“Great sushi”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The sushi was delicious and very fresh. The service was excellent. We have eaten there mant times and Will be eating there again soon

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We like to eat out a lot and we make a point to eat at Sushi King at least once a week.
My wife's mother, who was Japanese, went here for years because of the sushi.
When we first enter the restaurant, the staff greets us with handshakes and friendly hellos.
If you come early at night you get a nice warm towel to clean your hands.
The tea is free and is very tasty. The appetizers to try are agedofu (tempura coated tofu), shumai (mini streamed shrimp dumplings), gyoza (fried meat dumplings) and beef neki maki (beef rolls).
If you order a meal, it comes with miso soup and salad with ginger dressing, both light and delicious. Another soup to try is the seafood soup. It has single pieces of seafood (scallop, fish cake, shrimp) so do not expect a lot. It is just enough for the soup you receive.
The lunches are reasonably priced $8.50 and up and there is a variety to choose from including teriyaki and tempura.
Tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet) is crispy and comes with Bulldog sauce (tangy sauce). Una don (b-que eel on rice) is not fishy tasting and is also very good. It is the same eel as on the sushi.
Of course Sushi King would not be sushi king without the rolls and sashimi.
The specialty rolls are fantastic. If you like spicy, try the explosion roll and volcano roll.
We occasionally get the Sushi platter that has 52 pieces ($72). It's a little pricey but so worth it.
We usually have 2 to 3 people eating from it. There are pieces of shrimp, California rolls, salmon, tuna, clams, etc. The restaurant has the standard (but tasty) sushi rolls and also has a list of 50 special rolls that would satisfy any hardcore sushi fanatic.
My daughter orders the dishes that you can cook at the table: sukiyaki and shabu shabu have beef and yosenabe has seafood.
Nabe Yaki Udon is a soup with large thick noodles and seafood also good.
The desserts are worth a try. They have different kinds of mocha (strawberry my favorite, mango, vanilla, green tea) and tempura fried ice cream.
Keep in mind that the restaurant does open for lunch (11:30 to 3) but closes to prepare for dinner which is from 5 to 10. The restaurant closed on Sundays and certain holidays.
On special occasions, they even have nicely decorated mini cakes.
We cannot say enough wonderful things about Sushi King. A must go.

1  Thank MoonpieLFC
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

not knowing that they close from 3-5pm my friend n i got there at 2:55 and they told us to sit b hurry n order then they got one sushi ready but the other one was not ready yet so it was weird to not wait for the other one by the time the other sushi plate got to our table they handed us the bill already and a lady kept hovering over us to check if we were done...we felt uncomfortable and rushed the whole time!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This place is so amazing. Of course sushi is pricey, but it is TOTALLY worth it here. They also have the BEST miso soup that I have ever tasted. When I want sushi, I want SUSHI KING!!!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Staying in Columbia, MD for a week....did a lot of research on nearby Sushi restaurants. We opted to try this one, mostly due to decent reviews. Upon entering the restaurant, I thought that I had wandered into a storage room, but it turned out to be the foyer. When we entered the actual restaurant, we were greeted and seated promptly. I ordered the sesame seaweed salad, my husband ordered the seafood soup and we ordered 3 speciality rolls to share. My seaweed salad was delivered almost immediately. It was oddly sweet instead of savory. After thinking they had forgotten my husband's soup, it was delivered with two of the three sushi rolls. His soup had 1 scallop, 1 shrimp, 1 piece of fake crabmeat and one other piece of unknown seafood. The seafood was not small enough for bite size and he said the broth just tasted like salt water. The sushi was disappointing. One roll contained some warm rice, mushy tuna and barely detectable roe. One roll contained warm rice, rubbery shrimp and fake crabmeat. They finally brought the third sushi roll which turned out to be fake crabmeat wrapped in a large amount of lettuce. None of the sushi rolls seemed to match the description on the menu. The prices were some of the most expensive I've ever eaten for sushi....around $15 per roll. Our water glasses were never refilled except when the manager(?) happened to walk by. One sushi chef spent more time joking with a waitress than making sushi. The decor was tired, the wallpaper was peeling and the baseboard could have used a good cleaning. The cloth curtains leading to the restroom were visibly dirty and food encrusted. I won't be back here. I'm hoping for better luck at the other two sushi places on my list for the week.

Been to Sushi King? Share your experiences!