“Wonderful”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Pennsylvania
“Wonderful”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have very high standards when it comes to hotels. And once again, Hampton Inn met those standards. I have never seen a hotel lobby as large & modern as this one. You felt as if you were in a boutique hotel in NYC! The only thing we felt was missing was a small refridgerator in the guest room, like many of the hotels in this price range do have. The location was great & the room was spotless & beautiful..which is the most important thing to me! And the staff was very nice & professional.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The front desk staff was very welcoming and accommodating. I was initially scheduled to stay one night and decided to stay an additional night. My suite was well organized and comfortable - nice open space. Plenty of room. I really appreciated the self controlled thermostat. I highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure. I plan to return as soon as time permits.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room facing the parking lot allows for visability to your vehicle/parking lot
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Center Moriches, New York
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I don't know how this could be rated the #1 hotel in Columbia. It's far from it.

I booked a four night stay at The Hampton Inn and Suites Columbia/South based on the positive reviews here on tripadvisor. The week before our trip, I called the hotel to see if we could check in a day early. The man who took the call said the room we originally booked wasn't available, but he could put us in a king suite for $89.00 and I told him to book it. I received a confirmation email and thought everything was set. Boy, was I wrong!

After a 6+ hour drive in horrible traffic we arrived at the hotel only to be told that we didn't have a reservation. I showed the front desk clerk my confirmation email. She very coldly informed me the hotel was sold out and the person who I spoke to didn't complete my reservation and we were out of luck. There is a softball playoff in town and the hotels were booked up. I explained that we had a long day, and asked if there was anything they could do. She tried to call a manager at home, but to no avail. I asked her to leave a message for him to call me ASAP. I did not relish being stranded in Columbia, Maryland on a Saturday night. I never heard from the manager. The clerk showed absolutely no concern for our situation. The lack of customer service skills this young woman demonstrated was unacceptable. How do you NOT have a manager with authority on the property for a sold out Saturday night? AND no one available to call in the event you have a problem?

The Hampton Inn shares a parking lot with Marriott's SpringHill Suites. I called there on the off chance they had a cancellation for the night. Luckily, they had one room left. Not only were they completely professional and courteous, the hotel was much nicer, and they matched the room rate at the other hotel dispute the regular rate being much higher.

As a footnote, the Hampton Inn lobby was small, and you couldn't even tell where the front desk was. It looked more like a kiosk. In contrast, the SpringHill Suites lobby is warm and inviting with a bright, modern look and well trained, professional staff.

Shame on the Hampton Inn for treating us so shabbily. You've lost our business and I'll make it my business to let people know.

Room Tip: Get names! If you decide to stay there make sure you know who took your reservation and confirm and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank radiiochick
CoryCartwright, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
We’re sorry we didn't provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff as prior reviews can demonstrate. We are investigating and addressing the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.
Disputanta, Virginia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Hotel staff was very helpful and the hotel is very new. Rooms were spotless and linens were clean and fresh. A/C worked great. Front desk gave us great recommendations and directions for local sites and the manager was kind and polite. Will certainly return to this Hampton.

Pacifica, California
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Great place. Stayed for 5 nights. All staff members were very friendly and helpful for the entire stay. Beautiful, updated room. King suite was PERFECT for two people to share. Pull-out bed was very comfortable, and easy to access/put away. Nice large desk, easy for two people to be at the desk at once. Free full breakfast, with a very nice selection.

Room Tip: Go for the king suite
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay. We appreciate your time and are pleased to hear how great your stay was. We will share your comments with our team and celebrate the successes that we have brought to you and many others with a perfect stay.
Washington, DC, United States
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I had business near Baltimore and needed to fly out of BWI, so I chose this Hampton Inn. It is a very new property and very contemporary. The staff was very friendly and professional. The breakfast was excellent and the sweet shop was huge with lots of snacks and options. The internet connection was free and FAST. And there are several great restaurants nearby. This hotel is definitely one of the best Hamptons I have ever stayed in. It is about 15 - 20 minute drive from the airport. Very convenient. I will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My room, excellent. Loved the bed, TV, The small area with microwave, refrigerator and sink was just what we needed. The bed was so comfortable it's got me thinking I need a new one. Just enough items to choose from at breakfast. Try I you'll like it.