WINNER WONDERLAND

Mission BBQ
Ranked #8 of 254 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Baltimore, Maryland
“Delicious Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

We went to Mission BBQ yesterday to meet friends for dinner. I didn't have high expectations despite rave reviews by the friends. When we walked in, we were greeted by an employee who explained the menu to us. The line to order was out the door so we opted to sit down first and chat before ordering (plus we needed time to decide). There was ample seating despite the line. However, this is not a quiet restaurant. By the time we were ready to order food, the line was still long but it moved quickly. And, the food was worth the wait! Brisket sandwich with Mephis Belle sauce was huge. I had to eat some of the meat with a fork before picking it up. The green beans were made like Nanny used to but with a little bit of a kick. The baked beans and mac and cheese were outstanding. Both the sweetened and unsweetened iced tea were fresh and delicious. We will definitely go back!

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

baltimore
“Just Opened”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stopped at the Mission BBQ two weeks after they opened. The line was out the door on a Friday evening around 6:30. The line moved fast, and they had plenty of seating, as you can sit outside and inside. The turkey was moist and delicious. Husband got the ribs, and he said they were the best ribs he ever ate. No fat. The sides were also good. We are glad they opened up in Columbia and will be returning.

Visited August 2014
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Excellent BBQ Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

I have been to the Mission BBQ in Glen Burnie before, this one just opened in Columbia in the location of the old Chicken Out.

The restaurant is so new the crowds are out the door. They do have 4 cash registers running so service is quick but it can be hard to find a seat once you get your service. Can't wait until the newness dies down and it is easier to get in.

The ribs and brisket are some of the best in the area. Love the numerous sauces you can put on it. It is great that they give back to service men.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious BBQ!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

This place just opened up earlier this week (7/14/2014) and we've only just got a chance to try it today! Neither my boyfriend nor I have ever been to one, but the hype really got us curious. We got there about 15 minutes after it opened and it was already packed - which was a good sign.

As soon as we got in, we were greeted by a friendly greeter at the door who gave us menus to look over while waiting in line - oh yeah, in case you are a newbie like me to Mission BBQ, they are more like a Chipotle service rather than a traditional sit-down place. You walk up to the counter, place your order, get your food, pay for it, then find a table to sit down and enjoy the feast! :)

While we were in line, the same greeter mentioned earlier came by to offer us samples of their Classic #41 sausage - it was amazingly tasty and well seasoned. I had already studied the menu and knew what I wanted but almost changed my mind.

The service was attentive, respectful, and polite. However, they did mess up our order twice (I'm sure it was simply due to how hectic they were) - but they rectified the issues right away, so no complaints there.

The food - I got the lean brisket and two bones of the Bay-b-Back ribs with potato salad and their seasonal sweet (banana pudding) on the side. I like how you can order the ribs by the bones instead of half or full racks. The meats were flavorful and tender - even the lean brisket was nice and fork- tender! I tried a few of their table-side sauces as well, and I personally like the Texas Twang, which has A1 and Worcestershire in it - but my boyfriend who IS from Texas says it tastes nothing like what he remembers as a Texas BBQ sauce. Instead, he says the KC classic tasted more like it.. The potato salad has a mustard and vinegar base with celery and onions in it - I liked it, but for those who prefer the mayo based potato salad may not. I absolutely fell head over heels in love with their banana pudding - it was decadent, creamy, just the right level of sweetness - heavenly! I'd be really sad the day they switch that off the menu, for sure.

My boyfriend had the three meat combo - moist brisket, pulled pork, and the jalapeño cheese sausage with Mac n cheese on the side. He enjoyed the meats and really liked the Mac n cheese!

Overall a very satisfying experience indeed. Will definitely plan to go back again. Another bonus was that our food bill was about 40% less than we'd spend for the same meal at Famous Dave's - even though we still love Dave's!! :)

• Visited July 2014