“Ugh.”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Detroit, Michigan
“Ugh.”
Reviewed July 5, 2008

First of all, I will say that I did not choose this hotel, other members of my party did. With that said, I really did not know what to expect from this hotel. The photos didn't make it look all that great, but I typically think of Hilton as being a decent place to say. Well, I am currently in my hotel room right now (utilizing the complimentary wireless internet) and I am bearing through a strange stench in the room. It's almost as though I am sitting in a college boy's dormitory that is never aired out or cleaned correctly. Granted, I'm sure that I could have asked for another room, but at the time, I didn't really think it would be necessary. I may have solved part of the problem by keeping the bathroom door shut, where it seems to be the worst. Another issue is the obvious look of rushed cleaning. The towels are folded and hung in a messy fashion (but they are probably clean). The beds are made alright, but the bed skirt is uneven, which could easily been fixed if they had spent an extra thirty seconds in the room.

There are some other things that have bothered me so far, but that's just me being picky. It really is an okay hotel if you are just stopping for a night while driving through. I do not recommend this place as a vacation spot though.

• Liked — It is close to Toby's Dinner Theatre.
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything. Sorry.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Baltimore
Reviewed April 15, 2008

The fact that I just checked in last night and I'm already about to check out of this place should tell you enough. I must say that upon checking in last night, the desk clerks were very polite and pleasant. I've never stayed at a Hilton before, and was told that my complimentary breakfast opened at 0630. Well long story short, first off, you have to pay for everything. Want a refrigerator? Gotta pay. Want a microwave? Gotta pay. Want that water they left for you on top of the tv stand? Gotta pay. Then this morning, I go to the restaurant downstairs where I was waited on excellently by the restaurant staff for my breakfast buffet. But as I am about to leave, they ask for my Hilton Rewards member #, to which I am not a member. As I explain to them that I was informed during check-in that I am allowed complimentary breakfast during my stay, they call the front desk and inform me that since I am not a rewards member, I am not authorized complimentary breakfast and must pay....of course! So I go to the front desk where I am told the same thing....only in a more rude manner. From this individual, I basically got the attitude that since I am not a rewards member, I get nothing; no special treatment or anything. So unless you are a Hilton's rewards member or whatever they call it, I would not recommend this place to anyone! I've stayed in hotels for half this price, that even came with full kitchens. Just plain ridiculous in my opinion.

Stayed April 2008
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed December 3, 2007

This hotel seems to have some problems with the HVAC system. We set our thermostat to 55 degrees, but the temperature never dipped below 80. The front desk was aware of the issue but made no effort to resolve short of offering to refund a portion of our money. Also, the hotel is very understaffed meaning that you'll likely wait for a long time for check-in or for them to answer your concerns.
Also, if you're looking for a quiet stay for business or pleasure, look elsewhere. The hotel was mobbed with kids between the ages of 8 and 16 screaming and running through the hallways, jamming the elevators and partying in the pool area.
I wouldn't stay here again. There are a number of better choices in the immediate vicinity.

• Liked — Free parking
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cllgstdva
TN
Reviewed October 1, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hilton Columbia and was very disappointed. We have stayed at numerous Hilton Hotels and exected this one to be at least comparable, but it was not.

First, the bathroom was extremely small. The door either had to be open or closed. There was no in between because the bathroom door would hit you on the knee if you sat on the toliet. Two people could not even be in the bathroom at the same time because there was no room. There were long black hairs in the tub, on the floor, and in the sink. There was even a hair on top of the coffee maker.

Second, there were never any wash cloths available. My husband and I do not like maids in our rooms so we would always give them our towels and wash clothes, but they never had any wash clothes to give us. We had to go to the desk clerk to get them and that was a story in its self...the desk was extremely chaotic during our stay.

Third, and the most annoying, they had two luggage buggies for the whole hotel. When we checked out my husband had to take make five trips to the car. The 6th time I refused to let him carry anymore. We requested help and the person helping us had the nerve to expect a tip! Here is a tip get some more buggies.

Finally, there was light streaming in from the 2 inch gap underneath the door to the hallway. It lit up the whole room.

I would never stay or recommend the Hilton Columbia. This hotel is one of the worst Hiltons I have ever stayed at. I recently stayed at a Hampton Inn which is also owned by Hilton and it was by far a much better place to stay.

My advise...skip the Hilton Columbia.

• Liked — The location was quiet
  • Disliked — Everything except the location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KLSC2
dante80
Reviewed September 1, 2007

I'm at Columbia, MD for work. The only reason I stayed here after reading the reviews is that the other Hilton Brands (Hampton Inn, Garden Inn and Homewood) were sold out. The hotel staff is decent, but seriously not the brightest. I asked for a replacement hair-dryer and she had to ask five questions to know that I wanted it replaced.
The hotel is a bit run-down and tired looking. Trust me, I've been to many Hilton hotels this year and this is not up to their standards. The hair-dryer and iron is broken or pieces were missing. The gym only has cardio-vascular machines, no weights at all. The machines don't look like they are cleaned on a regular-basis. The location is not half bad; it's a bit hidden away from the city which I like. There is a pool and sauna, which I didn't really use. One of the only positive is the breakfast at the restaurant which is free since I have Diamond status. I would suggest to go anywhere else if it is available.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Danny J
jpete76
Reviewed July 3, 2007

After booking through Priceline, I read the reviews most recently posted here. I am not sure where they were staying or what they expected but our stay was superb. The staff, in my opinion, are the best I have dealt with in recent years, throughout my travels. Some of the rooms were a bit small but overall this Hilton far exceeded my expectations (due largely to the reviews posted). Which reaffirms an old adage: "Don't believe everything you read".
I will return to Columbia at least 3 more times this year and 6 next, I intend to stay at this Hilton provided nothing changes on subsequent visits. Thank you for an excellent weekend.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank jpete76
VA
Reviewed March 5, 2007

Web site stated they had renovated in 2003. No evidence of that other than perhaps some new carpet. The hotel shows it age and has not aged gracefully. Front desk was manned by one person who sat on the phone for 3-4 minutes while I waited for him to check me in. No room upgrade for Diamond status although the hotel appears pretty empty. Room smells musty/moldy, stains on carpet and an overall feel of a motel 6. They do have free wireless Internet - which I guess is the consolation prize for spending $170/night on a $50/night room.

Overall - there has to be a better value: I'm checking out early and moving to the BWI Hilton tomorrow night. There is no need to put up with a 3rd rate Hilton property - there is just too much to choose from around here.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business