WINNER WONDERLAND

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: RT.175
Description: The newest Indian restaurant in Howard County.
Columbia, Maryland
“Closer Than India”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

Flying to Mumbai for afternoon brunch several times a week would be great, but not really necessary when we have "Flavors of India" here in Columbia, Maryland (especially if one has to get back to work in the afternoon).
So for less than the price of a snack on an air-flight you can truly savor the flavors of India right here in Columbia.
Having eaten here many, many times I can honestly say that never on consecutive occasions has the selection of food on the brunch ever been exactly the same. I'm amazed at how they can exchange one delicious dish for another. The variety is truly wonderful.
And I have to agree with an earlier reviewer who was commenting on how warm and friendly the staff and management are. They do make you feel like you are family.
So although it may be just a little off the beaten path - located in a warehouse corporate section of Columbia - it's still a lot easier to get to than Mumbai, and you'll save thousands of dollars.
Enjoy! esp

• Visited June 2014

Sykesville
“We love this place, as often as we come back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

My wife and I both love Flavors of India, even among the other excellent Indian restaurants in Columbia, MD. We really love their lunchtime buffets, especially on weekends and we come for those most Sundays and when my wife is not teaching. We have come to be accepted as more than good customers and are treated almost as family when we arrive, by both the manager and the waitstaff.

The food is excellent and diverse, and includes lots of fine veggie dishes as well as varied chicken and goat dishes. There are condiments and relishes for those who "like it hot," but the food itself only has a fairly gentle bite. The normal buffet contains everything from soup and appetizers to tea and dessert, all for one amazingly low price. This place strikes us as a real bargain.

One of other things we love about Flavors is that even after we are finished eating, the staff and management will let us sit there for another hour or more and work on our crossword puzzles and drink their delicious chai. Not all restaurants will do that. The cost for this excellent service and delicious food is also surprisingly modest, even on weekends. In the past, when we told the manager that we would be bringing some friends with us to lunch, he has asked us to call him a day or two before to make certain that any special dishes we want will either be on the buffet, or will be brought to our table. The service and courtesy of the management here are absolutely first rate.

There is a full dinner menu as well at Flavors of India, but we have become hooked on this wonderful weekend buffet. It has become almost a structured part of our work week, and we rarely go anywhere else to eat out.

If you like Indian food, and you do not yet know Flavors of India, you really owe it to yourself to give it a try. We really believe you will not be disappointed.

• Visited June 2014
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Southern India find”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

It's so rare to find a restaurant providing more than one dish from south India regions. The menu here is chock full of them. We did take-out for our first try, but will probably try eating in next time. The dosai was good, the vindaloo as spicy as we like, and the garlic naan was fresh and wonderful. Not as happy with the Mulligatawny soup, which was light on vegetables. We are used to getting rice with our main dishes, but they did not provide any. However, they did gift us with rice pudding for dessert!

• Visited May 2014
Clarksville, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our New Go-To Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

This restaurant is fantastic. Absolutely the best Indian cuisine in the area. Unfortunately, it's rather hidden away - which probably explains why it's never very crowded.

The service is second to none. The manager and waitstaff were personable and efficient. On my second visit, the manager immediately recognized my family and what we ordered on our previous visit. The waitstaff suggested a special dish that wasn't on the menu - and it was delicious. All of the food has been great. The waitstaff have provided my family and I with complimentary appetizers and desserts. The restaurant as a whole is consistently impressive.

The menu is extremely diverse. It has something for everyone. Every item i've tried I've loved. The lunch buffet is also diverse, and all of the options are always delicious.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for amazing service and Indian cuisine.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Arianna J
Columbia, Maryland
“We'll be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

We went to this restaurant to use some of our Restaurant.com credits. VERY glad that we did.

We had dinner from the menu on a Thursday night. We started with an appetizer to share of samosa chatt. We've had samosa many times, but this was a first to have it with the chickpea topping on it. Very good flavor.

My entree was their goat curry. I was asked if I wanted it to be mild, medium or hot. Hot sounded like vindaloo level, so I said medium. For me, it was actually mild so next time I would say medium hot. The sauce had a good mix of spice flavors and the meat was tender. Of course, there were bones.

My wife's entree was chicken tikka. It was served on a sizzle platter on a bed of sliced onions and peppers. Also very good.

They gave us a generous portion of basmati rice. We also ordered garlic naan and two mango lassi. There was a complimentary order of papadam with the trio of spices to start the meal.

Total price including tax but not tip was $54 before discount of the restaurant.com coupon.

This was one of the best Indian dinners we have had out. We've been to a lot of Indian restaurants and cook a variety of dishes at home. We will go back to try their lunch time buffet some day. That will decide whether or not this restaurant replaces Royal Tai as our #1 Indian restaurant in Columbia.

The owner or manager made frequent stops to talk with us and other guests. We enjoyed his presence and shared conversation.

Although the restaurant does serve alcohol, the owner said that the food itself is halal if that matters to you.

• Visited April 2014