“Ideal for several couples visiting D.C. area”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Port Perry, ON
“Ideal for several couples visiting D.C. area”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

This property is located in a suburban setting close to major highway access, restaurants, and big box retail. It caters to long-stay business travellers and families looking for more space. We were staying with another adult couple.
Our suite had two bedrooms, each with its own bath, and shared a common kitchen and sitting area. Not only did we have a place to socialize, but splitting the cost of the suite saved us some money. Wireless internet, buffet breakfast, local shuttle, and parking were all included; there’s also a complimentary buffet in the evening (Mon.–Thurs.) which is substantial enough to qualify as dinner. There is an outdoor pool and spa.
Although the furnishings in our suite were dated (the hotel was undergoing renovations while we were there), everything was clean and in good working order. Our suite was quiet and the bed comfortable. Our suite was fully cleaned and all supplies refreshed each day.
Despite some problems early in our stay with faulty room keys (we were there a week), we found the hotel staff to be friendly, courteous, and helpful.
We stayed in Columbia because it was located roughly equidistant from Washington, Baltimore, and Annapolis. A few minutes’ drive got us to the interstate, and in twenty minutes we were at the Greenbelt Metro (subway) station. From there, we reached destinations in downtown Washington in about twenty-five minutes. Baltimore was even closer, with the trip to Camden Yards (home of the Orioles) and the nearby Baltimore Harbour taking about twenty minutes by car. The Maryland state capital, Annapolis, a small, well-preserved eighteenth century seaport and home to the United States Naval Academy, took about thirty-five minutes.
All in all, a good location and a good hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Traveling-Trojan
HomewoodSuitesSocial, Social Media Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Hi! Thanks for the great review. We appreciate your kind words and feedback. We hope you will consider our hotel should you return to the area. Safe travels!

Heather Harris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
Houlton, Maine
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My wife and I recently joined 3 other staff for a retreat in the DC/Baltimore area. We were looking for the nicest, most affordable housing option while we were down there, and one that would split a happy medium between Baltimore and DC. I discovered the Homewood Suites in Columbia, MD, and was thrilled to discover the option of a 2 bedroom King, 2 bathroom, with a living room which had a pull-out couch. For five of us to stay in the same suite, have ample space, and pay under $200/night including breakfast and dinner at the hotel with free parking was spectacular! The pool and hot-tub were nice, the gym was excellent (with free weights, too), the staff very helpful and kind, and it was the perfect place to be with easy on and off access to the freeway headed for DC or Baltimore. Homewood Suites helped to provide us a fantastic staff retreat.

Room Tip: I worked directly through the Homewood Suites website, and discovered the room and rate I needed.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
HomewoodSuitesSocial, Social Media Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Thanks for the great review! We appreciate your kind comments about our guest suites and our staff. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights on a weekend in July 2011. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are spacious. Our room consisted of a small kitchen with good size refrigerator, stove top and microwave with small dining table. The living area included desk, sofa, chair and older style television. Our separate bedroom had another older style television, two beds and attached vanity area and mirrored closet with separate bathroom consisting of shower/bath and toilet. The beds were extremely comfortable. Our room was quiet and the a/c worked well. We understand the hotel is currently under renovation for updating although we didn't see any sign of it.

Breakfast buffet is included - and was typical hotel breakfast food. On Saturday & Sunday mornings, the breakfast is available until 10AM. At 9:30, the buffet and dining room areas were extremely crowded and noisy and the food choices started to become limited.

Several restaurants including Applebees, McDonalds and Bob Evans are just across the street. Just down the road a bit there is a larger shopping complex which includes Costco, Trader Joes, On the Border and more. The hotel has great access to highways as well.

A comfortable stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank luvmyjhawks
Thank you for your great review and kind comments. We greatly appreciate your feedback about the breakfast area. We hope to see you soon should your travels bring you back this way. Safe travels!

Wilbraham, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed here with the family when we were down in Maryland for a fair. I was impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms and the friendliness of the staff. They allowed for an early check-in when we arrived 2 hours early.

Only two areas of constructive criticism:

(1) Had to ask multiple times to get a crib for my daughter even though I told them I needed it when I made the reservation. This happens at every hotel though.
(2) Breakfast was good. My 2-year-old daughter liked it but the room was uncomfortably warm and humid. They did not even have the ceiling fans running.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Traveling from South Africa and wanted to get close to Washington DC for sight seeing I went on Trip Advisor ratings and was so happy I did. This is a fantastic hotel and I would highly recommend it. The only reason why I give 4 points for the restaurant is because it is self service with plastic cutlery. But food quality and range deserves a 5.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
dallas,tx
Reviewed June 21, 2011

There was so much to like about this hotel that it's hard to know where to start. Excellent breakfast and evening meals, terrific service, very clean, etc. The evening meals, which they have Monday through Thursday, I believe, was as good as anything you would get going to a restaurant and was included in the price of the room. Even the general manager could either be seen walking the hallways or in his office with his door open. Don't see that too often. The hotel was tucked out of the way but surrounded by restaurants and very easy access to I95. The trip into downtown Baltimore was simple and quick. Make sure if you are with kids to head down to the harbor and tour the USS Constellation. Our kids loved it. The room was a bit pricey, but being that close to Baltimore, I don't know if the rate was really out of line with what you might expect to pay if you stay in town, but with a whole lot more amenities. My wife really loved the pillows and wanted to take them home with us. The only complaint I have is that the living room and kitchen area of our 2 bedroom/2 bath suite was pretty cramped. You actually had to move some of the furniture out of the living room to open the sofabed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank DallasDad
Elkridge, Maryland
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I had been very stressed out from my job and I wanted a night to just get away and have somebody else take care of everything. I came in during a very busy night, I do not know exactly what was going on but there were many people moving out of the "Maryland" Room, one of the hotel's meeting rooms. At the Front Desk was Ryan and he Jesse I had come in to go to the bathroom and when I returned to check in Jesse had left to help clean the occupied Maryland Room. I could tell that Ryan was new, but he helped check me in and he gave me excellent ideas of where to eat for the night. He told me about the amazing dishes at the Olive Garden which I had never been to, he also suggested the local T.G.I. Friday's which was located in the same area. He handled answering the phone and helping a guess in the hotels shop. I was very impressed with my check in. When I arrived in my room. It was wonderful, I had not stayed in a hotel in a couple of years and staying in a suite room was amazing, the next morning I saw Ryan again in the kitchen and he told me about the blueberry muffins that they had just made, I ate three! I will be coming back to this Homewood Suites!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo