“Go for the creative turn on traditional food; avoid the watered margaritas”
Review of Xitomate

Xitomate
Ranked #73 of 263 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We tried Xitomate both at lunch and dinner times. Love the transformation and decor of the place & the knowledgeable and friendly service. We did not find the serving sizes to be undersized as we ended up taking part of our meal home. We've sampled the empanadas, tacos, steak, fish, and variations on guacamole and found all to be absolutely delicious. The margaritas, and we've sampled 4 options on the menu, consist of a large serving of ice with a tiny bit of drink. We'll return for the food and will be judicious about ordering any bevarage that is priced as top line liquor but is essentially just ice.

1  Thank Springtraveler06
There are newer reviews for Xitomate

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Xitomate is trying to be an upscale restaurant, or at least that's what I gather from the prices they charge. It's basically very overpriced run-of-the mill Tex-Mex food, but with very small portions. I had ordered the chicken tacos, it came with two very small, and I mean VERY small soft corn tortillas filled with chicken and fried onions. The ratio of chicken to onion was paltry, they should have called it an onion taco! It came with a side of black beans and rice, and for the prices we paid they could have at least served more of these. There was literally 1/4 cup of each on the very small, square plate on which it was served. Then, there was the margarita... Xitomate bills itself as a tequila bar. To me, this means different kinds of tequila, as in 100% agave, barrel aged, different brand levels like Parton Silver... instead their idea of a tequila bar means different flavors. They actually have a pomegranate flavored margarita! I ordered the "house" margarita flavored margarita (lime!), it was good but I have to say, while it tasted strong, it wasn't. I'm a light-weight drinker. Usually one margarita is all I can drink. After drinking this margarita, I could have another one, no problem. I don't know what they put in it to make it taste strong, but it wasn't alcohol. One other thing that bugged me, the chips and salsa are free, but they serve the salsa in a teeeeny little container. If there are two tablespoons in it, I'd be surprised. I asked for more, I wanted to put some salsa on my onion, I mean chicken, tacos and they charged me $2! At the end of the meal, when I received the check, they had tacked on an additional $1 tax. I asked what that was for and the waitress responded that it was just something they did. So... she received $1 less in her tip, that's just something I do. My overall take on Xitomate is that they think that people in Columbia are rich and stupid and will pay too much for mediocre food if they think it's trendy. Don't go hungry, you will leave poor, and still hungry.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This restaurant opened recently in the space formerly occupied by Donna's. They have an excellent variety of Mexican food, all of it well-prepared. Although we didn't have the guacamole, prepared at your table, it is one of their specialties. Their margaritas are excellent, and reasonably-priced. The cream of poblano and corn soup tasted of the essence of the pepper, and the house salad was nicely dressed and large. For main courses, we tried the salmon, which was moist and perfectly complemented by the vegetable accompaniment, and the chicken enchiladas, with an interesting, not too spicy, sauce. Both dishes came with a side of cilantro-flavored rice, which added a delicious accent. The service was excellent. The only caveat about this restaurant is that it is extremely noisy (some would call it energetic, and it is certainly that), so that it was sometimes hard to hear. The restaurant has entirely hard surfaces inside, so there was no softening of the noise level. This didn't seem to bother the lively crowd that filled the place on a Saturday night.
P.S. to the restaurant: Your website should include your phone number on the home page

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Empanada with that mole sauce is so delicious paired up with the "Horny" ...yes I said "Horny margarita" is delish!I had their enchiladas which were good. The hubs ordered some shrimp dish and it was just ok. The dessert was fantastic....We had the sample not knowing what to expect and it hit the spot although very tiny samples. I cant wait to go back. The salsa is delicious too!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The margaritas with some spice are amazing - love the spicy salt rim! The mango infused one (I don't even like mango) was the best margarita I've ever had. Loved the thick chips. Smoky salsa and fresh guacamole were great too. Steak tacos were really good, chicken enchiladas averagely good.
We also had a really nice server, she was funny and helpful with good recommendations.

Been to Xitomate? Share your experiences!