“Great new restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ale House Columbia

The Ale House Columbia
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ale House Columbia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 260 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
silver spring
“Great new restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Just two weeks after opening, The Ale House Columbia is packed with people enjoying a great meal and a good time. Parking is a problem they will have to solve. I suggest parking in the lower lot, away for the restaurant, and walking up. Or across the street at the Wal Mart. Reservations are recommended.

For an appetizer, my daughter and I shared the mac and cheese with mushrooms. Other toppings include lobster, sausage, pulled pork, and others. The mac and cheese was delicious. We didn't try it this time, but the mussels also look like an appetizer well worth sharing.

For dinner, I had the braised short ribs. Absolutely incredible! Served over garlic mashed potatoes, the short ribs were flavorful and tender. I finished everything on my plate.

The Ale House has a very wide selection of quality beers on tap, including about a dozen of their own. Loved the beer list.

Service was excellent. Will definitely be back.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Great food...Good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

My fiance and I happened upon this restaurant on their 2nd day open. It was definitely very crowded in there so I was a little nervous when we found out that they had just opened. The food was very good and the service was good...especially since they were probably still working out some kinks. The atmosphere is very nice...kind of like an somewhat upscale sports bar. The bar area is very nice and with lots of big TVs (good if you want to watch games)

Columbia, Maryland
“The Alehouse in Columbia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Opening Night of the Alehouse in Columbia...NOT to be confused with the Columbia Ale House! No matter the name...it's making a big impression!

We've been hoping something good would come in to the property that was our beloved Rocky Run (nostalgic - le sigh!) and Alehouse in Columbia has hit most of the necessary notes for success! Great job, everyone! Here's my first time review.

Looks:
WOW! They gutted the property and prettied it up! Sophisticated grey tones, stainless steel, luxurious booths, high top tables, bar stools with backs at the beautiful bar, and tables for families (if they *have* to come here - Really? There's an Appleby’s at Snowden - go there! Seriously, there aren't enough grown-up establishments in Columbia - let us have a few please? Like... it's a baby...in an Alehouse!)
/rant
But the exposed beams, open ductwork, and the decor lend a super upscale feel to this building. Even the bathrooms were super luxurious! But guys watch out for those sinks that look like one long open trough...just saying.

Drinks:
Oliver Breweries has so many numerous craft beers it should make Frisco’s (literally down the road!) nervous. But I wish they also had local favs like Yuengling on tap for us non-beer snobs. The gorgeous Rachel was determined though once she saw my disappointed face at no Yuengling to find me a tolerable substitute. After trying countless samples I settled on a lovely English brown ale called 3 Lions (7.5% ...so only one, please) and a fab Raspberry Cider. Yum. Seriously, please bring in a few domestics on tap for us regulars to quaff.

Food:
The menu was impressive. Our table (in the circular booth, thank you!) shared Brewhouse pretzels with Blonde Ale cheese fondue with garlic & herb crust (See pics: generous and Yum!) and Crispy Buffalo Shrimp bathing in a blue cheese pond (see pics). Great portions and reasonable prices. They also had Mac & Cheese your way with $7 with Lobster (add another $7) pulled pork +$3), and Andouille (+$2) mushroom or roasted jalapenos (+$2) or short rib (+$3). Need to try one of those! BTW, the Flatbreads are Pizzas (not sandwiches) and are quite large enough to share. They also had Kobe Beef sliders (3)- we didn't have them but we saw them walk by and they also looked like a must try!

Staff:
Rachel, one of our fav bartenders from another Columbia landmark is there! (See pic) and she's AMAZING! Blonde, beautiful, bright, funny, smart, and so on her game! (See pics!) We also met Jenn who reminded me a bit of a Tina Fey Liz Lemmon combo was awesome. Of course, being the first night - everything was new but she was a delight. We were also honored to meet the one of the owners, Justin who was really nice, and the friendly GM John, and Arnold who was snarky, funny, and reminded me of Rocky Run's iconic bartender Jeff (old school shout out - we miss you Jeff) Everyone was super nice! They even had Complimentary VALET parking. Maybe because this was the opening night - but still with that frenetic parking lot, it was a nice touch!

TV's:
If you're a sports fan - this is your place! (Minus the inexpensive domestic drafts) the technology in the place was outstanding!

FREE WI-FI for My Geek peeps!
Log into Alehouse - Guest & put in "alehouse" - my iPad & iPhone say- Thank you!

Buzztime Trivia?
Sadly, no. A lot of daily trivia regulars will bypass this place because they didn't bring in our bar trivia - thank goodness Sonoma's has it.

Patio:
Fans of Al Fresco socializing will love this place...once they get the furniture! Looks like this will be the super FUN place to hang out this spring! Though they promise to have outdoor heaters and maybe even a fire-pit! Glass garage windows will open the bar up to the outside - this is going to be a fun place to people watch -Hello Boxers & Sport Cuts....how YOU doin? Oh and those that are still cool and smoke (wry grin) this will be a place for you, too. That's ok..it's outdoors and it's an ALEHOUSE. Nuff said.

In summation:
Will this be our new local place to be mid-week regulars? Without Buzztime Trivia, Yuengling, and at these Ale prices?...maybe not. But I can totally see it being a great place to hang out for games, Fridays, patio sitting & people watching and a really sleek place to get great service, exceptional food, and exotic well-made craft beers!

Great job, everyone!