“Fantastic 'hidden' secret restaurant”

Cafe in Nordstrom's
Ranked #35 of 265 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My wife and I absolutely love the baked salmon and vegetables prepared in a Mediterranean style with olive oil and herbs/spices. The spicy black bean soup was equally superb.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

The food at this cafe is very good. The service situation is annoying. You stand in line to place you order and then take it on a tray to your table. If you want a drink, you get it yourslelf at the soda fountain. Then, suddenly, a person shows up and says, hi, I'm your server. Really? Then how come I just carried my own food and got my own drink? The server then proceeds to come back and ask you if you need anything 15 times (interrupting conversations) so you know they are your SERVER. Yes, we get it. When you are about to leave, they show up with 10 cent candies on a check tray with a note that says thanks for letting me server you so you will know they are expecting a tip. Sigh.... So of course, it is not employee's fault that you are tipping them for mostly self service, so i leave a tip. I'm sure Nordstrom's pays them less to compensate for their tips. But I inevitably walk away annoyed and wishing I had eaten somewhere else where the service model is more clear. Nordstroms, either make them real servers or find them a job elsewhere in your store where I actually would appreciate their service.

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I know I'm going to regret this but I have to say it for the benefit of all those who go to the mall in Columbia. This is the best place to eat. My wife and I eat here all the time. Most recently I had a bowl of she crab soup , it was excellent. We split a balsamic pizza. It was the best pizza I've had since I was in Rome. It was fantastico! The only suggestion I could have for the people at Nordstrom's would be to try and get the folks through the line faster. It's cafeteria style but there is a very pleasant wait staff who helps you with everything you may need. Including fetching additional items like dessert if you like. I ask the young lady for half decaf and half regular coffee and it wasn't a problem

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We eat here quite often and, amazingly for a restaurant in a department store, the chef will alter how he cooks a dish to meet my wife's food sensitivities. The service is rather interesting in that you go through a line t pick your meals and then a server will bring your choices to your table, refresh drinks, etc.
The food is always fresh and good. Desserts, unhelpfully, delicious. We usually go after the dinner rush and the noise level is acceptable. Elegant, well decorated setting - a welcome break from food court madness.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

and have lunch at this Nordstrom Café in the Columbia mall. We enjoy the quick service here very often. Their own tomato soup is the best anywhere. Their menu is short and we often have a sandwich and soup. The breads are quite thick. The shrimp risotto is delicious, the pizza ok. It is a very noisy place, however, perhaps because the ceiling has some metal inserts. I think the Café needs a different décor. The Café in the Bethesda location is very good, also. The lines can be long, but they move quickly at both locations.