“A Most Enjoyable Option” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ale House Columbia

The Ale House Columbia
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ale House Columbia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 252 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ellicott City, Maryland
“A Most Enjoyable Option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

There are plenty of dining choices in the Columbia area but my first visit to the recently opened Columbia Ale House proved very enjoyable. The choice was spontaneous and it proved to be a good one. I am familiar with some of the creative people behind this venture and I was not disappointed.

I went solo and sat at the bar, behind which is a dazzling array of taps offering dozens of drafts. I intended to order a salad but after observing what a few folks nearby were eating I opted for a juicy burger with all the trimmings, washed down with a Boulevard Brewery draft. It was the perfect pairing at the end of a busy day.

One thing that truly impressed me was that the manager approached and cheerfully inquired whether I was enjoying myself and encouraged me to let him know if there was anything he could do for me. Then he thanked me for visiting.

I will definitely give the Ale House another try, and maybe then I'll have that salad.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank mrktwise

Ellicott City, Maryland
“Good "Upscale" Bar Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We decided to try the Ale House after getting a good review from a friend. Wen on a Sunday evening and it looked to be about 50% full, but we were told wait would be about 10 minutes. Ended up waiting about 30 seconds till another hostess came back and seated us. The decor is all new and has a clean modern look. A complete redo from the restaurant that was there before. Music was a little loud but not overly so, seemed to be playing mostly 90's alt rock which we kinda liked. We were seated near the bar but it wasn't too loud to have a conversation.

We checked out the beer and drink list and it looked quite interesting. They really do focus on ales, as well as other full flavored and/or hoppy beers like porters and stouts. I would have liked to maybe have a few more choices of lagers, hefeweizens, etc. Also an interesting selection of large bottle rare beers, some of which are quite expensive. I liked that for drafts they have a number of different sizes available, although I think the prices may be a little higher because of it. My wife tried their pineapple chili margarita as she is not a beer fan and she really enjoyed it, it had a nice mix of sweet and spicy. Our server was very nice and enthusiastic, he described the menu and made some recommendations on his favorite dishes.

We decided to share some appetizers, so we tried the diavolo mussels which were in a nice tomato based broth with sausage slices. They were a nice sized portion plenty for 2 people. We also tried the pulled pork sliders and the fish tacos. The sliders were quite good, and were a nice size. Rich barbecue sauce with a hit of vinegar and very tender pork. Also had some slaw and fried onion straws. They didn't come with a side but if you added one you would have a nice sized meal. We were very impressed with the fish tacos, they looked a little small but were really stuffed with fish, probably could have used a slightly larger tortilla. The fish was sauteed nicely and had a little bit of spice, they also had slaw and an avocado slice.

Overall we enjoyed the Ale House and would try it again, prices might run a little high, but not out of line with similar restaurants in the area.

• Visited June 2013
Columbia, Maryland
“Sunday lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I took my wife to lunch on a Sunday in early April. The place is newly renovated and the interior is nice. There are plenty of TVs to watch sports on. I ordered a burger and fries. It was a standard pub burger. The food was good and the atmosphere was nice. In my opinion, it was a little more expensive than it should have been (10-20% more) but maybe I'm just cheap. I still recommend it.

Visited April 2013
“Very Enjoyable Across The Board...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

If you are looking for a place that has good food, great atmosphere, TV's, and outdoor seating - you found it here. The salads, starters, flatbread's and mussels are excellent. I would recommend trying them all. The main courses, the ones that I have had are good. The beer selection is great. There are many choices to make, so you will definitely find one that fits your taste buds.

I would recommend this place to everyone....

PS: Parking is tough, so use the free valet...

• Visited June 2013
Elkridge, Maryland
“Excellent all around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a wonderful place for any meal, for any occasion. They have a wonderful beer selection as well as a small but wonderful menu. We have gone there as a family with our toddler as wellas for date nights and never been disappointed by anything we've had. The service is always prompt, and friendly.

• Visited May 2013