“Pleasant Surprise In Columbia”
Review of Bangkok Garden - CLOSED

Bangkok Garden
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Love this restaurant. My daughter and I go at least once a month. We have the Pad-See-Eaw and it is delicious. The service is great, there is a waiter there that knows what I order and I don't have to do much but be seated. I've never had an issue with the quality of the food and I enjoy it every time.

1  Thank Gloria Z

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I have eaten here before and it was outstanding, but this time left a bit to be desired. The beef in the Pad Tai beef was so tough, it could not be chewed and was cold. The coconut milk soup was good, but the chicken was old and tough, and again difficult to chew. I have had better and this is disappointing because I liked to eat here when in town. The smell as you walk in is terrible which is a big turnoff.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The closest thing I have found to real Thai food in the US. Columbia is not hotbed of great food so I was really pleased to find Bangkok Garden. I work here often and am always looking for a good place to eat. Had Som Tum, Cashew chicken and Pla Ra Pik. Lots of places tone down the spices but here if you order it spicy expect to get spicy. Loved it. They were very busy and service was a little slow but everyone was very pleasant and accommodating.

1  Thank wickhdm
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'll start by saying that our server was quite personable and attentive and the food came quickly. It wasn't very busy, so I can't speak to how it would be at other times, but we were at least pleased with the service.
The chicken satay was quite tasty. The rest of the meal was less than stellar. Between my husband and I we had three different types of meat in our dishes (chicken, pork and shrimp) and none of them tasted very fresh. The pork pieces almost had a gamey quality about them. One thing I will say in their favor, though, is that the vegetables were cooked pretty well - still had a nice little bit of crunch to them.
The pad thai was also way overly sweet. The dish should have some sweetness to it, but this was bordering on dessert.
Speaking of dessert, we probably shouldn't have bothered with it, but they offered bua loy, which can be hard to come by and is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, this was not actually bua loy - there was no taro in the little "nuggets," they were just slimey, multicolored rice balls and there were roughly half a billion of them in my little bowl. I mostly just ate the sweetened coconut milk out of it like a soup. In retrospect, the menu didn't mention taro, but it didn't register at the time, so I take some responsibility for that disappointment.
Finally, compared to most Thai restaurants in the area, the prices were a little high. Not too much more, but for sub-par food it seemed worse.
Overall, there are much better options in the area. Little Spice in Hanover and Thai Cafe in Glen Burnie come to mind and I'm sure there are others.
You have a lot of alternate options. I'd recommend going with one of them.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We arrived at 7:30 for our reservation and were seated immediately. Then things went down hill. We waited 22 minutes for our server to bring water. We asked questions about the sweetness of the sauces and how some of the noodle dishes differed. We explained to her what we were looking for in a dish. Everyone of her recommendations or explanations was off base.

While we planned to take tastes, each of the four of us ordered a dish we wanted since our dietary needs/tastes are different. Three of our dishes arrived 30 minutes after ordering. We waited for 15 minutes to begin eating as the food cooled down. I waved for a waiter to come over since we did not see our server. He saw me took two steps to our table and then turned away. Five minutes later our server came out. We asked her where the other dish was and she said it was special order and took longer to cook (neither the menu nor server said identified additional cooking time). Five minutes later she finally brought the fourth dish.

Food was average Thai, certainly nothing to travel for. Maybe if we lived in the neighborhood we'd give it another try, but not worth going out of our way to return.