“Excellent new restaurant in Columbia” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Petit Louis Bistro

Petit Louis Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Petit Louis Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 258 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Maryland
“Excellent new restaurant in Columbia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

We've been to dinner (February) - excellent food - and then again for Sunday brunch (March). The food at dinner was excellent! It's definitely upscale bistro! My husband had the duck confit and declared it fantastic. He also had the pate maison, which was wonderful, and I ordered it for brunch when we returned. Their salads are also excellent. The mussels were also excellent. Our daughter ordered the steak frites for brunch and finished it - which she never does - and declared it excellent. Two people ordered the omelette and declared it very good. Another daughter had a Croque Monsieur - and loved it. For dessert, I had the sorbet at dinner, and wanted petit fours at brunch but they were out. Three of us ordered expressos and we could not drink them - it was very bitter and full of grounds, and we all like our coffee strong, including my French husband. We're pleased that we now have another great restaurant in the area. They definitely have the menu down, and it looks like they are working hard on the wait staff training still. We've had excellent service, and so-so service, so I'd say it is still a bit inconsistent - but I'm sure they will work the kinks out soon. We loved the wine selection and found it to be sufficiently extensive with a nice price range for all occasions. The atmosphere is elegant casual, and very warm and welcoming! The prices were reasonable.

Maryland
“Well done”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

Petite Louis is a surprise. Elegant dining is now in Columbia, Maryland. The staff was attentive and knowledgeable. My wife and I shared the green salad and it was very good with a nice vinaigrette. I chose the Trout Almondine and my wife chose the salmon. The trout was a very nice piece of fish, and since we came late for lunch I was surprised to get such a nice filet. It was classic French Trout Almondine with fresh ingredients, as we all expect these days. My wife loved the salmon and made quick work of it. She said that the sauce was wonderful. For desert my wife chose the creme Brulee, which is British but still a very nice desert. It was much bigger than most, and truly wonderful. I wanted the Pain au Chocolat, but those seem to go early in any French restaurant, so I settled for a black tea, and my wife the cafe au lait.

1 Thank bronstein90
Columbia, Maryland
“Surprising”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

The appetizer mussels were excellent, as was my wife's Maison Pate. She loved her main entree, duck confit. I had the veal shoulder and it was very tasty, but the chef didn't remove the silver skin. The special scalloped potatoes were nothing special. The pot de creme au chocolate was very good and filling. We ordered one between the two of us and could not finish it. It was on President's day and there was a good crowd for a Monday. With chicken for two at $48 (does not include any side dishes like the scalloped potatoes) the place is quite pricey.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Burtonsville, Maryland
“Nice addition for the Columbia crowd”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Columbia can tolerate a wide variety and many restaurants. Howard county is home to some the highest income earners and most educated residents in the state. With that said, folks are willing to spend for a good dining experience. Petit Louis Bistro has a limited but varied menu. We were there for dinner. The escargot were delicious. The foie gras was uneven in flavor and begged for a complement of a sweet confit. The paillard chicken had a nice crispy skin but was dry to the edges. The roasted vegetables as accompaniment added just the right touch. The braised veal was tender but covered in a layer of fat. We were not impressed with the policy to serve the Bin 604 wine in the narrow mouth wine stem. This Cotes du Rhone red blend needs a good breath to do it justice. It seems only the Bordeaux and Burgundies rate a balloon stem. Curious. I much prefer the traditional country French preparation of the mousse au chocolat, sans creme. It is not done in restaurants. However, what was served was very heavy, almost cakey. The coffee service using 2-handled cups is not user friendly. Is it appropriate to challenge diners' dexterity just to be different? (I am used to these cups as the elementary level boarding school in Paris used them in the refectory. So it brought back some memories.) I agree with the other reviews that the staff is very well trained, attentive and responsive. The manager made regular rounds. The atmosphere is pleasant; tables are close together in the French tradition. However, it is worth noting that the most excellent bistro/brasserie experience is to be had about 28 miles away in D.C. at Le Diplomate. Now that will absolutely knock your socks off. Petit Bistro Louis cannot compete.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Highland, Maryland
“Excellent French Bistro”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Although the restaurant just opened, this is winner. Food is great, staff is well trained and the space is large and inviting. French favorites like onion soup, steak frittes, and creme brûlée are great. But we loved the whole chicken a l'estragon, perfectly cooked, tender and juicy inside and crispy outside. Another favorite was the valrhona hot chocolate. Restaurant can get pricey very quickly. Assume $75 pp with wine.

Visited February 2014