“Good Happy Hour”

Sonoma's Bar & Grille
Ranked #97 of 265 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Sonoma's offers a good happy hour. $2 off all drinks be it drafts, wine mixed drinks etc. There are also about a half dozen food specials. There was a good crowd, with several large tables perhaps co-workers going out together.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Me and a friend went there a week ago for dinner. It was trivia night and the crowd was definitely in to drinking and playing. We wanted dinner so I ordered buffalo wings and calamari, my favorite appitizers as a dinner. The wings were almost tasteless but had heat and when mixed with the bleu cheese dressing for dipping had a nasty aftertaste. I wasn't sure if it was the wings or the dressing that was off. I didn't finish the wings it was so bad. The calamari was also basically tasteless and a bit chewy. i was greatly disappointed.

1  Thank Nancy G
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I recently had dinner at Sonoma’s on a Thursday night and arrived at the restaurant at about 6pm. Upon walking in we a little taken back as there was no hostess and no “please seat yourself” sign. We waited at the door, where wait staff could see us standing, for about 30 seconds and when no one came to seat us we decided to take a nearby high table in the bar area. As soon as we sat down we were politely told that the table was reserved for trivia night and asked to move to another table. Okay, fine; but why couldn’t we have been just seated properly when we entered the restaurant? I saw other experience the same thing when they entered the restaurant.

The ambiance in Sonoma’s is what I’ll call “Columbia Maryland shopping center bar and grill”. Like many places in Columbia Sonoma’s is in a “town center” and looks like converted retail strip center space. It is an open space, one room restaurant with a raised dining area and a panel drop-ceiling. The bar runs most of the length of the restaurant and the lighting, overhead fans and tables and chairs are all indistinctive. My guess is that most of the atmosphere in the place comes from the sporting events on the multiple TV’s or the crowd activity resulting from the trivia night, live music or other entertainment on their calendar.

Other than when we first walked in, the service was good. Although our waitress passed us off to another waiter without explanation after we ordered, both were polite and attentive and made multiple trips to the table to make sure were weren’t wanting. Our entrees arrived timely and drink refills were offered multiple times.

The food was average bar food; acceptable, but nothing special. My wife enjoyed her mushroom and cheddar burger which was hand-formed and cooked well, according to her. My ½ rack of ribs was tender with an unintimidating barbeque sauce. The fries were good and the coleslaw was fine. Disappointingly, nothing we ate was really that memorable and we considered the meal just another average bar and grill experience.

I’m not sure if we’ll return as they are other restaurants just like this closer to our Ellicott City home. We’re still looking for that “go to” place in Columbia/ Ellicott City.

1  Thank kaneforgov
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Visit on saturday nite 8:45pm, place is packed, good college games on. Only 4 tables open were back of bar, typical small bar tables with 4 chairs. sat down and was accosted by the manager that if I didnt have more people to join me ( there were 4 open tables!) that I couldnt sit there. Looking around, there was no other place to go. He stated they were "busy" and I needed to move. Asked if he wanted me to leave and he said "yes". WOW!

He was extremely rude, so I left. and probably left him with 4 open tables that my friends would have filled eventually, and probably a couple hundred dollars of business. I do hope he filled those tables with a buncha high rollers spending thousands of dollars!? Just Wow, how ignorant can you be as a manager? Who hired this guy? The owner should be ashamed.

Scott

2  Thank scottBalt
Reviewed December 4, 2011

This is a good place for Happy hour. There is outside seating when the weather is nice and it is not usually to overcrowded but we are there on Fridays between 5-7pm so I can not comment on their late night crowds. The food is comparable with typical bar food. Service has always been prompt and friendly.