“Hidden treasure with excellent food” 5 of 5 stars

Maiwand Kabob
Ranked #57 of 250 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Halal, Persian, Afghani
Good for: Families with children
Description: In addition to the original Maiwand Kabob at Harper's Choice, this site combines a fine dining room experience with the takeout options & extra menu choices and specials.
Washington DC
“Hidden treasure with excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I travel a lot and love Afghan and other central Asian food. Was very happy to stumble on this place for lunch. The food is fresh, tasty, and grilled to perfection. I had the Kofta kabob which came with rice, a salad, naan, and yogurt cilantro sauce. I also had the samosas. Delicious and healthy. The interior of the restaurant is quite nice; for lunch they do a fast-casual service and dinner is a regular waiter-service. So the interior is pretty fancy for lunch and a nice surprise and treat. The guy at the counter was very nice and made some good recommendations.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank travel-crab

Ellicott City, Maryland
“A "Sit Down" Dinner at Maiwand Kabob”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I love the Maiwand Kabob over by Arundel Mills Mall because of the great food and low prices. The atmosphere there is nothing to get excited about, however, as you have to wait in line to place your order, then either find a table in their somewhat crowded store or take your food home to eat. However, the newly-opened Maiwand Kabob at Columbia Crossing has a nice atmosphere, table service, friendly staff, and the same great food and low prices as the carry-out locations. They also have a couple of dishes that are only available at this location. No alcohol is available, but they have some very tasty mango and strawberry shakes that I would highly recommend. I'm assuming they are yogurt shakes, but they don't clarify whether these are ice cream or yogurt shakes. Anyway -- They're good!! My favorites on the menu -- any of the amazing appetizers, the chicken kabob, and the chicken and pea curry. My husband is partial to the lamb dishes. And, as usual, their naan is fresg, hot, and out-of-this-world good.

• Visited March 2013
Columbia, Maryland
“Used to be the best......now its not”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Dont know if management has changed or what but Maiwand Kabob has fallen off. Two of my friends got food poisoning from it and I got raw salmon from there!
This place was my go to spot and now I have to stay far far away from it. The food they give to go is lacking and you pay a lot of money for it. The quality is so incredibly bad now it s a shame!
Be careful and check your food twice before leaving.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank RKMax
ELLICOTT CITY
“The Best Spot In Town For Afghani Fare!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

From the time we walked in until we left the experience was top notch. The aromas were wonderful when we first opened the doors. As we approached the order counter a very personable young lady (the owner's daughter) was helpful with the explainations of the different dishes on the menu and the special of the day. The decor was nice and the tables clean and nicely spaced. Our meals came to us piled high with nice warm rice, bread and our entrees. My wife had the Kabuli Pallau with Lamb, one of the Weekend Specials. I had the Sabzi Challow..Spinach with Lamb and a Side Salad; very tasty all. Our server checked on us several times, keeping our water glasses filled and answering any questions we might have. I will return and recommend that anyone having a "hankering" for tasty Afghanistan food pay a visit to this wonderful restaurant!

• Visited December 2012
maryland
“Very pleased!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We checked this place out on a cold and miserable Sunday afternoon based on Trip Advisor's good reviews. We were really happy with our meal. The prices were not bad, especially for Columbia. The meats were very tender and seasoned well. I had the chicken and my husband had the lamb special. We tried 2 appetizers- the pumpkin and the eggplant. There was a lot of moisture in them, which might bother some, and a lot of yogurt, but the flavors were nice. Overall we were pleased and will definitely go again to try some other dishes. Also the inside of the restaurant was nice and inviting with good middle eastern tunes.

• Visited December 2012