“Nice Stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed here five nights while attending some meetings. Had heard "so so" reviews from colleagues but I had not complaints. Hotel has been rennovated so probably a key reason for feeling good about our stay. Felt staff was friendly and accommodating. Our room and entire hotel was very clean. Room size and ammenities were well above average. I appreciated that the TV could be turned so it could be viewed from the room's desk. Hotel was a little pricey, but neither am I accustomed to costs in this area. A continental breakfast would have made me feel a little better about cost. Hotel has pool and hot tub, but I didn't use them. There was a restaurant in the motel but I did not use it. There were lots of restaurants within a mile our two.

I appreciated the secluded location. Close to things, but still tucked away. I would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gary B
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Fantastic stay at the Double Tree! The staff were all very friendly and courteous (especially BARRY!). The room was modern and beautiful. And the warm cookies... my god, the cookies... Thanks for a great time!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sheena C
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

A+ all the way. Super clean! Friendly and helpful. Kids loved the warm cookies upon arrival. I enjoy a free morning paper delivery. I've stayed in a lot of places but this was by far the cleanest. Good value and convenient location. Was only there for 1her night passing through but would definetly stop again. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank ssdietz
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Clean, clean, CLEAN! Spacious room, cozy bed, conveniently located. Delicious hot breakfast buffet. Special thanks to LES MORRIS, who graciously and generously resolved a problem. Special thanks also to ANGELA and MARIA in the restaurant, who were kind, attentive and careful to attend my dietary allergies. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: room 420, top floor at end of hall was quiet and private
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lenapotato
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I were traveling to the Columbia Area for a funeral service of a close family member. After looking on Trip Advisor we found the Doubletree and being so close to our families home we thought we would give them a try.

On the way up from Savannah we called the hotel and informed Barry at the front desk we were on our way up for the funeral a day early and were wondering if we could add an extra day to our reservation, within two minutes we had our new confirmation sent to our email.

Upon arriving at the hotel we were pleasantly surprised, the outside of the building looks a bit dated, but the newly renovated lobby was absolutely gorgeous. The very modern look gave the hotel a more sophisticated look. At check in we were welcomed by Marie, she expressed her sympathies for our loss and told us if there was anything we needed to let her know. I was very surprised by this because we just mentioned it in passing to Barry over the phone. As we entered our room we were welcomed by two chocolates on the bed, the sound of classical music playing from the radio, and a hand written card of condolences from the Doubletree Staff and a tin of their famous cookies.

During our stay, every single staff member from the housekeeping staff, to the front desk staff, to the restaurant staff that we encountered made us feel welcome and at home. The overall service, the quality of the rooms and the atmosphere of the hotel was outstanding. The Doubletree made a weekend that normally would be very difficult, more manageable. I highly recommend the Doubletree.

Room Tip: The rooms that overlook the atrium have no natural light and after sunset the room is very dim.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We were in town for a concert, and had booked this hotel for a great price! Front desk clerk, Maire, was very friendly and helpful upon arrival! The warm cookie given to us at check-in was very good! Upon entering our King room, there was classical music playing, and the decor is "wow!" It's classy and executive feeling! And, most, importantly, CLEAN!! Very pleased!!

The only thing we had a problem with is the shuttle service to the nearby concert. They encourage it, so we signed up. We were told 11:00 pm is the final pick up time after the concert. Before signing up, we asked if it would still pick us up, if the concert didn't let out in time. We were told to call if that happened, and that we wouldn't be stranded. The driver told us 10:45 he would be at the stop. We told him, that there were a lot of people to be picked up, and he said he would make as many trips as needed to get us all back. Well, the concert wasn't over til 10:45. We were the first 2 at the stop, around 10:52pm. Then, at least 30 more people showed up. However, the driver never came!! Apparantly he didn't see anyone at 10:45, left, clocked out, and went home, leaving 30 to 40 people on a street corner for an hour, trying to call taxis!

If you drop off a certain number of people to a concert, you should bring that many people back, not zero people! And, if the hotel offers a shuttle service, then, the shuttle needs to be available for whenever a concert is over! No one wants to leave a concert before the encore!!

Bottom line, Excellent hotel!!! I would stay there again in a heartbeat, I just wouldn't trust the shuttle again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gary_Gustafson, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

I want to thank you for your kind words about our newly renovated hotel. We are proud of the way it turned out and are very happy you feel the same way. I want to apologize for the way we ran our shuttle service on the night you stayed. We made a mistake and we feel bad about it. We normally run our shuttle until 1 hour after concerts are finished and will never make this same mistake. I am very sorry we did not make your stay with us perfect. I hope that the next time you come to Columbia, you will stay with us again.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Nicely decorated hotel. We booked a junior suite and the room was very large and nicely furnished. Front desk was very helpful and extremely friendly. The bar area has a happy hour with reduced prices on drinks and food. They offer a very nice buffet breakfast. We high recommend this hotel. Will definitely repeat when in the area.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a larger room, book a junior suite. The rooms are very large.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple