bar appears to have limited hours, so I’d suggest asking about them. I didn’t try the breakfast, Courtyards don’t provide anything for golds. There is a grocery store (Wegmans) very close by and quite a few fast food options as well as tons of other dining around. Pool was closed – recommend checking on this if booking as I think it just happened to come up on conversation and for some that could be a deal breaker. Parking is free. I have no problem going back here or recommending it, I just don’t know that it’s the best in an area that appears to have a lot of lodging options.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank Ms.Travels
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

The Courtyard Marriott in Columbia Maryland is centrally located for doing business at any number of the business parks in the area. It is 20 minutes from the BWI Airport and is located at the end of short road and surrounded by trees providing a very quiet setting. The staff was friendly, check in seamless and the amenities adequate for a short stay. There are many restaurants withing five minutes of the facility or you can avail yourself to the Bistro in the lobby. The prices were competitive and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ColumbiaCourtyardMD, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Hi ColonelBangkok! Thanks for taking time to share this feedback on your most recent stay. I was very happy to hear that not only was the location convenient for BWI and visiting restaurants, but that also our own Bistro and staff at the hotel enhanced the stay. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!

Southern NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

We just moved our daughter to Columbia, and we will be going there to visit her. This time, we booked a room at the Courtyard by Marriott.

The hotel was in a good location, not a noisy highway situation. The room was large enough and very clean and seemed newly decorated. It had a microwave and small refrigerator. The bed was comforatable.

Staff was friendly, and the lobby seemed fine. The price for the room was fine. Yes, I know it doesn't include breakfast, but the other hotels that included breakfast were much more expensive, making that breakfast one heck of an expensive meal.

They were able to honor my request for a higher floor and some extra pillows.

So why do I think we probably will not book this hotel again when we visit our daughter? We were given a room on the third floor almost directly across from an incredibly loud ice machine and the elevator. We asked for a different room. Yes, it was a longer walk down the hall, but at least the ice machine wasn't so loud.

However, the air-conditioning unit in our room was so loud. It woke us both up in the middle of the night, and I had a hard time falling asleep again. I am not a light sleeper, nor is my husband, and we do not have this kind of problem in other motels/hotels. For both of us, that noisy a/c unit was pretty much of a deal-breaker in terms of coming back.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't put you by the ice-maker!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ColumbiaCourtyardMD, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Hi GreenUnicorn,
Thanks for staying with us and taking time to share this feedback. I was happy to hear your observations on the cleanliness of the hotel as this has always been a top focus. On the other hand it sounds like we have an aircondioning unit to evaluate. If you have an opportunity, please reach out to me directly to ensure we address the airconditioning unit if it hasnt already been handled. We just finished replacing all of the guest room airconditioners this year, so at this point they should be in Great condition. Thanks again for your feed back and feel free to reach out to me directly if back in the area...
Warm Regards,
Wardell, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

The service was perfect, staff was friendly, and the motel was very clean and accommodating. The court yard was very nice and relaxing. The rooms weren't small and were also very clean. The bed slept very comfortable. Very enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ColumbiaCourtyardMD, General Manager at Courtyard Columbia, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hi Jackie S, Thanks for taking time to share this experience during your recent trip to Courtyard Columbia! Happy to hear you found time to relax in the wonderful coourtyard. The weather really gets nice this time of year and it will be a popular area. Hope to see you back again soon...
Regards,
Scituate, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We just didn't love this place. It's old and it shows. The room was very small. The slider to our room was ancient and difficult to open and close. The pool was gross. I think all hotels should have a complimentary continental breakfast, and this does not.

The woman who greeted us upon arrival was very very nice and personable. But I had to go to the front desk to ask for more toiletries because the ones in our room were used! A different person who was on at that time seemed put out by my request. She looked at me like she wanted to know what was wrong with what I had. I volunteered they were used.

The hotel is convenient to the airport, but it is tucked away in a confusing office park with poor signage.

We got a good rate but at the end of the day, it wasn't a good value. This isn't a place we would recommend or stay at again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HappyTravelersfromMA
Hello HappytravelrsfromMA, Thank you for taking time to share this experience. I am saddened that we did not execute to our expectations of how your stay should have gone. It sounded like there were a few opportunities we can work on and these will be shared with our team to ensure they do not repeat. If you have an opportunity, please reach out to me so I can ensure specific detail mentioned are tended to as well. This is not the norm for our guest experiences and we hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to show you a Great Stay!
All the Best,