“One of those hidden secrets”

Hickory Ridge Grill
Ranked #21 of 265 Restaurants in Columbia
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Another reviewer called it a great neighborhood gem - to which I totally agree. In fact I don't even live near this neighborhood but will go out of my way to go there.

This is a family owned restaurant, the owners are a Greek-American couple, and the husband is the chef. With that in mind - get the Greek styled food - but even better go with the specials. Although the menu consists of a lot of neighborhood restaurant type of items, you will do well to ignore those and go with the good dinners - they often offer scallops, salmon, lamb - cooked well with individual attention. These are the kind of dishes that are a huge cut above the usual neighborhood fare.

We were introduced to this restaurant by friends, and since then we've been coming back often. However - on my own - I probably wouldn't even have given it a second thought as it looks from the outside like a typical quick bite kind of place. Not so - proves the old saying - not to judge a book by its cover.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

Love this place. The owner is very friendly and the food is great. Please support this neighborhood gem!

Reviewed March 4, 2011

Food was good, everything else was pathetic. I will certainly not return.

To start with, the seating in this place is elbow-to-elbow. Yes, my wife and I had our own table, but we were close enough to the next table that I could read my neighbor's blackberry. Same goes for both sides. We had checked the menus online, but the menus in-store are much different - most significantly the prices are consistently $3-4 less expensive online.

We were seated before our neighbors on both sides, but we received our appetizers after one of those neighbors got both an appetizer and their entrees, and the other neighbors got their entrees. We didn't order anything confusing either - pita and hummus. We had to prod the waitress to get us anything - water, a box, a check, etc. etc. It was just bad. If I was rating this based on service alone, it would be a big fat zero.

The food was good though. My $23 rack of lamb was very tasty, albeit meager for a $23 plate. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her food as well, but it was way outmatched by our frustration by the service.

1  Thank kunfushuss
Reviewed March 10, 2009

This is a favorite! I try to eat there once a week and I'm never disappointed. Everything i've had has been delicious, whether its a greek specialty or not.

Reviewed January 25, 2009

The restaurant bills itself as "American cuisine with Mediterranean flair". As this is the case, the best menu items are the Greek specialities. The Yeeroo, spanokatiropita and pastichio are all fantastic. While I did not have them, their other dishes "from the pan" & "from the broiler" looked very good coming out from the kitchen. We will be returning.

1  Thank achaholic