“for business this hotel is okay--for leisure, skip it”

DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed August 31, 2008

This hotel is fine and is located in a quiet area (which also means there's not much to do in the immediate area). The hotel smelled kind of old and musty, and it was interesting that we had a window that looked in to the center of the hotel/courtyard. A major flaw was that there was significant mold around the toilet in our room (on the floor where the toilet attaches). If someone were to stay in that room that has serious negative affects from mold, that would be bad. Other than that, the room seemed clean.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed August 25, 2008

After reading the reviews on this site, I was a bit uncertain that this would be the place for our family for 5 nights. I'm happy to report that we had a good stay.

The front desk staff were helpful each time we had a request or question. The restaurant servers went out of their way to make sure our meals were pleasant and our food was delicious. The kids enjoyed the indoor pool, while we enjoyed the morning paper.

I don't know if there's been a recent change at this hotel or what, but gauging from our stay, the previous reviews just don't stand up. The one thing that was slightly annoying was our neighbor's cell phone alarm went off every five minutes for half an hour on the last morning. I attribute that annoyance more to the neighbor than the hotel, though.

We look forward to coming back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Me_and_the_girls
Reviewed August 8, 2008

This was the 4th time I've stayed at this hotel - the first time in about two years and every time I get there I've always hoped that the things wrong with the property will get fixed.

But some of it really can't be fixed as they are mechanical issues inherent with the design of the hotel itself. This property is laid out as a donut - every floor has rooms on both sides of the corridor but the rooms on the inside of the circle overlook the atrium. The difference between this and, say, an Embasssy Suites is that it's the bedroom window that faces into the atrium - there is no porch. If there is a function going on you can't help but hear all of it.

The restaurant is sad - it really needs a do-over. The elevators are loud with the doors slamming shut.

The most vexing problem I have with this property is that the walls are so damn thin. The gent in the room next to me was clearly from Europe as I could hear every single word of his phone calls to the home office - this at 4AM. The patron of the room one floor up must have had a bad burrito as I heard the lavatory flush every twenty minutes -- all night long.

In my opinion, this place isn't up to being called a Hilton. I checked out a day early; chances of my staying there again are Nil.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank I-heart-Travel
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Maybe because I am a Hilton Diamond vip member I have a really great room.Very clean and the housekeeping was great.The location is easy to find and the lobby is beautiful and everyone at the front desk are the best and very knowlegable and helpful'I am here 10 days on business.Reading the reviews I almost didn't choose this hotel but decided to try it any way.They have a restaurant the food is good but service is slow because they have meetings and other events going on but their are numerous restaurants close by.I received coupons for breakfast but if you have to pay for the buffet it isn't worth $14,00.I would definitely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2008

Right from the start I should've known we were in trouble! When I asked for additional pillows to be sent to my room, they sent them to the wrong room! Apparently, we were given keys to one, but we were registered in another. Fast forward to the next morning.....after finding out the discrepancy, they said pillows would be sent to the correct room. Upon returning after our day's outing, not only did we not have the pillows, but our room was not serviced! Garbage still in the cans, beds unmade (no duvet covers on the feather beds.........we were covered in feathers), no clean linen in the bathroom! We immediately called for new towels and those darn pillows, but by the time it came, our showers were over. There was no offer to send anyone up to clean the room. I had requested a non-smoking room and was sure that's what we got since there were no ashtrays in our room, but when it came time to go to bed at 10 pm., our neighbors apparently had a smoking room, as they lit up and indulged for the next 3 hours as we tried to sleep. Along with the smell of smoke, came their entire conversation as the walls were so thin and the adjoining door had so much space under it. Yikes! Get me home!! The price was right, but as the old saying goes..."You get what you pay for." Find another place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank JerseyJanet
Reviewed July 5, 2008

First of all, I will say that I did not choose this hotel, other members of my party did. With that said, I really did not know what to expect from this hotel. The photos didn't make it look all that great, but I typically think of Hilton as being a decent place to say. Well, I am currently in my hotel room right now (utilizing the complimentary wireless internet) and I am bearing through a strange stench in the room. It's almost as though I am sitting in a college boy's dormitory that is never aired out or cleaned correctly. Granted, I'm sure that I could have asked for another room, but at the time, I didn't really think it would be necessary. I may have solved part of the problem by keeping the bathroom door shut, where it seems to be the worst. Another issue is the obvious look of rushed cleaning. The towels are folded and hung in a messy fashion (but they are probably clean). The beds are made alright, but the bed skirt is uneven, which could easily been fixed if they had spent an extra thirty seconds in the room.

There are some other things that have bothered me so far, but that's just me being picky. It really is an okay hotel if you are just stopping for a night while driving through. I do not recommend this place as a vacation spot though.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2008

The fact that I just checked in last night and I'm already about to check out of this place should tell you enough. I must say that upon checking in last night, the desk clerks were very polite and pleasant. I've never stayed at a Hilton before, and was told that my complimentary breakfast opened at 0630. Well long story short, first off, you have to pay for everything. Want a refrigerator? Gotta pay. Want a microwave? Gotta pay. Want that water they left for you on top of the tv stand? Gotta pay. Then this morning, I go to the restaurant downstairs where I was waited on excellently by the restaurant staff for my breakfast buffet. But as I am about to leave, they ask for my Hilton Rewards member #, to which I am not a member. As I explain to them that I was informed during check-in that I am allowed complimentary breakfast during my stay, they call the front desk and inform me that since I am not a rewards member, I am not authorized complimentary breakfast and must pay....of course! So I go to the front desk where I am told the same thing....only in a more rude manner. From this individual, I basically got the attitude that since I am not a rewards member, I get nothing; no special treatment or anything. So unless you are a Hilton's rewards member or whatever they call it, I would not recommend this place to anyone! I've stayed in hotels for half this price, that even came with full kitchens. Just plain ridiculous in my opinion.

Stayed: April 2008