“Taste of New Orleans ... Sort Of”
Review of Copeland's of New Orleans - CLOSED

Copeland's of New Orleans
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Eldersburg, Maryland
“Taste of New Orleans ... Sort Of”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Copeland’s of New Orleans in Columbia, MD, on the day after Christmas. The malls were packed but the restaurant was nearly empty, and we were greeted and seated immediately. We each had a non-alcoholic beverage while looking at the menu while munching on some baking powder biscuits brushed with butter. We both decided to try something that would reflect Copeland’s New Orleans heritage. My wife ordered Pasta Shrimp Copeland ($14.49) consisting of shrimp, garlic, mushrooms, fresh herbs, and angel hair pasta. The pasta and the shrimp were cooked perfectly, but the herbs were lack-luster and I’m pretty sure they were dried and not fresh. I choose the Shrimp Etouffee ($14.99) which is shrimp in a dark roux-based sauce seasoned with garlic, green onions, and spices, ladled over white rice. Again, the shrimp were cooked perfectly but the spices seemed a bit flat. The rice was indeed just plain white rice and it was a little dry (more sauce would probably help). The service was good; the atmosphere is a little dark, and the prices reasonable. If you’re going to give Copeland’s a try, go online and join the Copeland’s eClub – you will get an e-mail worth $10 off your next purchase of $25 or more.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Charlie S

Williamstown, NJ
“Attentive service”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

If you like spicy food then this might be the place. We, however, found it to be a bit too spicy. We went Christmas weekend and had a lovely table with nine people including two in their 70s and a 5 and 7 year old. One child loved their kid's shrimp but the other did not like their hamburger. The chopped salad was fresh though it was a bit heavy on the dressing and the chicken was indelibly spicy. The mahi mahi was a good substitute for the salmon they were out of. The past dish with shrimp was too spicy but they willingly prepared another one without spice which was fair. The biscuits were delicious. The children's waffle sundae offered on the menu is really not available as the waffle cone, whipped cream, and cherry couldn't be part of it so really it is vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce. No price change though. The pricing is fair and affordable for the portion sizes. It is directly across from a mall and there are plenty of other restaurant choices around so if you don't particularly care for Cajun style food than this would not be the right restaurant for you.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank dblivy
“Great atmosphere and service. Okay food”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I had a taste for some New Orleans cuisine today and therefore decided to try Copelands for the first time. My hope was that it would either meet or surpass the quality I previously had at local New Orleans restaurants. We arrived a little after 3pm. The restaurant has a nice ambience. Apparently we came at the end of a live band performing jazz music. Our server was Vicky. Vicky is the reason I rated Copeland "very good" versus "average". She was very personable and helpful in making dish choices. She insisted we try the biscuits and brought two out for us to try. I can go on and on about the awesome service Vicky provided. I ordered the blackened catfish with red beans and rice and green beans. The food was okay. My son ordered a crab ravioli small plate @ $8.00. Unfortunately there were only four raviolis. If we do the Math, that's $2.00 per ravioli???..... Because he was still hungry, we ended up ordering a shrimp w/ mac n cheese kids meal. This was much more sizeable and filling. For dessert we ordered a slice of pumpkin cheesecake. This is really what I consider cheesepie because it is the "no bake" and is not as rich as a real New York cheesecake. I don't think it was worth the $8.00 at all. Overall, I think the atmoshere and service was top notch, however, the food and dessert was not impressive.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank kee146
Baltimore, MD
“Great cocktails and service but ok food.”
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

My sister chose this restaurant for her birthday dinner. We went at 8:30 on a Saturday and they were out of gumbo which was disappointing. I had the corn and crab chowder which was good but a little spicey. The other dishes we ordered weren't impressive, fried shrimp and pecan catfish. The Mardi Gras punch and our waitress were great. With so many options I don't know if we would go here again.

1 Thank Chris M
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great dishes”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've dined at Copelands on several occasions and have yet to find a dish I didn't like. The shrimp Orleans is one of my favorites. Their steaks are also quite tasty (but I must admit they have had issues with temperature on occasion) I like mine med-mid rare but it seems if you add a blue cheese crown to the steak it will often arrive over cooked. I highly recommend the mashed sweet potatoes as a side!

Visited June 2012