All reviewsdouble treecookiesfront deskgreat hotelrestaurant staffshuttle servicetucked awaybreakfast buffetfitness centerbusiness tripbed was very comfortablelobbymdatriumwalgreensweddingconcert
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Bed was comfy, room was a bit small for the price.
Skip the restaurant buffet, it's not worth it.
Bottom line, I would not stay here again unless, like this time, I were attending a function at the hotel. It is out of the way and not well connected, the only way to get into the city was to take a $60 cab ride to a metro station on the north side of DC

A friend had her wedding in the area and the reception and accommodations were at the Hilton Columbia. The place is nice, set back in a little business park. We stayed on a room on the outside of the hotel (as opposed to one on the inside where the windows face the atrium of the hotel where there are functions often). The bed was great and the room was small but comfortable.
The brunch buffet at the restaurant was certainly NOT worth $25. They had oysters on the half-shell and cocktail shrimp, both of which were not fresh and tasted terrible, I mean, seriously the absolute worst shrimp or oysters I have every had. So if you're thinking of doing the buffet for that, which I was, skip it! The rest of the food was definitely decent but unless you can eat a pound of smoked salmon and cream cheese, it is not worth 25 bucks.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank herrVebah
Reviewed September 8, 2008

My wife and I had a very pleasant five night stay at the Hilton there in beautiful Columbia. The hotel is tucked away in a wooded area that is peaceful. Early morning swim meant no one else was in the clean and well chorinated pool. Early morning buffet was extensive and tasty;and I must say that the waiters were exceptional in their attentiveness and caring for us each morning. I noticed an air of friendliness among all of the staff with each person saying hello and wishing us a good day. That piece of kindness was a noticeable bonus of our entire stay.

Our suite was spacious and well appointed. Having been a frequent hotel visitor, I always notice bathrooms and housekeeping details. This hotel provided clean and well kept bathrooms and the rooms also were cleaned nicely each day.

We will return for sure.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ron0807
Reviewed August 31, 2008

This hotel is fine and is located in a quiet area (which also means there's not much to do in the immediate area). The hotel smelled kind of old and musty, and it was interesting that we had a window that looked in to the center of the hotel/courtyard. A major flaw was that there was significant mold around the toilet in our room (on the floor where the toilet attaches). If someone were to stay in that room that has serious negative affects from mold, that would be bad. Other than that, the room seemed clean.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2008

After reading the reviews on this site, I was a bit uncertain that this would be the place for our family for 5 nights. I'm happy to report that we had a good stay.

The front desk staff were helpful each time we had a request or question. The restaurant servers went out of their way to make sure our meals were pleasant and our food was delicious. The kids enjoyed the indoor pool, while we enjoyed the morning paper.

I don't know if there's been a recent change at this hotel or what, but gauging from our stay, the previous reviews just don't stand up. The one thing that was slightly annoying was our neighbor's cell phone alarm went off every five minutes for half an hour on the last morning. I attribute that annoyance more to the neighbor than the hotel, though.

We look forward to coming back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Me_and_the_girls
Reviewed August 8, 2008

This was the 4th time I've stayed at this hotel - the first time in about two years and every time I get there I've always hoped that the things wrong with the property will get fixed.

But some of it really can't be fixed as they are mechanical issues inherent with the design of the hotel itself. This property is laid out as a donut - every floor has rooms on both sides of the corridor but the rooms on the inside of the circle overlook the atrium. The difference between this and, say, an Embasssy Suites is that it's the bedroom window that faces into the atrium - there is no porch. If there is a function going on you can't help but hear all of it.

The restaurant is sad - it really needs a do-over. The elevators are loud with the doors slamming shut.

The most vexing problem I have with this property is that the walls are so damn thin. The gent in the room next to me was clearly from Europe as I could hear every single word of his phone calls to the home office - this at 4AM. The patron of the room one floor up must have had a bad burrito as I heard the lavatory flush every twenty minutes -- all night long.

In my opinion, this place isn't up to being called a Hilton. I checked out a day early; chances of my staying there again are Nil.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business