“Excellent staff and very nice rooms with a great breakfast.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Columbia

Hilton Garden Inn Columbia
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Annapolis, Maryland
“Excellent staff and very nice rooms with a great breakfast.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great stay and a great price. You get more than what you pay for. Peaceful and nice surroundings. Close to shopping areas and great resturants. The landscape is nice especially the hotel lobby. It has a fireplace (gas). The pool area is great if you like to swim or the hot spa. Best time to go is after tourist season and then you have th pool area to yourself.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Beavercreek, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

This property is not new, but my room was mostly clean and updated. Very nice staff, and a good location for my business needs. In-room Wifi worked great which was essential to me. Room temperature control worked well and wasn't too noisy. Room was nicely sized and appointed. Bed was comfy, and my top-floor corner room was quiet. I liked the mini-fridge. I appreciated the small specialty drink samples and cookies on the check-in counter. The happy hour seemed very popular, and breakfast was made-to-order.
Just a few glitches: 1. The fire alarm went off in the middle of the first night there. It was a false alarm, and I understand this has happened before at this hotel. If I were the manager, I would do *everything* to solve this technical issue. We did receive a "Sorry for any inconvenience..." letter under our doors, so okay, they apologized. 2. My corporate Travel Agent stated that they had negotiated breakfast to be included in my rate, but that turned out not to be the case. If breakfast is important to you, you might call ahead. 3. My bed had someone elses' hairs in it (about 3 long black hairs, whereas I have short blond hair), and the bathroom wall (around the toilet) had some nasty spots... I would think they would use wallpaper that can be effectively cleaned. 4. The hair dryer in my bathroom had a switch that must be held in continuously for the dryer to work - this aggravated my carpal tunnel but that is minor.
All in all it was pretty good for this area, and I would probably stay again.

Room Tip: Top floor facing the pond is quietest.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was a very clean place. very accommodating staff. A quiet place, great breakfast included. well located. Really a find. I stayed two days, my friends three . I have never been in Columbia Maryland before, we visited an old friend, found this place online. (actually my wife did) We all had pleasant stays.
Jeremy T

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeremy t
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Love my Hilton points! HGI is the same in every city...you know what you are getting which is dependable and a good thing. This location is convenient...not too far off of Rt. 95. Complimentary coffee & Tea were off to the side of the check in desk, cookies were waiting on the counter...and also on the check in counter was a small sample of a specialty drink from the bar...I like that! These little touches are appreciated after the long travel & traffic! I Thought the drink sample from the bar was a nice marketing idea for the bar too! The rooms were comfy and clean...mini fridge, coffee pot, and microwave. Flat screen TV in a cupboard...which you could NOT see if sitting at the desk...TV did not pull out and swivel like other locations. One thing I did not like was, I heard talking and the TV from the room next door. Walls were a bit thin. There are a couple restaurants close by but you pretty much have to get in your car to do things. Not much in walking distance. I have stayed here a few times for business travel and it works out fine. I just prefer a hotel in walking distance to more stuff...I am in my car too much and when I get to the hotel I hate to get back in it! Overall, I do recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shersei
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Clean rooms and everything is nice and convenient.

Didn't notice it until we the last day but the couches and chairs in the common areas on thee main floor have some rips and tears.
Really the only eyesore in the whole place

Very friendly and professional staff

Great snacks

Food was awesome (the cook, big black guy, is super nice and cooks up some good chow !)

Service was the very best of any hotel that i have ever stayed at
Each and everyone of the ladies and gents who work in the kitchen/bar/dining area deserve a real pat on the back. You never have to ask for a drink or anything, they are always there before you can even have to ask.
All of them are friendly and greet you with a smile.
Wish I got all their names but there was Tracy and a younger black girl
and young red haired German girl. They were all so nice and are the most attentive and hard working staff I have ever had the pleasure of being around.

Maintenance guy is also friendly but i do think it strange to see him delivering meals to the table sometimes (one minute he has a wrench or a mop, the next minute he is brining you a plate of bacon and eggs LOL !)

Next time I am in the area I will be sure and stay here and nowhere else

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Room was clean and well appointed.maid service good. Breakfast had large menu and was a good value. Other food opportunities nearby. The location is convenient to all of Columbia. This is good value particularly with their low weekend rates. One suggestion is that they install treads in the tub as it was very slippery.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Good hotel except that the fire alarm went off several times one night. Did not look like the staff on duty really knew what to do.... Had her head down on the computer while guests were walking around confused as to what was happening. There could have been someone letting people know that it was a false alarm and apologizing. Had it been a real fire, would there have only been one staff person around??? After we went back to our room the alarm went off a few more times and then the light continued to flash inside our room for quite some time. The next morning the very least there could have been a sign with an apology but nothing was acknowledged. Pretty poor handling of this situation. I shudder to think what if there was a real fire???

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Singusa
George P, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay and if you were given any impression that our concern was anything but to correct the problem quickly and to everyone satisfaction. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the fire alarm situation you and your family encountered. Let me assure you that every effort was made to resolve the situation as quickly as possible, and that our alarm servicing company made every effort to locate their technician, he was unfortunately was not able to be reached until 3:00 AM and arrived at the hotel at 3:45 AM. It is unfortunate at there was a breakdown in their system. Additionally it was me who called the fire department and insisted that they come out when it was evident that no one was going to leave the lobby till they verified what was already known that these were false alarms and there was a problem in the system which needed to be resolved by a trained technician. Rest assured that had there been anything I could have done to correct the problem without violating the city or county ordinances I would have done that immediately. In every other case of false alarms they can be resolved within 30 minutes. We can assure you this was an isolated incident that we do not expect to happen again soon. We hope you will consider staying with us again.