“The Chefs Wolf Deliver Another Amazing Restaurant”
Review of Petit Louis Bistro

Petit Louis Bistro
Ranked #16 of 276 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2014

If you're in the Baltimore/Washington area and want to sample some amazing French cuisine...next to a quaint lake...then you definitely need to make a trip to Petit Louis Bistro in Columbia, MD. This is the second location of this restaurant (the original is in Roland Park, Baltimore), and it's every bit as good as the first. The husband-and-wife team of Tony Foreman and Chef Cindy Wolf have a number of incredibly successful--and amazing--restaurants in the Baltimore area. If a restaurant's credentials bear their name, you know you're going to get an amazing culinary experience with exceptional service in a unique atmosphere. The menu and food at the Columbia Petit Louis location are truly fantastic...the ambiance and wine list are on-point...the only thing a little lacking is the service. During my first visit, I had five different servers come to the table. There seemed to be a main server, although she was somewhat inattentive. I have no clue who the others were--they didn't introduce themselves. Despite the somewhat chaotic service, the food and desserts made the entire experience memorable.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We had a wonderful time at Petit-Louis. Our reservation from Open Table went without a hitch and our server astutely sized up the meals we chose and suggested perfect wine pairings. Expensive wines- not in my case- my glass of white Burgundy to go with the bronzino and the aubergine dish was only $7. Though service was not efficient, it was courteous, helpful, and every part of the meal tasted wonderful. With a new establishment, it takes time to fine tune, but our first experience here has us wanting to come back for more. We were not the least bit disappointed and though we have noted other reviewers indicating that they experienced noise, slow service, and average food, our experience six months in to this restaurant's opening was positive in every way. We will definitely come back and are delighted with yet another excellent choice for dining available in Columbia.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

If food cooked and served in a French style is for you, then a visit to Petite Louis should be on your list. If you just like to have a drink at a bar with great ambiance, then Petite Louis is worth a trip.

Fantastic French wine list to suit all pockets. Don't feel intimidated by the extensive wine list, I have never been disappointed by a wine recommendation made by the server, I really like the way the menu changes on a seasonal basis. Never rushed by the staff to exit the restaurant despite the many times we were the only table left in the evening.

Ransom's Gin? That was a recommendation by Will Napier. Oregon may be a long way from Paris, but ever since he introduced me to the Oregon producer, I have enjoyed many different Gin cocktails mixed by the excellent bar staff as I purposely arrived early to pleasantly wait for my table.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

The four of us enjoyed dinner outside and ordered many different offerings on the menu. Everything was delicious: Tuna Niciose Salad, Pommes Frittes, trout almondine, Mushrooms du jour, escargot, and an incredibly delicious ice cream sundae du jour. The bread was delicious also and the service quite competent. Portions were generous. The only issue was the pretentious serving of coffee with the French press and an hourglass to "time" the pressing. My husband said the coffee was good but not any better then any other place that prides itself on having good coffee. This is certainly not a "deal-breaker' and we all agreed we would look forward to dinner again in this lovely atmosphere.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We ate dinner for the first time at Petit Louis last night. I was looking forward to the evening since we both love French food and I had looked in at the restaurant another time when we were in the area and it looked like it had a nice atmosphere. We were seated immediately (we had a reservation) and the service was quite good throughout the meal. My husband had the French onion soup, which he thought was fine but not anything special. I had the aubergine croquante, which I enjoyed, For the plat principal, my husband had a dish with chicken and rataouille, which was fine and I had a chicken confit salad, which was fine also. I wasn't impressed by the food, and was disappointed by the noise level in the restaurant. I had to talk very loudly to be heard by him, which is hardly romantic. I will likely try the restaurant again for lunch, and perhaps some day again for dinner if I can sit outside and enjoy the view and hear my dinner companion.