“Viva Brunch”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The best brunch and Cadiillac Margherita in the area. This is the place for the best Mexican drinks in the area. The bartender is spot on and pour is to be appreciated. The staff and owner try hard to please AND THEY DO PLEASE.
I cannot wait to go have brunch here again.

2  Thank Bruce Z

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I visited in May, 2013 with my husband on a lovely evening and we started with drinks on the patio (faces the parking lot but still it was a lovely evening) followed by a uniquely tasty Mexican dinner. Service was mixed, the waiter forgot to put in the order for my veggie side dish that I ordered as my meal, so I had to wait as my husband already had his entree. Nevertheless, we looked forward to our next visit mostly because we enjoyed the food and atmosphere. The next one started out as badly as the first visit had been good as our party of four was seated in back at the booth closest to the bathroom. Service and food were okay but it all seemed pricey given the total experience. Our next visit was much better, on a slower night. We had tacos - mine were so-so because they had sopped up a lot of liquid by the time they got to me and fell apart on the plate. Otherwise, I liked the flavor of the tasty corn tortillas as I ate them with my fork. I like the authentic taste of the food and will go back for sure.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

While I have written at least one glowing review of this restaurant since it opened, I am now feeling much less inclined to praise the Xitomate experience after a poor dining visit this past weekend.

First, as many other reviewers have mentioned, the initial chip/salsa basket/bowl is measly. You can basically count on ordering (and paying for) another round unless you are eating alone. And be advised that the salsa has a ton of chipotle spice, so those who do not appreciate this flavor will find it less than appealing.

Second, it is hard to find something appetizing on the menu unless you have an adventurous palate. The offerings are exotic and regional, and there are few conventional options for those who are expecting a "normal" Mexican restaurant. In fact, we overheard another party complaining about not seeing "queso" on the menu, which probably says more about them than the owner/chef, I suppose. I ended up ordering two appetizers instead of choosing an entree, as I am not comfortable paying upwards of $20 for a so-called Mexican dish.

Third, the taste of the food is becoming more and more chipotle-infused and thus less complex. My pork flautas and chorizo sopes had the same overall flavor.

Finally, the service has become borderline horrendous!!! Our waiter was fantastic, but the gentleman who brought our food was rude and disconnected. My sister initially received the wrong dish (chicken shouldn't smell like seafood...) and my wife did not receive her dish at all. When the server returned, we informed him of both mistakes, and he responded by moving my sister's plate (already slightly consumed) in front of my wife and telling my sister that he would return soon with her meal. He returned promptly...with the same dish! So we had TWO of the wrong dishes, one of which had been eaten. He quickly rushed away while we tried to explain the problem, but he returned a few minutes later to a. remove my wife's partially-eaten dish and b. supply my sister with her meal. 10 minutes later the problem was solved, yet we were all perplexed and perturbed by that point.

Oh, and one last thing: the kitchen closes waaaaaaaaay early - 9:00 - 9:30 p.m.

Positive points: 1. The margaritas are fantastic. 2. The decor is awesome.

1  Thank SrP100111
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We dined at Xitomate last evening in a party of 5. The service was was very good, the server was attentive and friendly. The menu is somewhat upscale, and the tequila list is well rounded (although not as extensive as Azul 17). For those who ordered them, the margaritas were very well done. As noted by another reviewer, the salsa is very tasty but comes in very small contained- the size of an individual take out serving. Way too small for people sharing a basket of chips. The house standard guacamole was fresh and flavorful. We asked for medium spiciness, and it was a little under that, but better than too spicy for the mother-to-be in our group.

The pollo burrito was a favorite, and decent size. The tacos al pastor, while on the small size, were excellent. The filet burrito was also nicely done.

Dessert of fried plantains, caramel sauce and french vanilla ice cream left us all stuffed, but it was a good size to share (plenty for the group after the main course) and absolutely delicious.

We will return.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

The first thing that most people have to realize is that this is not a tex-mex restaurant it's a Mexican restaurant. Don't expect queso with you chips or other tex-mex things. We first checked this place out when it first opened and decided to return again.

People seem to either love or hate the nachos. They are served fresh and they are thicker then you see in most tex-mex restaurants. My wife, kids, and I loved them. Everything including the salsa has a smoked taste to it, so if you are not a fan of that flavor this might not be the place for you. Last time we came both my wife and I tried the tacos, we weren't really impressed that time. This time we branched out. I got a Tilapea dish and my wife got a chicken in cream sauce dish. Both were excellent. They have a great selection of alcoholic drinks. No matter whether you are a fan of margaritas, tequila, beer or wine they have something on the list you will probably like. Since the first time we visited they added a kids menu. My kids like the selections. The service was excellent.

Been to Xitomate? Share your experiences!