“Rude front desk staff. What shuttle?! And no manager onsite to talk to”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Kalamazoo, United States
“Rude front desk staff. What shuttle?! And no manager onsite to talk to”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I will start by saying that this is one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. But no amount of cleanliness makes up for downright terrible customer service. Most of the front desk staff was horrible, the "Free shuttle service" was horrible, and when I attempted to speak to a manager and ask for the services to be improved, I was told that the manager was not around, and "sorry that you are frustrated", and then I was just stared at like that was the end of the conversation.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

GeneralManager8320, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

I want to first thank you for your recent stay at our hotel, though it was an unpleasant one. I know it has been a while since you wrote this review, but I am jsut getting back from being away.

I am not sure what happened with our complimentary shuttle service, nor why our front desk person could not handle it in a more profesional manner. Accoding to the time of day, a manager should have been available. And if not, a manager shuld have been in contact with you upon their return to property.

I do welcome the opportunity to speak with you, so that a viable solution to this issue can be made. At your convienence, please contact the hotel and ask for me so this issue can be discussed further.

Sincerly,
Norman Eaton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I would give this hotel an average rating altogether. I stayed there with my wife and young child while we vistied family in the area. The room was clean, the bathroom was spotless, and the bed was very comfortable. There's plenty of parking, and there are 3 chain restaurants on the same street, all within walking distance. There were 4 , but the Applebees closed in april and is now vacant. The breakfast was plentiful, and the eating area was large enough to accomodate a lot more guests than what I am used to seeing at other hotels that offer free breakfast. However, I couldn't understand why the little things were skimped: no cream provided for the coffee, only "non-dairy creamer". Grapefruit was simply cut in half and tossed into a bowl. To actually eat one, you had to take the time to cut it up yourself with a plastic knife. My biggest disappoiintment was the room size. It's advertised as a suite but it is very small, to the point of making me feel claustrophobic. After a long trip, I would have like to find a spot on the floor to stretch out my back, but there wasn't one big enough to accomodate my frame (I'm 6'3""). At bedtime, it was hard to find a decent place to put my 2 year old's pack and play. The sink is in the bedroom which only adds to the feeling of being cramped. You can expect to hear everything in the hallway--slamming doors, people talking--- and in the room upstairs from you. OK for a one night stay I suppose, and certainly fine for a solo traveler who spends minimal time in the room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Ok hotel. Elevator carpet needs a deep clean. Free breakfast is ok. Could do with less watery oatmeal. Comforter cover does not entirely close in the comforter so make sure you have a flat sheet as well.

Coram New York, United States
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I stayed at the above hotel during a recent Business Trip and found that all hotel staff were excellent with any dealing I had with them. They were helpful in all matter I dealt with. The Breakfast was great and aways warm and plently full excellent job

Rochester, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2014

All I need to say is don't not leave anything out you don't want touched or stolen. Other than that this hotel was very nice, good location, updated furnishing and well maintained. They do need to put a larger garbage can in the kitchen though. Oh Yeah and hire English speaking US citizens to do the housekeeping.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Noneya, United States
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I first enjoyed Homewood Suites in Florida and I'm amazed at the quality of the suite, the quietness of it and the low price! I was not let down when I stayed at the Homewood Suites in Columbia, MD. It had all of the above PLUS nearby restaurants: Bob Evans, TGIF and Olive Garden. Who could ask for anything more?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Richmond
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Had 3- 2 queen bed suites for 14 people. It was exactly as expected! It was the perfect stop between DC and Baltimore. Surprised by the wonderful restaurant options literally across the street. Hot breakfast had something for everyone. Great service!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends